HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 5:55 PM

One of the major reasons people retire to the Pittsburgh area and PA in general is it is one of the states that does not tax your retirement income.

12 States That Won't Tax Your Retirement Distributions - AARP

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 9:25 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I can't imagine living in a place where it's cold and dismal for months, especially as a retiree. I get down and out even here, if we have more than a couple of days in a row where it's not sunny (like today). Sometimes we can be foggy, cold, and drizzly for a solid week, and I go crazy. But people have different values regarding what makes them happy.

I would be happier in an ultra-sunny place like Phoenix if it weren't for the type of older people there (I'll forego an explanation). Palm Springs would be my kind of place, but that's a dream considering how incredibly expensive it is.
It's not really that cold and dismal for months. Really...the worst thing about winter in the Northeast is when it gets windy when it'c old and the short daylight in December and January. Everything else is manageable.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
My mom and dad are now retired and have stayed put right here in Chicago.

Why?

Easy, their 2 kids and 5 grandkids live here, along with other relatives, and a crew of lifelong friends.

There is no weather anywhere in this universe that could ever hope to offset those fundamentals for them.
Yeah, my dad retired in 2006 and my mom in 2008. They're staying put in the house they've lived in since 1978, which they paid off in 2008. They love the Los Angeles area and they can't imagine living anywhere else. At their age, I can't imagine them picking up and moving.

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions