HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:41 AM
recession proof

^Yeah I mean celiac. I'm also lactose intolerant, fructose makes me sick, and now I think I'm allergic to corn. My brother has the other CD: Crohn's Disease. I had something similar to your son as a baby - spent the first 2 months after birth in a hospital. Another sibling had colon cancer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:54 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
^Yeah I mean celiac. I'm also lactose intolerant, fructose makes me sick, and now I think I'm allergic to corn. My brother has the other CD: Crohn's Disease. I had something similar to your son as a baby - spent the first 2 months after birth in a hospital. Another sibling had colon cancer.
You have my sympathy. I’m celiac but can still eat more than my wife as she is allergic to dairy and soy as well. Soy is in EVERYTHING now! I can’t eat tomatoes though which is really shitty since I miss ketchup, tomato soup, pizza and spaghetti. Allergies suck. You literally feel discriminated against when attending dinners with family, friends or work colleagues. Thankfully my immediate family is also celiac (my mom, brother, wife, father in law and brother in law).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 4:05 AM
recession proof

Do you have Scots/Irish ancestry? I can't eat tomatoes due to their acidity. Yeah eating out is painful and I now have my reflux under control by always cooking at home. I bring my own food on the rare occasion I'm invited to someone's place. You're right, traveling isn't much fun anymore: another reason I want a small van/RV.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 6:36 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Do you have Scots/Irish ancestry? I can't eat tomatoes due to their acidity. Yeah eating out is painful and I now have my reflux under control by always cooking at home. I bring my own food on the rare occasion I'm invited to someone's place. You're right, traveling isn't much fun anymore: another reason I want a small van/RV.
I’m 1/4 Scottish and 3/4 French but it comes from my mom’s Quebec francophone side. My wife is of German ancestry. Tomatoes are a night shade and surprisingly common allergen. I react more immediately to them than wheat. Gluten gave me extreme fatigue and brain fog vs tomatoes extreme bloating, indigestion and even vomiting. Most celiacs are also lactose intolerant because they’ve damaged their villi. Basically any foods that are harder to digest seem to affect us more. I’m borderline lactose intolerant (can have cheese, butter and occasional cream in coffee but not straight up milk).

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 13, 2021 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:00 PM
Fake News

In case some hadn't seen the memes in question here are examples:

The montage:

The JLo edition:

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 13, 2021 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:11 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
That moment when you reach into your pocket for the keys and realize you just locked yourself out of the house again.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:58 PM

I'm about to turn 28 in a month, and when someone asked my how old I was the other day I almost instinctively said 26. It subconsciously feels like the last two years shouldn't count and life should pick up where we left off in 2020. I'm lucky in the sense I didn't have to deal with having kids around all day, or missing the first two years of actual university life, or having elderly parents to worry about, but I still feel cheated out of what should've been two of the best years in the prime of my life.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I'm about to turn 28 in a month, and when someone asked my how old I was the other day I almost instinctively said 26. It subconsciously feels like the last two years shouldn't count and life should pick up where we left off in 2020. I'm lucky in the sense I didn't have to deal with having kids around all day, or missing the first two years of actual university life, or having elderly parents to worry about, but I still feel cheated out of what should've been two of the best years in the prime of my life.
I try and keep this in mind whenever I deal with people: I've had it easy during this whole thing.

I didn't lose my job, I didn't have to reconfigure my life around kids in and out of school at random, my family is close and not going off the internet deep end. I didn't lose formative years or miss events that I won't be able to get back.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I feel like this when it comes to sports. I was already in the older half of players at my rugby club before 2020, but at (now) 27, still in my prime* athletically.

*prime being used relatively here - I'm always just barely in shape enough to keep up on the field most of the time - it's not an especially high level of rugby.

But after essentially two years off, in the last month we have finally been able to run actual competitive rugby games in Ontario. I've gone through a few ups and downs fitness-wise over the pandemic, anticipating an imminent return to competition that never came in 2020, then essentially giving up through the winter, then trying to ramp back to play in NY this spring. I'm finding it VERY hard to stick with my fitness enough to even get through practices, let alone actual games. Old injuries are playing up in ways the didn't before, I'm spending all my HSA coverage on physio...

At one point my goal was to keep playing men's rugby until 35, which the age you get to play "old boys" rugby. After how hard it was playing in the spring, I said to myself okay maybe 30 is a more realistic retirement age. This fall though, I don't know about that even. I just got married, I'm spending lots of time doing house renos and stuff, picked a project car. So I don't even have the same lifestyle as I did before, that might have given me more free time to put the work in to get back.

I fell as if we had never been interrupted by covid, I would have been able to manage a gradual decline in my abilities and kept trucking along for a few more years. Instead I feel like I've been knocked off a ledge and can't get back up.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Had some colt cigars as well
those things were my cheaters on numerous occasions when I tried quitting smoking (something I would do every 4-6 months, from the time I took up the habit [14 years old] until when I finally kicked it for good [35 years old]). The thing is, I inhaled them! Terrible.

51 going on 52, alas. I am even older than Ben Affleck
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I fell as if we had never been interrupted by covid, I would have been able to manage a gradual decline in my abilities and kept trucking along for a few more years. Instead I feel like I've been knocked off a ledge and can't get back up.
It is really bad for some seniors who stayed active into their 70's and 80's. If you stop biking or swimming for a year at age 78, getting back into it can be difficult. And the seniors who are not active at all tend not to do well.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is really bad for some seniors who stayed active into their 70's and 80's. If you stop biking or swimming for a year at age 78, getting back into it can be difficult. And the seniors who are not active at all tend not to do well.
Definitely. Both physically and mentally - you gotta use it while you got it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 9:51 PM
Ham-burgher

"I can't believe I'm the subject of so many memes. By the Canadians especially... they must still be pissed about Argo."

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 10:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
those things were my cheaters on numerous occasions when I tried quitting smoking (something I would do every 4-6 months, from the time I took up the habit [14 years old] until when I finally kicked it for good [35 years old]). The thing is, I inhaled them! Terrible.

51 going on 52, alas. I am even older than Ben Affleck
Aren’t they terrible?! I have a neighbour several doors down who smokes them in his garage and I can smell it in my garage. Awful stench. He smokes them every evening.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 10:40 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I feel like this when it comes to sports. I was already in the older half of players at my rugby club before 2020, but at (now) 27, still in my prime* athletically.

*prime being used relatively here - I'm always just barely in shape enough to keep up on the field most of the time - it's not an especially high level of rugby.

But after essentially two years off, in the last month we have finally been able to run actual competitive rugby games in Ontario. I've gone through a few ups and downs fitness-wise over the pandemic, anticipating an imminent return to competition that never came in 2020, then essentially giving up through the winter, then trying to ramp back to play in NY this spring. I'm finding it VERY hard to stick with my fitness enough to even get through practices, let alone actual games. Old injuries are playing up in ways the didn't before, I'm spending all my HSA coverage on physio...

At one point my goal was to keep playing men's rugby until 35, which the age you get to play "old boys" rugby. After how hard it was playing in the spring, I said to myself okay maybe 30 is a more realistic retirement age. This fall though, I don't know about that even. I just got married, I'm spending lots of time doing house renos and stuff, picked a project car. So I don't even have the same lifestyle as I did before, that might have given me more free time to put the work in to get back.

Sorry to hear Covid robbed you of your prime playing years.

Used to play lock in highschool. Now I’m 38 and would probably keel over trying to catch my breath.

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 14, 2021 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Sorry to hear Covid robbed you of your prime playing years.

Used to play lock in highschool. Now I’m 38 and would probably keel over trying to catch my breath.
I'm generally a lock as well - but this year, the combination of front rows being in short supply (guaranteed playing time!) and people generally expecting less fitness out of the position, I've been playing loose head or hooker. It's been a real education in getting folded in half lol.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
"I can't believe I'm the subject of so many memes. By the Canadians especially... they must still be pissed about Argo."
I actually watched Argo last night because of this thread!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 1:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don’t find this meme especially relatable as these days I’m feeling very fortunate and grateful - but, that said…

I’ll be 40 before the end of this year. I all but had a mental breakdown turning 20 but have had no issues aging through my 20s and 30s since. Turning 40, though, is dredging up some of that familiar fear. Even if Im lucky, my life is about half over. That’s terrifying - it’s so short. But at least I’ll be celebrating it in my own house again, not literally living with my parents

I have absolutely zero patience with or interest in children so no issues there. And I’m glad for it given the state of our climate. I’m torn between disappointment that life is so short, and relief that my generation is going to enjoy a mostly familiar, easily habitable planet - and may be among the last to do so.

Im definitely an elder millennial, most of the things in those stupid lists apply to me, but I do have a bit of FOMO watching Zoomer culture/worldview/humour. It’d be creepy to interact with it beyond enjoying the tiktoks - but I’ve got a lot of admiration and respect for that generation.

And, of course, there’s my ever-present distaste with having to work for a living. I’ve enjoyed working from home, a sort of Capitalism Lite, but OMG what I wouldn’t give to be able to stay in bed and only get up to go hiking or downtown lol

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Im definitely an elder millennial, most of the things in those stupid lists apply to me, but I do have a bit of FOMO watching Zoomer culture/worldview/humour. It’d be creepy to interact with it beyond enjoying the tiktoks - but I’ve got a lot of admiration and respect for that generation.
It'll be interesting to see how Generation Z takes up the reins.

My anecdotal evidence (notes your signature) seems to indicate they'll be harder in the sense of being more practical, but without the arsehole mentality that previously characterized very practical people.

They won't have the pie-in-the-sky idealism of some Millennials (You can be anything with sunshine, fairies and rainbows!) that made that group grating, but they won't have the embittered cynicism of Generation X, nor the closed-minded views of "Back in the good old days..."

But again, anecdotes aren't evidence as you so wisely remind us.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 1:49 PM

I'm tired of "this" too, but for different reasons. I'll turn 50 in the spring, and the past 5 years have been the absolutely bonkerest-busy years at work. Trouble getting enough bodies for the work. Diverse projects that eat up tons of time more than expected. Procedures and standards falling to the way-side just in efforts to keep the "fires" down to a minimum. Zero emphasis on training, development or succession planning.

Then add COVID into the mix for the past 18 months and suddenly you're also trying to facilitate / gear-up 200 people trying to work from home with mixed success. All while doing all the other stuff.

The golden lining is I should be able to retire @ 55.

Will I have a stroke or aneurism first? We should start a pool...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada