HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 1:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Eastpointe is a declining, high-crime near-slum, drained by white flight. It's basically an extension of Northeast Detroit, which is the worst part of Detroit. Immigrants aren't headed to Eastpointe.

And immigrants aren't gonna go to the Deep South, Appalachia, rural areas, etc. They came here to work and start businesses. The fact that you can buy a home in rural West Virginia (or rural Sicily for that matter) for $1 is irrelevant.
I'm sure you're right about Detroit, that was a 2 minute Zillow filter search in Michigan. However, that doesn't mean America doesn't have affordable places for immigrants to settle in. Also, that was Zillow, there are even cheaper options for immigrants to find homes, shared rooms on Craigslist. They could probably find a room for a couple hundred bucks in many cities across America.

Also, re-read my post. I was specifically talking about refugee immigrants (almost always poor). Not a highly educated person from London or Paris.

Large refugee immigrant communities don't pop up in wealthy areas, they settled in slums, poor areas or the most affordable parts of town and then build it up from there.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 4:19 PM

it would if the green card quotas were increased

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 4:39 PM

I have been in suburban New York for the past year. Anecdotally, there are a surprisingly large number of European immigrants in the area, including people from the Balkans and Eastern Europe.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I have been in suburban New York for the past year. Anecdotally, there are a surprisingly large number of European immigrants in the area, including people from the Balkans and Eastern Europe.
I even saw a Ukrainian one in long island city today

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 12:26 AM

My numbers were off for the number of immigrants from the former Yugoslavia. 61,000 in the Toronto-Hamilton area, by far the largest in NA.

Last edited by Docere; Jul 20, 2021 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 3:45 PM

Has anyone compiled a total number of European immigrants in the last 10-20 years?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 3:53 PM

At least in the U.S., it has to be relatively small numbers. The creation of the EU open trans-national work permits, and the addition of Eastern European countries into the EU, greatly reduced demand for immigration outside of Europe.

Though maybe Canada still has substantial intra-Commonwealth immigration?

As an aside, we've used a handyman who is a German national with Albanian birth/background, and in the U.S. undocumented, and arrived in the last decade. I'm really curious what motivated him to be off the books in North America, assuming he really has German citizenship.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:19 PM

Ironically the MAGA Right is so against the diversity lotto but the White share is actually higher than for overall immigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divers...isa#Statistics

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan31 View Post
Has anyone compiled a total number of European immigrants in the last 10-20 years?
3,915,557 from Europe applied for the diversity lotto this year but only 1.15% were accepted.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
At least in the U.S., it has to be relatively small numbers. The creation of the EU open trans-national work permits, and the addition of Eastern European countries into the EU, greatly reduced demand for immigration outside of Europe.

Though maybe Canada still has substantial intra-Commonwealth immigration?

As an aside, we've used a handyman who is a German national with Albanian birth/background, and in the U.S. undocumented, and arrived in the last decade. I'm really curious what motivated him to be off the books in North America, assuming he really has German citizenship.
There are still probably well over 60 million people outside of the EU in Europe and that's excluding Russia.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
3,915,557 from Europe applied for the diversity lotto this year but only 1.15% were accepted.

So it's a matter of choosing not to admit Europeans, not a lack of will on behalf of the Europeans.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 8:27 AM

I think this depends mostly on US government policy.

The situation has changed since this thread was created. Between Brexit (which means a visa application is required to move to London as well) and Covid (where the US is open, and was mostly open during the pandemic while Europe had and continues to have repeated lockdowns), there would be a lot of interest among young Europeans.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:00 PM

"These South African farmworkers were hired under the H-2A visa program, that enable farmers to hire foreign workers for up to 10 months at wages that are set by the Labor Department. There is an increasing demand for niche high-skilled labor in the agricultural sector. Also the overall demand for farm labor has increased due to immigration from Mexico declining, with many Mexican immigrant farmworkers abandoning farm work in favor of construction. South Africa, which has an unemployment rate exceeding 30%, is now second only to Mexico, in H-2A visa holders and the NYT article reports that the number of South African visa holders has “soared 441 percent between 2011 and 2020.”

https://robertstark.substack.com/p/x...ia-is-woke-now

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Any explanation why across the board Asian immigration, and non Asian, percentage declined in 2020?

I'm curious if the Ukraine and Russia has issues if some Ukrainians will seek asylum in the USA? Anyone have a perdition on that if it happens?

What are South African's numbers if anyone has any?

"South Africa, which has an unemployment rate exceeding 30%, is now second only to Mexico, in H-2A visa holders and the NYT article reports that the number of South African visa holders has “soared 441 percent between 2011 and 2020.”

https://robertstark.substack.com/p/x...ia-is-woke-now

Ukrainians are now one of the top groups resettled as refugees in the U.S. under Trump administration:

"The 4,451 Ukrainians who arrived in the United States during fiscal 2019 made up 15 percent of the 30,000 total refugees who resettled in the country. In 2016, Ukrainians accounted for just 3 percent."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...92f_story.html

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions