HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 2:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Wish the tower had the same theme as the base.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:48 PM

Loving the mini Sutro Tower looking thing on the base of this building.

This Hub area, or if you prefer to call it the grotesque Van Mission, is looking like it could be pretty nice in the next 5ish years.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:29 AM

From SFist, the Van Ness view reveals open spaces on every floor of the podium and a zigzag undulation of the tower's surface.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:18 AM
heavy user of walkability

will post this here too...

Hub plan approved by Planning

Quote:
Plan to increase density, height limits in ‘Hub’ area wins key approval
Ida Mojadad

San Francisco planning officials on Thursday granted a key approval for a development plan at Market Street and Van Ness Avenue that could bring more than 15,000 more residents to the area.

The San Francisco Planning Commission unanimously approved the Environmental Impact Report for the 84-acre development plan known as the Hub. Height limits approved for 18 projects where the Western Addition, South of Market, Civic Center and Mission neighborhoods meet are estimated to bring another 8,100 units.

The EIR groups together the Hub Plan and two mixed-use projects at 30 Van Ness Ave., a 45-story building with up to 11 floors of office space, and 98 Franklin St., a 31-story residential building on top of five stories for International High School planned for where a parking lot stands today. ...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Construction Expected To Start This Year For 30 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON MARCH 19, 2021

The San Francisco Planning Department has released the mitigation measures document for the 30 Van Ness Avenue construction process as Lendlease confirms with SFYIMBY they are working to start construction this year . . . .

The structure has a rooftop height of 520 feet, though extra architectural features rise to a maximum height of 540 feet above street-level. . . . . There will be 333 apartments, with 28 studios, 97 one-bedrooms, 161 two-bedrooms, and 47 three-bedroom units. 83 of the units will be sold below market-rate . . . .

New building permits estimate construction costs to be a minimum of $244 million and last 44 months from ground-breaking to completion.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/03/construc...francisco.html

I will ask a mod to correct the thread title: 400 FT-->540 FT and 40 FL-->46 FL.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 8:22 AM

5/29/2021 - I walked by the Market Street side of what will be 30 Van Ness today. There are markings on the sidewalk the whole length of the Market St. side of the building. Apparently this is the first sign of the coming demolition of the current building. It will be exciting to see this attractive new building built one block from the Fox Plaza.

30 Van Ness @ Market Street

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 1:15 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Now it is 540 ft. tall with 46 floors--Pedestrian, are you able to update the thread title?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Now it is 540 ft. tall with 46 floors--Pedestrian, are you able to update the thread title?
No--I gave it a shot and only the title on the one beginning post changed, not the main thread title. This is what I expected because this has been an issue before. Only mods can change the thread title beginning a few minutes after the initial post. I'll ask one to do it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 6:56 PM

30 Van Ness GC

Does anyone know who the General Contractor is on the 30 Van Ness project?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 9:53 PM

Scaffold Going Up Today - Happy to see this moving along well. The current building is an old building that was clad many decades ago to make it look modern. The replacement is a beautiful building to my eye. This is a view of the Fell Street side.

Scaffold Installation Today

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 12:19 AM

almost anything would be better than what we have now, but if the podium looks like the SFist rendering from May 2020, then I am *really* looking forward to this. some of the more recently posted renderings seem to look a little different, and have a different tower design, so to me it's not clear exactly what we're getting.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:41 AM

the 'back'

front

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:58 AM

Why put up scaffolding to do a demolition?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 9:10 PM
Build Baby Build

I ponder a guess that they are going to recycle the exterior panels, and they may be easily removed. Demolition doesn't have to have implosions, as fun as they are to watch.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's not a demolition. The building (or parts of it, anyway) will become part of the base for the new tower.

"partial retention of the existing five-story office and retail building on the site along with a three-story addition"

https://socketsite.com/archives/2018...-proposed.html

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
It's not a demolition. The building (or parts of it, anyway) will become part of the base for the new tower.

"partial retention of the existing five-story office and retail building on the site along with a three-story addition"

It's still demolition even if structural components, like steel, are retained. It just won't be as messy or likely won't require heavy equipment on-site—hopefully making the entire process faster, cleaner, and quieter.

Regardless, good catch! I hadn't thought of this as a 're-skin with vertical addition' project.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
This certainly isn’t rare for taller buildings that can’t just be knocked down but must be deconstructed.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 9:23 AM

Quote:

Just looking at it I wondered about that. So I guess the scaffolding is required because they are going to peel off the mid-century skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
This certainly isn’t rare for taller buildings that can’t just be knocked down but must be deconstructed.
Yeah but the old building isn’t that tall even though the replacement will be. I think the retention of at least the skeleton of the existing structure is why they can’t just bash it down.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:33 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 7:39 PM

1) The reference to keeping part of the old structure was in 2018. I believe the plan has been changed since then.

2) I see no evidence of the inclusion of the old structure in the new building looking at the architectural drawings.

3) Demolition could not possibly be done without access with the scaffolding.
There will be screens on the scaffolding to prevent stuff from falling onto the street.

4) I seriously doubt that there is anything of value to be saved from current structure. I have seen a photo of the original building before it was clad to make it look modern.

I will see if I can get more information on this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction