HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 2:20 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
That would be something. One of the most transformative projects in decades (IMO). Truly connecting Center City to its adjacent Northern neighborhoods and creating a promenade of parks and pedestrian spaces.

I do doubt this happening anytime soon though, so ridiculous capping wasn't done when the bridges were rebuilt.
Idk it should be easier to cap 676 it is pretty close to being a tunnel already, fill in those gaps and make sure everything is structurally sound and bang we are good to go.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 6:00 PM

A couple projects on south broad this morning:

1111 South Broad

rendering:

senior living center at St. Rita's

rendering:

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:18 PM

I found myself in Allegheny West over the weekend. Here is some of the development I saw:

At the corner of Ridge and Allegheny:

3900 block of Ridge:

3300 block of Clearfield Street:

There are multiple new single family residences coming to the corner of 35th and Westmoreland:

I didn't grab a picture, but huge parcel of land at 34th and Indiana, slated to become apartments, appeared to be undergoing site clearance.

I'm bullish on the future of North Philly as a whole, but I'm especially bullish on this neighborhood! The section of Allegheny West within the triangle formed by Ridge, Allegheny, and Hunting Park will flourish in the years to come. It has great proximity to East Falls and Manayunk, is walking distance to the Schuylkill River Trail, and the area is pretty low-crime. If I had the same access to capital that some area developers have, I'd be investing a lot of money into that section of the neighborhood right now!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:40 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I found myself in Allegheny West over the weekend. Here is some of the development I saw:

At the corner of Ridge and Allegheny:

I didn't grab a picture, but huge parcel of land at 34th and Indiana, slated to become apartments, appeared to be undergoing site clearance.

I'm bullish on the future of North Philly as a whole, but I'm especially bullish on this neighborhood! The section of Allegheny West within the triangle formed by Ridge, Allegheny, and Hunting Park will flourish in the years to come. It has great proximity to East Falls and Manayunk, is walking distance to the Schuylkill River Trail, and the area is pretty low-crime. If I had the same access to capital that some area developers have, I'd be investing a lot of money into that section of the neighborhood right now!
Ridge & Allegheny project looks nice.

Do you know how much more it would cost to bury utilities for all new construction? Its possible to connect to the polls via underground lines, and would look so much better. I love seeing new construction in Fishtown and other areas but those utility lines are just awful. It will never happen but that is certainly an endeavor I would like to see the city take on, a multiyear plan to bury utilities, at least starting with Greater Center City.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 3:27 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Just wanted to say that I've been up in Manayunk/Roxborough a lot lately and there's a buttload of construction and development going on up there...

Stamm Development is doing a lot up there:

https://stammdevelopment.com/develop...gh-properties/

but that doesn't list one more they just got a permit for. A big development site on Ridge Ave is under contract and a retail building is being built on a former gas station site on Ridge as well.

Though the projects themselves are not all that beautiful or exiciting, the area has been more or less ignored by we development nerds so it's nice to see that part of the city get some growth

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 3:55 PM

Royal Theater Apartments are Finished and Occupied at 1524 South Street, Townhomes Are Under Construction on Kater Street

Previous site on South Street:

Current view on South Street:

Previous view on Kater Street:

Current view on Kater Street:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...s-construction

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 3:57 PM

Renderings Revealed For 535-Unit Complex At 2200-58 Somerset Street In Port Richmond

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/04/rend...-richmond.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 3:58 PM

Renderings Revealed For Comly Commons At 1825 East Boston Street In East Kensington

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/04/rend...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 3:59 PM

Construction Progresses On The 281-Unit Next LVL at 4223 Chestnut Street

Rendering:

Progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/04/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 6:59 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Ridge & Allegheny project looks nice.

Do you know how much more it would cost to bury utilities for all new construction? Its possible to connect to the polls via underground lines, and would look so much better. I love seeing new construction in Fishtown and other areas but those utility lines are just awful. It will never happen but that is certainly an endeavor I would like to see the city take on, a multiyear plan to bury utilities, at least starting with Greater Center City.
We need a new commission that organizes Street work, PGW, utilities and PECO

We have a big issue with redoing sidewalks and roads making them look beautiful, and then PGW comes along and says hey we need to change this pipe out a week after you just redid the road causing forever lasting potholes.

Then we have new construction all over the city, big a** projects and the city isn't requiring them to bury the utility lines.

I think any project that goes over a certain height or takes over a whole block needs to bury the lines PERIOD.

We have had this conversation before on here and the city just need to make a commission that will actually get it done and get some shit working together.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 9:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

4223 Chestnut Street

Whatever the explanation for that bizarre boxed cornice business, it reminds me of the ghastly aluminum siding cornice "modernizations" still plaguing the city (and other east coast cities) on rowhouses, or when they have to repair a masonry parapet on a 6 floor apartment building and instead of doing it correctly and with thought and care, they just encapsulate it with stucco over Styrofoam.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 12:06 AM

It does look a little weird, like you can pull the top off like a Tupperware lid.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 4:04 PM

Construction Permits Issued for 128-Unit Building in Olde Kensington at 175 W. Oxford Street

Current site:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Aerial massing:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/constru...in-kensington/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
We need a new commission that organizes Street work, PGW, utilities and PECO

We have a big issue with redoing sidewalks and roads making them look beautiful, and then PGW comes along and says hey we need to change this pipe out a week after you just redid the road causing forever lasting potholes.

Then we have new construction all over the city, big a** projects and the city isn't requiring them to bury the utility lines.

I think any project that goes over a certain height or takes over a whole block needs to bury the lines PERIOD.

We have had this conversation before on here and the city just need to make a commission that will actually get it done and get some shit working together.
a properly done patch will not lead to a pothole. A pothole is caused when water gets into cracks in pavement. Utility work can happen for a lot of reasons and much of it is unplanned- you will never be able to guarantee a recently paved street isnt opened up for a utility repair.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
a properly done patch will not lead to a pothole. A pothole is caused when water gets into cracks in pavement. Utility work can happen for a lot of reasons and much of it is unplanned- you will never be able to guarantee a recently paved street isnt opened up for a utility repair.
There he is.

Mr Status Quo.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
There he is.

Mr Status Quo.
I remember working in Clark County, NV years ago and their street dept. had a standing rule, that no dig permit would be issued within 2 years of a street being repaved. At a minimum, that created the incentive for more planning and coordination between the utilities.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:57 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I remember working in Clark County, NV years ago and their street dept. had a standing rule, that no dig permit would be issued within 2 years of a street being repaved. At a minimum, that created the incentive for more planning and coordination between the utilities.
FWIW I know there is some level of coordination between (at least) PGW, PWD, PECO, and Streets about this kind of stuff. I think OTIS is in charge of this. It's basically a spreadsheet/database where all of the different agencies are supposed to list all the projects they're handling and the timeframes. I can't really speak to exactly how well it works or not, but my guess is that if there are issues, it's because of emergency work or contractors doing stuff.

If anyone really cares I'm sure you could reach out to someone at OTIS and they could explain more to you.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
a properly done patch will not lead to a pothole
I don't want to get into this debate about utility work coordination with street repaving, but so many of the potholes are the result of terribly done patch work. Like throw a little stone, debris, dirt, and asphalt in a ditch and call it a day. I assume it is more private contractors than utility companies, but I don't know for sure. There definitely needs to be a better system for holding contractors accountable for patching.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

All of this talk is all the more reason that streets should be reconstructed with cobbles. Utility work just requires removing some cobbles and replacing when you are done. Same goes for potholes, oh wait those wouldn't exist. Also they have the added benefit of slowing auto speeds on residential streets. Is all this just too civilized?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:01 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
All of this talk is all the more reason that streets should be reconstructed with cobbles. Utility work just requires removing some cobbles and replacing when you are done. Same goes for potholes, oh wait those wouldn't exist. Also they have the added benefit of slowing auto speeds on residential streets. Is all this just too civilized?
True...this is the case in Old City on the smaller sections of the city grid where they do underground work and restore the cobblestone work when the utility work is completed. On main roads in the city grid, not sure cobblestone is the best for ride comforted or plowing on snow days, let alone any speed above 25 mphs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development