HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8721  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 12:44 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 20,827
I have a better idea: STOP testing people. Except for the severely ill

Common sense....what a precious but rare commodity....
__________________
Loving the flat-6
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8722  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 1:00 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I have a better idea: STOP testing people. Except for the severely ill

Common sense....what a precious but rare commodity....
A little birdie told me that’s what this country will do next March. Managing Covid will shift to the HSA (Health Security Agency) which is responsible for flu, etc. It will literally be treated as another kind of flu, and they will keep track of cases and deaths (as they do for flu) but there will be no rules, testing or isolation requirements.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8723  
Old Posted Yesterday, 5:15 PM
dktshb's Avatar
dktshb dktshb is offline
Environmental Sabotage
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco/ Los Angeles/ Tahoe
Posts: 4,826
Back in October Covid deaths passed deaths from HIV/AIDS to become America's deadliest pandemic. In less that 2 years more people in this country have died from Covid than in over 40 years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. As of December we surpassed 800,000 deaths.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8724  
Old Posted Yesterday, 5:19 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
A little birdie told me that’s what this country will do next March. Managing Covid will shift to the HSA (Health Security Agency) which is responsible for flu, etc. It will literally be treated as another kind of flu, and they will keep track of cases and deaths (as they do for flu) but there will be no rules, testing or isolation requirements.
did the little bird, let's name him larpy, what do you say? did little larpy tweet anything to you about reparations for the people you made sick or killed from no masking?

such a great time to be a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8725  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:24 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,151
^ I’m sure you’re not a lawyer, because you sound like an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Back in October Covid deaths passed deaths from HIV/AIDS to become America's deadliest pandemic. In less that 2 years more people in this country have died from Covid than in over 40 years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. As of December we surpassed 800,000 deaths.
I’m not convinced it has actually killed more than Spanish flu. The estimates for that are 500k to 850k with most around 700k, but they didn’t have PCR tests and weren’t attributing every death of a person with a positive test in preceding weeks to the flu virus. The US population at the time was also less than a third of what it is now, so mortality rates were actually multiples higher than Covid. And most everyone was susceptible, rather than just the very old or otherwise ill.

But sure, keep pretending this is Armageddon.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8726  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:42 PM
woodrow woodrow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 844
10023 - what is the situation in London? We are still planning on going but if we have to quarantine for 2 days upon arrival waiting for test results we not sure it is worth it. Do you know if we can get the test at the Heathrow?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8727  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM
CivicBlues CivicBlues is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ I’m sure you’re not a lawyer, because you sound like an idiot.


I’m not convinced it has actually killed more than Spanish flu. The estimates for that are 500k to 850k with most around 700k, but they didn’t have PCR tests and weren’t attributing every death of a person with a positive test in preceding weeks to the flu virus. The US population at the time was also less than a third of what it is now, so mortality rates were actually multiples higher than Covid. And most everyone was susceptible, rather than just the very old or otherwise ill.

But sure, keep pretending this is Armageddon.
For someone who is so adamant that people need to go out and live their lives you sure spend an inordinate amount of your time arguing with people on the internet about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8728  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ I’m sure you’re not a lawyer, because you sound like an idiot.


I’m not convinced it has actually killed more than Spanish flu. The estimates for that are 500k to 850k with most around 700k, but they didn’t have PCR tests and weren’t attributing every death of a person with a positive test in preceding weeks to the flu virus. The US population at the time was also less than a third of what it is now, so mortality rates were actually multiples higher than Covid. And most everyone was susceptible, rather than just the very old or otherwise ill.

But sure, keep pretending this is Armageddon.
The official COVID death toll is significantly under counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8729  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:00 PM
BG918's Avatar
BG918 BG918 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Biden is banning travel to the US from South Africa and some other African nations... but why isn't he banning travel from the UK and Belgium, where this variant has also been detected?
I was just in South Africa and it was a royal pain in the ass to get back to the US. Completely ridiculous and knee jerk reaction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8730  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:25 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I was just in South Africa and it was a royal pain in the ass to get back to the US. Completely ridiculous and knee jerk reaction.
Welcome to the club..... That was my impression as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8731  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:27 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The official COVID death toll is significantly under counted.
Sure it is.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8732  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
10023 - what is the situation in London? We are still planning on going but if we have to quarantine for 2 days upon arrival waiting for test results we not sure it is worth it. Do you know if we can get the test at the Heathrow?
I’m not sure, there might be. I’m going to the US next week and am planning to just ignore the quarantine when I get back. They don’t have the resources to follow up.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8733  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:59 PM
dktshb's Avatar
dktshb dktshb is offline
Environmental Sabotage
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco/ Los Angeles/ Tahoe
Posts: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ I’m sure you’re not a lawyer, because you sound like an idiot.


I’m not convinced it has actually killed more than Spanish flu. The estimates for that are 500k to 850k with most around 700k, but they didn’t have PCR tests and weren’t attributing every death of a person with a positive test in preceding weeks to the flu virus. The US population at the time was also less than a third of what it is now, so mortality rates were actually multiples higher than Covid. And most everyone was susceptible, rather than just the very old or otherwise ill.

But sure, keep pretending this is Armageddon.
I am just posting statistics I find interesting. I never said anything about Armageddon, LOL. You're so dramatic. I am aware of all your points including the fact the population was about 1/3 what it is now. I am also aware that back then healthcare was abysmal, there were no ventilators, and many of the sick died from secondary bacterial infections. Regardless, this is now the deadliest pandemic here in the US and the numbers will continue to climb because dumb people choose not to get vaccinated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8734  
Old Posted Today, 2:00 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 4,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I’m not sure, there might be. I’m going to the US next week and am planning to just ignore the quarantine when I get back. They don’t have the resources to follow up.
Forwarding this message to MI6.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8735  
Old Posted Today, 3:19 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 20,827
Covid basically just being used as an excuse to shirk certain obligations and responsibilities at this point. Just keep name dropping “Covid concerns” and you can do (or not do) whatever you want.

“Our hotel no longer offers service X due to ‘Covid concerns’”

“We used to provide this service but, due to ‘Covid concerns’, we do so no longer”
__________________
Loving the flat-6
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8736  
Old Posted Today, 9:44 AM
10023's Avatar
10023 10023 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I am just posting statistics I find interesting. I never said anything about Armageddon, LOL. You're so dramatic. I am aware of all your points including the fact the population was about 1/3 what it is now. I am also aware that back then healthcare was abysmal, there were no ventilators, and many of the sick died from secondary bacterial infections. Regardless, this is now the deadliest pandemic here in the US and the numbers will continue to climb because dumb people choose not to get vaccinated.
Ventilators are of questionable utility, and many (if not most) Covid deaths were also due to secondary bacterial infections.

Anyway, it’s not the “deadliest” in any sense other than the nominal tally (which is now over 2 full years). The percentage of people vulnerable, the percentage of cases that lead to death, etc are all very low. Most people have never been at any risk whatsoever.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.