HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:58 PM

From Artnet:

A Houston Outsider Art Center Beloved by Dominique de Menil Is Expanding Into an Eight-Acre Campus for Offbeat Creativity

The planned buildout will unite two of the nonprofit's experiential art environments.

For 40 years, Houston’s Orange Show Center for Visionary Art has been the guardian of experiential art environments in the city. Now, for the first time, the nonprofit organization is building a central campus with a permanent gallery that will unite two of its three spaces.

“The expansion will allow us to provide a dedicated built environment where visitors’ understanding of what constitutes art or who can identify as an artist is challenged,” executive director Tommy Ralph Pace told Artnet News.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/ho...ansion-2036211

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 10:41 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Genuinely cool development here. I like that it seems to halfway merge with Fonde Park and, by extension, has access to the Brays trails.

And they've found a place to put that big blue sax from that club on Richmond as well! I know they've had it for some time, but it's cool to see their acquisition will be part of this.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 11:31 PM

Super thumbs up!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 11:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I just don't hope it takes away from the quirky bohemian vibe of the Orange Show but the renders look great.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:02 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
And they've found a place to put that big blue sax from that club on Richmond as well! I know they've had it for some time, but it's cool to see their acquisition will be part of this.
This place would be an excellent permanent home for David Addick's weird stuff. Then again part of the charm of his art is that oddball sculptures have a way of randomly just existing in unusual locations and vanish and then return.

Remember the big banana by the freeway? Also the big phone wearing glasses with a mustache that I think was last seen on a roof in Montrose used be out that way too.

banana:
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/...led-Banana.php

phone:
http://swamplot.com/pictures-plus-te...re/2008-08-28/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 9:55 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
This place would be an excellent permanent home for David Addick's weird stuff. Then again part of the charm of his art is that oddball sculptures have a way of randomly just existing in unusual locations and vanish and then return.

Remember the big banana by the freeway? Also the big phone wearing glasses with a mustache that I think was last seen on a roof in Montrose used be out that way too.

banana:
https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/...led-Banana.php

phone:
http://swamplot.com/pictures-plus-te...re/2008-08-28/
I still miss Big Head On Main Street. I know it has an actual name, but thanks to HAIF, I'll never not think of it by that description.

Weird thinking it's not been there for over 10 years!

Image from reddit

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 6:17 AM

After spending the last few days in Houston in the Museum District it blows my mind that that area hasn't completely turned into the new "hip" part of the city. The area feels already urban enough to sustain some 24/7 amenities but its just not there yet. I can see this becoming the even more upscale and architecturally daring part of the city. The next ten years are going to be really fun to watch for Museum District. I wish Houston marketed itself a little better. There is so much going on on the ground that you would never expect coming from outside Houston or Texas.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 4:28 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Houston has a lot of potential and a lot of institutions and individuals who make incredible contributions to civic interests, either financially or through their talents. But then I also think it has elements that hold it back too. So many neighborhoods are sort of run down. The Museum District is right there but it's always been right next to the third ward and tends to be a target of things like robberies, shootings, etc and for every nice looking street there's another street with surface parking lots and homeless people camping out.

I think the city's perpetually troubled budget situation leads to a lot of neglect. The pensions, the property tax cap, and the bad decision to annex a lot of suburbia in the 1970s(thus getting a bunch of areas that cost more to maintain than they bring in and are also full of right leaning voters).

But I guess all big cities have these problems.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 3:34 PM
FYHA

Texas Tower
c/o rechlin on HAIF

UHD Wellness Center
c/o pokemonizepic on HAIF

The Allen
c/o cityliving on HAIF

2400 W. Dallas
c/o cityliving on HAIF

Ismaili Center Houston
c/o cityliving on HAIF

Houston Endowment HQ
c/o freundb on HAIF

Texas A&M Innovation Plaza
c/o Highrise Tower on HAIF

TMC 3

Baylor St. Luke's McNair Campus

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 8:52 PM

Love the pics!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 10:11 PM

This is the most active thread on anything Houston, so I'm going to post it here.

Three Gentlemen, One Ghost, and a Skyscraper

Before some formidable Houstonians could erect the tallest building in Texas, an even more formidable ghost had to be laid to rest.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...-a-skyscraper/

This story is from Texas Monthly’s archives. We have left it as it was originally published, without updating, to maintain a clear historical record.

Like pilgrims entering a shrine, seven men clutching scrolls and sketchbooks filed past the stone colonnades, past the art deco frescoes depicting the history of Texas, and into the vaulted cathedral of the Texas Commerce Bank lobby. To the bank employees who arrived early on this chilly December morning in 1977, the seven must have seemed an unremarkable group. Dressed in the muted blues and grays of business couture, the strangers could have been a contingent of pension-fund managers or, for that matter, the directors of a sausage company coming in for a loan.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Houston has a lot of potential and a lot of institutions and individuals who make incredible contributions to civic interests, either financially or through their talents. But then I also think it has elements that hold it back too. So many neighborhoods are sort of run down. The Museum District is right there but it's always been right next to the third ward and tends to be a target of things like robberies, shootings, etc and for every nice looking street there's another street with surface parking lots and homeless people camping out.

I think the city's perpetually troubled budget situation leads to a lot of neglect. The pensions, the property tax cap, and the bad decision to annex a lot of suburbia in the 1970s(thus getting a bunch of areas that cost more to maintain than they bring in and are also full of right leaning voters).

But I guess all big cities have these problems.
Yes, many if not most cities do. When I saw your description I was thinking you could have been talking about Austin as well. There's an awful lot of neglect and problems here. But I still think both cities have a lot of positives, and I enjoy both.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:45 AM

Any new updates from our Houston members? Your posts are what a lot of us look forward to (those of us who don't or can't visit very often).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:43 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The Baylor St. Luke's building turned out very nice.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 10:25 PM

Any updates on Museo Plaza?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 11:49 PM

Wink FYI (Uptown)

So I do Ride share. Picked up a real-estate developer this morning and got to talking with him.

He informed me that his Property Developement Group have bought the green space next to the BBVA Compass Bank Building on Post Oak ...across Post Oak from Dicks Sporting Goods.

He said they were going to put in a 40story mixed use tower there...construction should start around Jan 2023.

[ was going to include an image of the area Im talking about but i guess the forum doesn't allow me to upload or embed an image inside the post from my desktop. ]

Last edited by currysteph; Dec 15, 2021 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Add Photo

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by currysteph View Post
So I do Ride share. Picked up a real-estate developer this morning and got to talking with him.

He informed me that his Property Developement Group have bought the green space next to the BBVA Compass Bank Building on Post Oak ...across Post Oak from Dicks Sporting Goods.

He said they were going to put in a 40story mixed use tower there...construction should start around Jan 2023.

[ was going to include an image of the area Im talking about but i guess the forum doesn't allow me to upload or embed an image inside the post from my desktop. ]
Nice work. Keep your ears open.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 7:30 PM

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 7:31 PM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 12:29 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

That's a great shot. No offense to Heritage Plaza and the iconic view from Buffalo Bayou Park, but the east skyline is more powerful looking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations