Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:59 AM

Etienne Brule

Read about him.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Etienne Brule

Read about him.
I don't know him but did someone cremate him and invent creme brulee?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 12:49 AM

Thumbs up Most definitaly,

There were Indian paths which, many, criss-crossed the state of Michigan before the arrival of Europeans. From Chicago To Detroit. From Detroit which became a major fur trading post after Europeans arrived, north towards Flint and even farther north. Modern day interstate U.S. highway I-75 parallels this ancient path. Indeed, modern state highways follow Indian trails to this day. Territorial Rd runs all the was across lower Michigan and followed originally an Indian path. I-94 which runs from Chicago to Detroit parallels this, Road. Because. These were the only routes which could be used back when Michigan was a dank and inpenetrable forest , filled with swamps and bogs. So, of course the Europeans used these paths and later made roads following these
paths.
Chicago and Detroit were already great trading places for Indians far before this. Tribes could reach Detroit from far, far North and far to the east across the Great Lakes. There are smoking pipes which Indians used made from indigenous clay and stone found only in Minnesota and the Dakotas found all down the Mississippi River valley, evidence of these ancient trade routes and these are all dated through carbon -14 dating methods. From Minnesota to Chicago and then South.
Also Chert stone, or Flint, which was prized to make fine bladed arrowheads, was also traded to distant parts of the country from the area. Furs were traded as were hides also along with pottery. The Lakes and Rivers around the Great lakes area were an easy and often used way to travel with cargo than overland. Birchbark canoes could hold nearly a ton of goods.
Far away, in deep south Texas, in the San Antonio, Texas River valley sits a large city now, right on the San Antonio River. Because in such a parched area as this, there was an oasis for the Spaniards and they identified the site as a possible future settlement.
Now- there are two million people living there. Pottery shards and fragments show that Indians have abided in the San Antonio River Valley dated as far back as 14,000 years ago says the University of Texas at San Antonio Paleo-Archeological Department.
So much for curiosity. And so much for the Asians who originally crossed the land bridge between the Asian and North American continents.
So much for European curiosity.
To have gone and strayed so far from their settlements. They Asians must have been extremely curious. To have traveled all the way to South Texas and established residence there. Naivete sometimes runs rampant here. Hmmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
mmmm A little left field I know, but I was just pondering if indigenous people would of made any long journeys on the Great Lakes?..Part of me thinks no, and that they only strayed so far from their settlements to hunt and fish, but another part thinks that perhaps they did as well..Humans are naturally curious after all..Not just the Europeans who came later on.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:40 PM

I was born and raised
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
Even if only considering the physical city, it would be hard to argue that Houston, San Antonio, and Las Vegas are simply clones of other cities.

Edit: just realized how old the post is I responded to lol

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 10:59 PM
somewhere in-between

A momentous occasion - last week -

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 2:08 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ A beautiful sight!

And now that the other 99% of the US laker fleet is nearly 40+ years old, let's hope this is only the beginning of big boat building coming back to the lakes.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 10:43 AM
somewhere in-between

I know this thread isn't geared soley towards shipbuilding, but I saw a few more photos of the Mark W. Barker, which is now in the final stages of outfitting at Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding -

Source: Facebook | Interlake Steamship Company

Last edited by deja vu; May 20, 2022 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 4:20 PM

That's really cool!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 4:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I know this thread isn't geared soley towards shipbuilding, but I saw a few more photos of the Mark W. Barker, which is now in the final stages of outfitting at Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding -
this is so damn cool!

i was only 5 years old and too young too remember the last time a brand new lake freighter was built on the great lakes.

hopefully this one is just the first of many more to come.

and now that all 13 of the current 1,000-footers are over 40 years old, one wonders when we'll finally see the construction of a new super-ship on the lakes. lake freighters tend to have much longer service lives than ocean going ships thanks to freshwater being much less corrosive than saltwater, but even there, ships do get old, and things start breaking down, and replacement does eventually have to get considered at some point.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Viking has announced that it will offer new cruise itineraries on the great lakes starting in 2022 with its new Expedition Class vessels.

source: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...cleveland.html
Damn it's already 2022. This ship will be in Detroit this summer. We'll get a real idea of the scale of this thing next to downtown.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 6:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I can't wait to see that one on the lakes this summer too!

especially considering the fact that she's TWICE the size of Hanseatic Inspiration (pictured below), the former largest cruise ship to sail the great lakes.

Viking Octantis: 670' long / 30,000 tons displacement

Hanseatic Inspiration: 470' long / 15,000 tons displacement

source: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...eat-lakes.html

what an exciting summer for great lakes shipping, the first new lake-built freighter in over 4 decades, and the largest passenger ship to ever ply the freshwaters of the great lakes!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 22, 2022 at 3:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 7:00 PM

I can usually see the cruise ships docked in Toronto from my balcony. Will have to keep an eye out for this new one when I'm there this summer.

The New York to Toronto trip would be pretty cool if for no other reason than the travel through the St. Lawrence lock system.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
I can't wait to see that one on the lakes this summer too!

especially considering the fact that she's twice the displacement of Hanseatic Inspiration (pictured below), the former largest cruise ship to sail the great lakes.

Viking Octantis: 670' long / 30,000 tons displacement
Hanseatic Inspiration: 470' long / 15,000 tons displacement

what an exciting summer for great lakes shipping, the first new lake-built freighter in over 4 decades, and the largest passenger ship to ever ply the freshwaters of the great lakes!
None of the major cruise ships stop in Buffalo. They typically go to Port Colborne Ontario on the Welland Canal instead in order to support visits to the Canadian side of the Falls. Before the St. Lawrence Seaway was completed Buffalo was one of the busiest inland ports in the world...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 7:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a fun little article about the semantics of the great lakes in my newsfeed today:

Quote:

Are the Great Lakes Really Inland Seas?
Well, yes. And no. Actually, it depends on where you stand, in more ways than one.

BY GEMMA TARLACH
APRIL 27, 2022

THE WATER REARED UP AND slammed onto the sand like an ambush predator. Then it withdrew, and came back. Again and again the surf attacked the beach, and exploded over a nearby concrete breakwater. White gulls stood out against a dull sky as they fought to stay aloft in winds that had gathered strength over hundreds of miles of open water. The National Weather Service had issued a gale warning, an alert used only for marine locations. But this wind advisory wasn’t for the coast along Cape Cod or California, and the spray from the angry surf wasn’t salty. This stormy seaside scene unfolded on a spring day along the shores of a mere lake, far from the nearest ocean.

The Great Lakes of North America’s midsection—Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario—together span nearly 100,000 square miles, with a combined coastline just shy of 10,000 miles. They hold more than a fifth of Earth’s unfrozen fresh water, straddle an international border, and help move more than $15 billion dollars worth of cargo each year. They even have their own U.S. Coast Guard district, the only lakes with such a distinction. And the Guard’s rescue teams stay busy: Superior and its siblings are capable of storm surges, rip currents, tsunamis, rogue waves, unique extreme weather phenomena, and destructive surf. They have claimed more than 6,000 ships, more than the Gulf of Mexico and the Black Sea combined, according to estimates. So should we really be calling them the Great Inland Seas?

“The most accurate answer you’re going to get is, ‘I don’t know,’” says John Richard Saylor, author of the upcoming Lakes: Their Birth, Life, and Death. “I do think it comes down to semantics, what you want to call a ‘sea.’”
full article: https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...seas.%E2%80%9D

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 7:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Exciting great lakes shipping news!!!

Viking Octantis is now on the great lakes and has arrived at Toronto to embark passengers for her inaugural great lakes cruise.

Source: https://boatnerd.com/port-reports-april-30/

At 670' long and 30,000 tons displacement, she is BY FAR the largest passenger ship to ever ply the waters of North America's great inland freshwater seas.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 30, 2022 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 1:28 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Exciting great lakes shipping news!!!

Viking Octantis is now on the great lakes and has arrived at Toronto to embark passengers for her inaugural great lakes cruise.

Source: https://boatnerd.com/port-reports-april-30/

At 670' long and 30,000 tons displacement, she is BY FAR the largest passenger ship to ever ply the waters of North America's great inland freshwater seas.
Will be very cool to see this during the summer!

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 3:35 AM

Disappointed that Chicago isn't a stop on any of their itineraries. What gives? McPier not playing ball as usual?

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Disappointed that Chicago isn't a stop on any of their itineraries. What gives? McPier not playing ball as usual?
A Great Lakes Cruise that doesn't have Chicago as a stop?

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
A Great Lakes Cruise that doesn't have Chicago as a stop?
Trust me, cruise operators would just about kill for a good Chicago berth.

But Chicago is one of the most dangerous harbors on the Great Lakes, and Navy Pier berths are nigh impossible to get.

Back in the day, the Chicago River itself was the safe port to board cruises, but of course, the city does not lift the drawbridges on demand anymore.

Larger vessels today can only really dock near Lake Calumet… which is less than ideal considering the heaviest of heavy industry landscapes there. Cruises to and from Toronto also need maritime customs facilities which Chicago doesn’t have downtown.

The Viking cruises are adding in Chicago as an add-on excursion to compensate.

Quote:
But industry can sometimes prove to be too much of a good thing. Waggoner said he was dismayed at having to board Chicago passengers at the city’s cargo port on Lake Calumet, miles from downtown and surrounded by commodity transit sheds.

So he and an investment group bought a Lake Michigan excursion boat operator, and starting next year, Victory will operate from a dock at Navy Pier, a prime downtown Chicago tourist magnet at the southeast end of the city’s popular Miracle Mile shopping district.
https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-...Lakes-cruising

Quote:
No Chicago?
Some marquee names, like Chicago, are not on Viking’s 2022 charts.

During the recent expeditions reveal, Hagen said ‘We haven’t found a way to get into Chicago yet, but that may come.’

Instead, Viking Octantis is turning in nearby Milwaukee — which Hagen credited, jokingly, to Schlitz (‘the beer that made Milwaukee famous’) being a favorite during his student days stateside.

Burnett explained it’s challenging to secure a berth at Chicago’s prime location, Navy Pier, because tour boats and dinner boats occupy most of the space. That’s why the Great Lakes Cruising Coalition informs that Milwaukee is just a 92-minute drive from key hub O’Hare International Airport, and many lines that turn in Milwaukee — Viking included — offer land add-ons in Chicago.
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/expe...ld-great-lakes

Last edited by galleyfox; May 1, 2022 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 4:46 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Trust me, cruise operators would just about kill for a good Chicago berth.

But Chicago is one of the most dangerous harbors on the Great Lakes, and Navy Pier berths are nigh impossible to get.

Back in the day, the Chicago River itself was the safe port to board cruises, but of course, the city does not lift the drawbridges on demand anymore.

Larger vessels today can only really dock near Lake Calumet… which is less than ideal considering the heaviest of heavy industry landscapes there. Cruises to and from Toronto also need maritime customs facilities which Chicago doesn’t have downtown.

The Viking cruises are adding in Chicago as an add-on excursion to compensate.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-...Lakes-cruising
Sounds like we should really build a cruise terminal somewhere? Maybe the Western Side of Northerly Island (e.g. where the control tower is?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions