HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 4:58 AM

Burlington & Hamilton Beach Oct 2021

Burlington/Hamilton Beach Strip is a sandbar that shields Hamilton Harbour from Lake Ontario. The Beach Strip became a popular resort style destination in the late 19th-early 20th century, including a railway connection, amusement park and many beachside cottages. After experiencing a decline in the mid-late 20th century, the Beach Strip is beginning to become a popular spot for locals again. Part of the current appeal is the waterfront trail that runs along the Lake from Stoney Creek to Downtown Burlington, which is where I went for a bike ride on Oct 2, 2021.

Here is a picture of the Burlington skyline with the Niagara Escarpment behind it, as seen from the opposite end of the Beach Strip, at the foot of Gray Rd in Stoney Creek

The first park at the East end of the waterfront trail is Confederation Park

A typical stretch of the waterfront trail on the Hamilton side of the Beach Strip.

Sand dunes at Hamilton Beach.

Beachfront homes

After crossing the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge, we are now at Burlington Beach.

And right at the end of Burlington Beach, there is Burlington's Downtown Waterfront.

Downtown Burlington

The waterfront trail continues along Lakeshore Road, and occasionally has areas of public access to the Lake, such as this one at the border with Oakville.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 10:03 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I was enticed by the name "Hamilton Beach," and came expecting blenders and other small household appliances. I was disappointed -- but then I saw my last name on a sign and that made up for it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 3:08 PM

Nice, it looks busier than back when I lived in Hamilton. I'm glad so much of the waterfront is publicly accessible, but I always wished they could get rid of the transmission lines on the Hamilton side.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Nice, it looks busier than back when I lived in Hamilton. I'm glad so much of the waterfront is publicly accessible, but I always wished they could get rid of the transmission lines on the Hamilton side.
Well technically they're on both the Burlington and Hamilton side of the beach strip. It's only when you reach Downtown Burlington that you no longer have the power lines along the waterfront. I would say the Skyway is a negative too since the noise is quite noticeable in some areas.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 7:23 AM

I have never seen power lines along a beach like that!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos