HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
How many US cities still have a church spire as their tallest building? Would be an interesting game to play to see which is the largest metro area for that to be the case..

I imagine that it's likely the case in a lot of smaller cities. Erie might be one of the larger ones of the group.

It shows the power of the Catholic Church in Erie... a gentleman's agreement, if you will, to not build taller than the 1873 cathedral. And considering that it's one of the tallest churches in the US, it wasn't all that hard to comply.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:04 PM

This is a good indicator for downtown’s resurgence. A very popular national restaurant chain banking on the market potential in downtown Erie.

Coming to downtown Erie: Chick-fil-A will open for business at Gannon University this fall

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...ie/4927304001/

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:32 PM

Another restaurant announcement: Pier 6 will be opening this summer on Sassafras Street Pier.

This will be the rooftop bar/restaurant above the Bay House Oyster Bar. Latest location from the U Pick 6 group. Should be a summer hotspot.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:16 PM

First, I absolutely hate to see yet another anchor of Erie's industrial physical form meet the wrecking ball. Century-plus-old brick factory architecture is/was Erie's dominant vernacular... and has disappeared at a rapid rate in the past 20 years... usually with NOTHING or PARKING LOTS built in its place.

Second, this building complex has been neglected for many decades and are tough to reuse in a city llike Erie. But let's hope this property is actually redeveloped with buildings like the news story states... and does not become another downtown car dealership lot... like the ever-expanding Hallman lots over the Koehler Brewing properties and up and down State and Peach Streets.

Cleanup, then demolition: Erie County Redevelopment Authority shares plan for EMI building

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...st/7259133002/

Quote:
Tina Mengine, CEO of the Erie County Redevelopment Authority, knows a little about the history of the former Erie Malleable Iron property on West 12th Street, which the authority purchased recently for $375,000.

She also has some thoughts about the future of the 5.6-acre property, where she hopes to eliminate blighted structures and replace them with new buildings.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:23 PM

This is cool. There have been rumors about adding a decommissioned naval ship to the Erie Maritime Museum for a little while now.

Proposal to bring the USS Kauffmann, a Perry class guided missile frigate, to be permanaently moored on Erie's bayfront for use as a floating naval museum. Request for federal earmark funding has been made to dredge and build an underwater breakwater for the ship's berth in between Dobbins Landing and Sassafras St. Pier (Bayfront Convention Center). This would be the first piece in the development of the proposed Oliver Hazard Perry Shipyard https://perryshipyard.com/

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
This is cool. There have been rumors about adding a decommissioned naval ship to the Erie Maritime Museum for a little while now.

Proposal to bring the USS Kauffmann, a Perry class guided missile frigate, to be permanaently moored on Erie's bayfront for use as a floating naval museum. Request for federal earmark funding has been made to dredge and build an underwater breakwater for the ship's berth in between Dobbins Landing and Sassafras St. Pier (Bayfront Convention Center). This would be the first piece in the development of the proposed Oliver Hazard Perry Shipyard https://perryshipyard.com/
I hope this comes to fruition...it would be so cool.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
I hope this comes to fruition...it would be so cool.
It sounds like there’s been a lot of behind the scenes work put in, so that’s good.

The more attractions Erie can get down on the bayfront, the greater incentive there is to make better, easier connections to downtown.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:41 AM

Warner Theater construction

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 11:35 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Warner Theater construction

^ I'm not seeing the image?

Here's a few pictures from a recent vendor tour of the future Flagship City Food Hall -

Source: LinkedIn | EDDC

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:

If I get through my current ordeal. As a seaborn USNavy Veteran I will be a volunteer as a guide.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 1:52 PM

I drove by 12th and State yesterday and I saw there are already signs for the new restaurant going in place of 1201 Kitchen: "Local Eat and Pour".

While I'm not keen on the name, I'm hopeful the food will be good considering one of the owners of 1201 is in charge of it.

https://www.localeatandpour.com/

Also, I just wanted to say how excited I am by all the new food establishments opening this year:

Pier 6/Bay House
Local Eat and Pour
Flagship City Food Hall
New restaurant going into the West Erie Plaza (not yet named)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:09 PM

Coming to Downtown Erie Griswold Plaza to become Station Square.

Pickleball, anyone? Erie businesses plan to transform Griswold Park, adding courts, ice rink, more
Jim Martin
Erie Times-News

There is activity on all sides of Erie's Griswold Park.
Union Station, headquarters of Logistics Plus and home of The Brewerie at Union Station, is fully occupied on the south side. The former post office is now office space and just down the block on 13th Street, Erie businessman Pete Zaphiris has plans to transform the former Metropolitan Dance Club.
But "there's not much going on in Griswold Park," said Jim Berlin, founder and CEO of Logistics Plus.
Historic building:Erie's Union Station marks 90th year
That's about to change.
Great Lakes Insurance Services Group LLC has announced plans to revamp Griswold Park and rename it Station Square Ltd. The new park, shown in this rendering, will include an ice rink, pickleball courts, a new fountain, and musical swings.
Great Lakes Insurance Services, owned by Zaphiris, announced that a group of local business owners and professionals have been working with the city to rename and reinvent what will be known as Station Square Ltd.
Transforming Erie:Bold Union Station Gamble pays off for Erie
According to the Great Lakes, the park will have a synthetic ice rink, pickleball courts, musical swings, and a new fountain with lighting.
More:Jennie Geisler: Walk with me around Griswold Park
Berlin, who has contributed $100,000 toward the project, said the idea began with a quest to find activity space for his company's 135 Erie-based employees. It quickly grew, he said, into creating a space that the public could use.
"It's a great idea and I think it's kind of caught on," Berlin said. "There is so much going on in the Erie Insurance area of downtown, but not so much in our neck of the woods."
Construction should start this summer
Zaphiris, who will be covering much of the construction costs for the project, said the group hopes to break ground by mid-July and will be doing much of the work over the following 45 days.
Zaphiris credits Berlin with the original idea, but said a long list of businesses are involved, including Rick Griffith Properties, Kellar's: A Modern Magic & Comedy Club, Erie News Now, Sisinni Legal, Urban Engineers and The Brewerie At Union Station.
Zaphiris said the group is eager to do for the neighborhood what the Erie Downtown Development Corp. is doing for the neighborhood around Perry Square.
"It's underutilized," Zaphiris said of the park. "With what the EDDC is doing downtown, our goal is to activate this space and make it lively, family-oriented space."
One of the highlights will be musical swings being purchased from a company in Montreal.
"The more you swing, the more music you make," Zaphiris said. "Each swing is turned to a different note."
Tina Mengine, who has been advising the group as CEO of the Erie County Redevelopment Corp., is excited about the prospect of new activity outside her office window at the former Griswold Post Office.
"All the neighbors are excited about it," she said. "I think it's a great idea. It's a park that doesn't get much use and this end of town doesn't get a lot of attention. I think there are a lot of cool things that will draw people."

Contact Jim Martin at 814-870-1668 or jmartin@timesnews.com. Follow him on Twitter @ETNMartin.

For more information about the park, visit eriess.com

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 4:06 AM

The old Erie Maennerchor (16th & State sts ) club will be getting a new restaurant. Owner Julio Reyes had a 3yr legal battle resolved made the announcement.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 11:20 PM

Like that the area around Griswold Plaza will be injected with some “recreational” focused life. Hopefully will lead to actual building construction in the area.

Hate the re-brand to “Station Square Ltd.”

That’s just Fucking stupid.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Hate the re-brand to “Station Square Ltd.”

That’s just Fucking stupid.
Agreed. I like the current "Griswold Park" name.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:16 PM

I like the rebrand to Station Square. It immediate locates it. With the expansion
across 13th st (ice rink) and Peach st (pickle ball courts).
Also the guy donating $100K should have a say in the naming.
After all he was the 1st to revitalize the area by buying the Erie
train depot.
There are many examples of this, UPMC Park, Erie Ins Arena are 2 biggies that pop up.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:50 PM

There are not many examples of this. This is a public park, ceremoniously named by the City of Erie in honor of one of its prominent manufacturers and politicians who brought a US Post Office and rain station to downtown Erie.

Should Perry Square be renamed to Flagship City Plaza, in order to support Erie Insurance’s real estate investments and brand in the area? Should we rename Presque Isle State Park? How about we call it Sara’s Crappy Food & Trashy Campground Beaches, if we can get him to donate $100k for some new volleyball courts and lifeguard chairs?

The baseball park and the arena are revenue and profit-generating entertainment venues, not public parks.

It’s an entirely different situation. Just because a guy “donates” a tax write-off to fund enhancements to public land that will benefit his business, does not mean that he gets to call the public land what he wants to call it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:06 AM

Not a Knights Inn as I believed but is now to be a RED ROOF Inn on West 18th near Peach st.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWCC8 View Post
Not a Knights Inn as I believed but is now to be a RED ROOF Inn on West 18th near Peach st.
I saw that.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...of/7620903002/

It seems, because of the extensive work, the hotel is now projected to open in the fall.

Honestly, I hope the hotel will be successful and that the new owners and management will keep it in nice condition. I think it will be a good budget option for downtown.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:44 PM

Distillery and Butcher to join Flagship City Food Hall

I'm sure you guys saw this already but it's great that in addition to the announced food vendors and Whole Foods Co-op, there will also be a distillery and butcher.

Even though the EDDC is going to announce it on Jul 1st, I've heard through the grapevine that the butcher will be a 2nd Gordon's Meat Market (located in Millcreek) and the distillery will be another Luminary Distilling location (located in Summit Township). All in all, that makes me very excited.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/44...wn-erie-market

Also, a couple other cool things.

- I noticed that the old American Surplus storefront (which has been totally renovated) has signage indicating that a Fresh Healthy Cafe is opening up soon. The Millcreek Mall currently has a location as well.

- Also noticed that down around the Sheraton they added banners to the lightposts marketing the area as "Bayfront Landing".

-The Downtown Erie sculpture walk will start being installed in the next few weeks. There will be 13 installations, locations and names of them are in this article: https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...ts/7604763002/

-The finished Marquette project at 10th and Peach looks great, and I'm curious about the bakery that's going to be inside.

-Separate from the sculpture walk will be a "gateway project" installed at 3rd and State St. by the Erie Downtown Partnership.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations