HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 2:43 PM

For Montreal, there are a whole lotta walking corridors, it's a walking city, even in minus two hundred degree weather. Always people out walking, tripping on the icy sidewalks in winter and sweating it in hot and humid July.

St Lawrence or St Laurent boulevard, "the Main" is a fun walk from the harbor in Old Montreal at De La Commune street all the way up to Little Italy at Jean-Talon street, and beyond. But if you walk up to Jean-Talon and go East towards St-Denis street, and walk your way back down to Old Montreal, you will have plenty of eating places to pick and enjoy the fauna strolling by.

I also like Park Avenue which becomes Bleury street, a booming condo hotel part of downtown these days, but the best part is from Sherbrooke street all the way up to the Mile-End district.
Bleury street becomes St-Pierre st in Old Montreal which is a pretty nice stretch also.

For a hiking trip, you can wander up the mountain from Guy street downtown from René-Lévesque boulevard up to the Notre-Dame des Neiges cemetery, and this turns into Côte-des-Neiges road (Snowy hill). That part of town is a mix of scenic and multi-cultural, with nary a chance you will die of famine.

Sherbrooke Street from Olympic Park all the way to Montreal West is a good long walk, and the variety of architecture and ambiance is worth experiencing.
That one would take you about three hours.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 3:38 PM
video et taceo

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 4:10 PM

For Philadelphia, I like Locust and Spruce Streets. Running parallel and south of Walnut Street, Locust and Spruce aren't very commercial but they do contain some of the city's most elegant buildings.

Starting from Society Hill, the pair of streets touch IM Pei's Society Hill Towers and super charming townhomes, including the James Madison House on Spruce Street. The streets continue into the Washington Square West neighborhood, with Locust taking you right to the park itself. The streets then become a bit more commercial through Jefferson Hospital's campus and into the Gayborhood. Getting to Broad Street, you'll find yourself near the heart of the city and in the middle of the theater/arts district. After crossing Broad into the west side of Center City, the streets, especially Locust, get a little busier. Locust takes you right to Rittenhouse Square Park before both streets return to quieter/residential settings. In Center City, Locust terminates at the Schuylkill Banks Trail while Spruce ends at the adjacent park.

Both streets reappear in University City across the river. Locust Street becomes Locust Walk through Penn's Campus and Spruce is a major thoroughfare. West of Penn's campus, Spruce and Locust once again take on a more a residential character as they meander through the leafy Spruce Hill neighborhood. Where Spruce Hill gives way to West Philly is where this tour little ends.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 4:40 PM

I have so many favorites here in Philly!

West Philly: Baltimore Avenue from 40th to 50th Streets

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9486...7i16384!8i8192

Fishtown: Girard Avenue from Front Street to Columbia Ave

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9702...7i16384!8i8192

Fairmount: Fairmount Avenue from 20th Street to Pennsylvania Ave

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9673...7i16384!8i8192

Brewerytown: Girard Avenue from College Ave to 33rd Street

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9742...7i16384!8i8192

Chestnut Hill: Germantown Avenue from Bethlehem Pike to Hartwell Lane

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0765...7i13312!8i6656

Manayunk: Main Street from Shurs Lane to Green Lane

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0248...7i16384!8i8192

South Philly: Passyunk Avenue from Mifflin to Broad Street

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9298...7i16384!8i8192

I'll post a few more later!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 5:47 PM

I haven't really found a great walking corridor in LA, though I love walking through the various residential neighborhoods and of course hiking in the mountains.

I used to do long urban walks through the corridors of DC when I lived there, and it was probably my favorite part of living there. Some of my favorites include:

Wisconsin Ave: Georgetown, National Cathedral, nice neighborhoods around Tenleytown to detour through, Friendship Heights, Chevy Chase (usually would end at Friendship Heights metro stop)

Connecticut Ave: Dupont Circle, beautiful residential architecture in Kalorama, bridge over Rock Creek Park, the zoo, little neighborhood business districts in Cleveland Park and Woodley Park, end in Chevy Chase

I also enjoyed walking through Logan Circle and up into Columbia Heights and Mt. Pleasant, and also walking out Rhode Island to Catholic University. Seeing how much more gentrified the city is now compared to when I lived there, there are probably way more walks I'd feel safe doing these days.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You are correct that what you posted is similar to Michigan Ave.

I haven’t been to your city in person, however I would gather that Michigan Ave, particularly north of the river, is a more pleasant street to walk on than Paulista Ave. That is at least based on the street view you posted. Perhaps I’m mistaken?
Even though Paulista Avenue is very pedestrian friendly, with its wide sidewalks full of people, I don't think São Paulo will be winning any contest of being "pleasant". The city excels precisely on its raw urbanity.

I've never been to Michigan Avenue but I have the impression Paulista Avenue is even more vibrant, diverse and crowded.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:03 AM

For NYC it would have to be Spring st running through Nolita and SoHo.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:16 AM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Even though Paulista Avenue is very pedestrian friendly, with its wide sidewalks full of people, I don't think São Paulo will be winning any contest of being "pleasant". The city excels precisely on its raw urbanity.

I've never been to Michigan Avenue but I have the impression Paulista Avenue is even more vibrant, diverse and crowded.
I've been to both.

They're about the same in crowd size, though Paulista is more Yonge and Bloor in Toronto than Michigan. Paulista seems like the kind of street locals go to be seen and hang out, while that's not the case for Michigan Avenue, which is extremely touristy.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:53 AM

Here's a fun little 5 mile loop through the Miracle Mile and Fairfax district in the heart of the city:

Each leg of the loop is a great walking corridor in its own right. Looks like this the whole way:

Video Link

Video Link

There are so many great walking corridors in LA. You could spend all day just wandering around the major arterials. It's fairly busy all day, colorful eclectic shops everywhere, always pleasant weather, there are actual fun things to do and see. I'm not into that whole "human crush" experience. Not my idea of a pleasant walk.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Ahh the women....yes, that does affect the experience doesn’t it..
Yeah, one tends to not pay too much attention to architecture or other urban amenities when the incredible ethnic mix of Sao Paulo beauty is strolling by... one after another.

For a unique Pittsburgh urban walking tour, a great one is exploring the urban staircases which connect hilltop neighborhoods with neighborhoods in the "flats"... though it is very strenuous. The vistas and the experience of leaving one urban neighborhood, climbing a steep densely wooded hill, and emerging in another urban neighborhood are worth it though.

There are 800+ public staircases in the City of Pittsburgh (the City still maintains 712 of them), with never-fully-counted hundreds more in the surrounding towns of the rugged region.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:26 AM
Dryer lint inspector

^ I've walked up/down some of those stairs. Definitely a good workout.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions