HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I don’t know how much property acquisition costs. If it’s low, though, I will rather the west branch of Circle Drive be converted to freeway. For 11-16/Circle Drive interchange, we only need to expropriate properties on the west side to put in a fly-over from Circle Drive eastbound to 11-16 northbound, a loop from 11-16 southbound to Circle Drive eastbound. This is to ensure that the movement between the west branch of Circle Drive and 11-16 North(West) are uninterrupted. In fact, after the Airport Drive interchange (according to my proposal), the freeway lanes should just be elevated all the way until Highway 11-16. Meanwhile, intersections with Marquis Drive for both routes will be replaced with interchanges too, and likewise with 16 & 394 at the southeast corner.

If Edmonton has the gut to turn Highway 16 into a freeway in a very built up environment, I don’t see why not Sasktoon can’t do it either. In fact, as a digression, for Regina Bypass, I wish the province just took out a few properties along Victoria Avenue and threw a few interchanges in.

Personally, I really don’t like the freeway plan because it takes out quite a bit of environmentally sensitive land. Anyway, time to start a new thread for this new ring road?
I believe Highway 16 through Edmonton is only going to have an 80 km/h speed limit because there isn't space to have proper merge and exit lanes. If Saskatoon is in the same boat then it makes sense to build a new freeway. Time is money in the transportation industry. Having better roads will help to attract distributors, etc. If Saskatoon already had a freeway bypass they could do what Edmonton is doing.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 9:39 PM

Councillor pushes for more public input on Circle Drive west study

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ive-west-study

I understand the desire for this, but cutting off a large chunk of the West-of-Circle side's access to Circle seems really short sighted. Certainly this area clogs up a bit during rush hour, but that happens at Airport drive and the mess that is Circle from Millar to Ave. C even more on this "freeway". Having to route all that traffic to 22nd's AWFUL intersection would be brutal. The other options are travelling North up to 33rd (which is not a quick trip with all the lights) or South to 11th street (and dealing with the rail lines).

It's too bad Clancy didn't have more thought put into it when the South freeway was made. With the climb up to that intersection a tunnel under Circle to turn North/exit Circle to turn into Fairhaven (and even just continuing onto 18th St) could have been an option, but the 22nd exit probably screws that up.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 9:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

What about this?
Close access to Laurier Drive altogether. Extend Confederation Drive to Clancy Drive as a service road for Circle Drive. Shift Circle Drive east a bit and, most importantly, convert the interchange with 22 Street W into a single point interchange.

We will deal with the mess between Airport Road and SK-11 N (and Marquis Drive in the north and SK-394 in the south) later.

Once these 2 are done, we won’t need the outer ring for another 20 years.

Edit: I just read Corndoggers’ comment again. Hmm whether or not a maximum speed limit of 100 kph is actually debatable.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Feb 26, 2020 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 2:38 PM

Clarence Ave from College Dr to 8th St is getting completely revamped this year! http://vvcasaskatoon.com/wp/wp-conte...roject-Map.pdf

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:59 PM

For anyone who's interested here's more on the Saskatoon Freeway

https://saskatoonfreeway.org/phase-one-info-boards/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
For anyone who's interested here's more on the Saskatoon Freeway

https://saskatoonfreeway.org/phase-one-info-boards/
What they're doing with Highway 11 still boggles my mind, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if this thing ever actually gets built.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 7:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
What they're doing with Highway 11 still boggles my mind, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if this thing ever actually gets built.
Lets hope it doesn't and the province spends the money on something more important. (The Regina bypass was a waste as well)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 7:51 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why are the Regina & Saskatoon by-passes not designed as complete rings ?

As for the Yellowhead (highway 16) in Edmonton - If the speed limit on Whitemud is only 80km/hr I can’t see Yellowhead being more than that.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Why are the Regina & Saskatoon by-passes not designed as complete rings ?

As for the Yellowhead (highway 16) in Edmonton - If the speed limit on Whitemud is only 80km/hr I can’t see Yellowhead being more than that.
This is directly from the main page of the Yellowhead Trail Freeway project on the City of Edmonton's website.

Yellowhead Trail is becoming a freeway. This means 3 lanes of free-flowing traffic in each direction. The target speed will be 80km/hr. To do this, current signalized intersections and access on or off Yellowhead Trail will need to be removed and 2 new interchanges will be built. Road users will exit and enter Yellowhead Trail at the nearest interchange or a new parallel service road.

For some areas of the Yellowhead Trail, we are further along in the design process as concept planning is finished. In other areas, like 127 Street and 121 Street, concept planning will start in 2019.

Source: https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...onversion.aspx

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 2:49 PM
Peddling to progress

I would like to point out that if construction is outside the scope of ten years, and we assume construction would take five years, Saskatoon, Warmen, and Martinsville may have double the current population by the time the freeway is built.

I for one appreciate that the city is conducting the studies now because proactive planning is always better than reactive adjustments.

I also know that civic/provincial/federal budgets are a zero-sum game, but building a freeway doesn't necessarily hamper the ability to also improve public transportation. In fact routing semis outside of the city may (hopefully) make traffic flow better inside of the city!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 3:03 PM

Saskatoon Phase 1 summary, Phase 2 discussions starting soon.

https://saskatoonfreeway.org/phase-1/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Saskatoon Phase 1 summary, Phase 2 discussions starting soon.

https://saskatoonfreeway.org/phase-1/
This needs to be scrapped. Don't make the same mistake we did in Regina.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
This needs to be scrapped. Don't make the same mistake we did in Regina.
Are you referring to the project as a whole, or just to the preferred scenario for this portion of the project?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 9:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Are you referring to the project as a whole, or just to the preferred scenario for this portion of the project?
@djforsberg most likely meant the whole thing. By the way, a thread for Ring Road 2.0 does exist.
I've voiced my opinion too.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
@djforsberg most likely meant the whole thing. By the way, a thread for Ring Road 2.0 does exist.
I'm not talking about Ring Road 2.0. I'm talking about the Saskatoon bypass. And yes, I mean the whole thing. I also have lived there from 2012-16 and pay provincial taxes, so don't try and say I don't have a voice here. (How much of it is actually in the city limits anyway?)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 12:05 AM

You can have your opinion just like everyone else. I'm not 100% for this either but Saskatoon does need something to be done.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
You can have your opinion just like everyone else. I'm not 100% for this either but Saskatoon does need something to be done.
It would be a lot cheaper than $2B to fix Circle Dr North, stop urban sprawl, and invest in infrastructure to get vehicles OFF the roads. But no, our province is controlled by lobbyists such as the French company that built and now maintains the Regina Bypass.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I now realize you must be referring to the Saskatoon Ring Road thread. I didn’t know it was called that, like Regina’s Ring Road. So, my apologies.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
It would be a lot cheaper than $2B to fix Circle Dr North, stop urban sprawl, and invest in infrastructure to get vehicles OFF the roads. But no, our province is controlled by lobbyists such as the French company that built and now maintains the Regina Bypass.
Ha I’m of the same camp too. Grade-separate west circle drive, fly the freeway over the built up area from Airport Road to Highway 11 North, then build interchanges for 11 and 16 at Marcquis Drive, then call it a day.
Oh and replace 16 & 394 with an interchange too. Now we should be able to sign 100 kph all the way.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
There is no infrastructure buildable to get vehicles OFF roads. Doesn't matter how many bike lanes, bus lanes, rail lines etc you build, the bottom line is people will use there vehicles.

You would not "fix" Circle Drive North for $2 Billion. No way are you going to go around, over or under to avoid that stretch for that amount of money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan