HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 2:36 AM

^ Yeah, if you aren't into online gaming, streaming Netflix at 4K resolution or engaging in some other super-high bandwidth activities, you can probably step down to a lower cost option without noticing much of a difference at all.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:28 AM

Did you get a bill credit when you signed up? I also switched back to shaw recently and my first bill was super cheap. Now its 89 plus tax or whatever it is for 2 years.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I signed on when I moved to my current apt. first week of Jan 2020.

It's more than double the $61. Ouch.

I use it for editing Wikipedia and watching YouTube and listening to radio via TuneIn.com and e-mail. Nothing else. No one else living with me.

I remember the days in the mid-1990s when dial-up was $20 / month.

I see that there is an Internet 300 which I have and a lower cost and lower capped Internet 50. I can probably get by with the '50' plan.
id kill for stable 10mbit connect got 2 internet connections myself atm

bell mts witch is 90 a month for 1.2mbit but it runs at .2-.7mbit down and .4 up and most websites are a fight to load havent been able to update my virus checker since fall... allot of softwares broken i have cause it insists on cloud updates all the time.. its a struggle to download a 1meg pdf file atm times have to keep restarting the download

some games work on it for multiplayer but lately service has been getting worse (issues started befor the covid self isolating stuff) spoke to bell they dont care

so i picked up xplorenet its faster at 10mbit but caped at 100gig a month witch as soon as i pluged my laptop in i my computer download 100gigs in first 3 days......updates for software i wasnt able to use since the fall............... yay i can game again and use my softsynths/ daw again....and my virus checker works again. but theres still issues wih parts of the internet miffing up. and you cant game on satilite at all to much lag costing my 69 a month for 4 then goes to 120

so as a result i need to connections to do anything argg

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 5:06 PM

Any word on satelittle internet up there? Iridium or Starlink (when that gets running).

Starlink orbits don't seem to go that far north. So not sure how far then can broadcast, but seems Lynn Lake should be fine.

I checked iridium and its seem pretty slow. 2400 bps from receiver to satellite maximum. Which you'll likely never get.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 11:42 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
id kill for stable 10mbit connect got 2 internet connections myself atm

bell mts witch is 90 a month for 1.2mbit but it runs at .2-.7mbit down and .4 up and most websites are a fight to load havent been able to update my virus checker since fall... allot of softwares broken i have cause it insists on cloud updates all the time.. its a struggle to download a 1meg pdf file atm times have to keep restarting the download

some games work on it for multiplayer but lately service has been getting worse (issues started befor the covid self isolating stuff) spoke to bell they dont care

so i picked up xplorenet its faster at 10mbit but caped at 100gig a month witch as soon as i pluged my laptop in i my computer download 100gigs in first 3 days......updates for software i wasnt able to use since the fall............... yay i can game again and use my softsynths/ daw again....and my virus checker works again. but theres still issues wih parts of the internet miffing up. and you cant game on satilite at all to much lag costing my 69 a month for 4 then goes to 120

so as a result i need to connections to do anything argg
Have you tried/considered Linux? It's FREE to use and doesn't require a Virus Scanner, doesn't call home, CCLeaner, Adobe don't call home. Linux alternative to CCleaner is BleachBit, wich is what Hilary Clinton used to erase her e-mails, but BleachBit also gets rid of temp. files (/tmp) and other stuff. The software does not call home for updates. You update the software at you own choosing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BleachBit

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...leachbit+linux

I've used Fedora Linux since 2005 and it's worked quite well. Very satisfied with it.

When I want to update the software, *I* choose when, not the operating system, unlike in MS-Windows 7 (or any Windows product), you could be doing something, and then the computer is SLOW. The hard drive light is on constantly. When it finishes it tells ya it needs to shut down, which takes a few more SLOW minutes.

Cut the crappy OS, and switch. You're not forced to use MS-Windows.

https://distrowatch.com/

On Distrowatch.org, Linux Mint is still in the top 5 versions, while Fedora has slid over the past few years and is now 9th most popular. Mint has been designed to look and feel like MS-Windows as much as possible. Years ago I helped a friend try out Mint I was worried his data would be lost in the switch, but alas he had an external backup. Mint imported ALL his iTunes, every piece of data, kept MS-Windows on a *separate* petition so that if he determined that Linux was too complex he could just continue using MS-Windows.

Last edited by LilZebra; Apr 2, 2020 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 11:09 PM
Winnipeg

441 Main Closing

So unfortunately 441 Main closed it’s doors yesterday......they couldn’t pay their rent due to the current COVID-19 mess. It’s sad to see that this is the way they had to say goodbye.

Considering that a good club is always needed and in demand, I wonder who’s gonna continue their legacy after things become good again.

(I just had a glance at their dress code and I have to say I’m impressed, in a good way:
“The following items are NOT allowed at 441 Main:

Tank Tops / Muscle Shirts / Cut-off Sleeves

Track Pants / Track Suits / Gym Gear

Torn Clothing

Slippers

Excessively Baggy Clothing

Backwards Baseball Caps / Beanies / Bandanas / Toques

Sunglasses

Grills

Men’s necklaces more than 4 inches below the collar line

Jerseys/ Hoodies

Bedazzled Clothing (Ed Hardy, Christian Audigier, Dom Rebel, etc)

Gang Associated Clothing / Colours

Dirty and or Wrinkled Clothing

*We appreciate you covering excessive tattoos and over the top piercing and body body modifications.

**Priority entry will be offered to those sporting an upscale casual getup.

***Feel free to support our Jets and Blue Bomber on game day with team attire.”)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
So unfortunately 441 Main closed it’s doors yesterday......they couldn’t pay their rent due to the current COVID-19 mess. It’s sad to see that this is the way they had to say goodbye.

Considering that a good club is always needed and in demand, I wonder who’s gonna continue their legacy after things become good again.

(I just had a glance at their dress code and I have to say I’m impressed, in a good way:
“The following items are NOT allowed at 441 Main:

Tank Tops / Muscle Shirts / Cut-off Sleeves

Track Pants / Track Suits / Gym Gear

Torn Clothing

Slippers

Excessively Baggy Clothing

Backwards Baseball Caps / Beanies / Bandanas / Toques

Sunglasses

Grills

Men’s necklaces more than 4 inches below the collar line

Jerseys/ Hoodies

Bedazzled Clothing (Ed Hardy, Christian Audigier, Dom Rebel, etc)

Gang Associated Clothing / Colours

Dirty and or Wrinkled Clothing

*We appreciate you covering excessive tattoos and over the top piercing and body body modifications.

**Priority entry will be offered to those sporting an upscale casual getup.

***Feel free to support our Jets and Blue Bomber on game day with team attire.”)
Who was their target market? And what did they wear? I am not in the "staying out past 10pm" crowd. And I very rarely see people between the ages of 18 and 30 anymore.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 12:39 AM

Was that the club that was "sanctioned" by the city for removing some of the historically protected interior of the banking hall when day did interior renovations? I recall there was one of the clubs on Main St that got into trouble with the city for doing that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 12:52 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Who was their target market? And what did they wear? I am not in the "staying out past 10pm" crowd. And I very rarely see people between the ages of 18 and 30 anymore.
As said in their dress code, “upscale casual” should be the preferred choice. I’m no insider, but based on what’s being said there, in my opinion their target market is people who are affluent and fashionable. They likely also target people who are professionals, live in/near downtown, and prefer urban living. That being said, I think it’s probably untrue that they don’t attract young people all over the city.

I personally think there are quite a lot of people between 18 and 30 who “stay out past 10pm”. Last summer I went to a club in Osborne Village the crowd was crazy well past midnight. I think 441 would be no exception regarding that aspect.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 3:37 PM

^That's exactly who their crowd was, you got it bang on. I'm not big into nightclubs anymore but it was pretty much the last "nice" club in the city, so that's unfortunate. I know the owner and he's a great guy, who genuinely cared about his guests and staff. Also owns Summer of Sound which is likely to be cancelled, very unfortunate. There are not many clubs left in the city, and aside from Fame and The Pal (notwithstanding Mondays) they all skew very young, like 18-22 target. La Roca will likely be where the 25+ club crowd ends up now if they survive.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 7:09 PM

411 Main has been a number of clubs in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if it returns as another club in the future.

On a somewhat related topic does anyone know who own the surface parking lot just north of that building?

Doing some wishful thinking here. It's probably a bit lower on the wish list of surface lots we'd like to see built on, but if 411 is not occupied, would that make it more attractive to incorporate the existing building into some new construction on the surface lot?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
411 Main has been a number of clubs in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if it returns as another club in the future.

On a somewhat related topic does anyone know who own the surface parking lot just north of that building?

Doing some wishful thinking here. It's probably a bit lower on the wish list of surface lots we'd like to see built on, but if 411 is not occupied, would that make it more attractive to incorporate the existing building into some new construction on the surface lot?
The last 5 clubs there were all the same owner, just have to change clubs every 3-5 years to stay relevant generally. With what went down with the landlord,I doubt he’s gonna open one there again.

And that lot is owned by the city and used for parking city inspector vehicles, for staff that work in the Confederation Building. Maybe if the city ever builds the James Ave Parkade, they could relocate the vehicles and sell or develop the lot.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 8:15 PM
BANNED

yes very "classy" and "nice" place and people: (nsfw) https://imgur.com/a/R745BFw

from a reddit thread:

Quote:
They left out the part where they photoshopped the landlord's face onto naked photos of his daughter and plastered them everywhere too.... Don't give these people your business.
Quote:
And also left out the part where they were already three months worth behind on rent too.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 8:17 PM
BANNED

love hanging out at cool and affluent and fashionable places like this

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 11:03 PM

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Apr 13, 2020 at 1:03 PM. Reason: clean-up

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 3:13 AM

I spotted this rather on-point google ad here for 250 Portage, which is on the market:

https://www.buildingdowntownwinnipeg...SAAEgI_gfD_BwE

It's a pretty sweet looking building in a good location.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 12:50 PM

Well, at least the opening paragraph from this WFP story today about Winnipeg's office market is positive:

Quote:
During the first quarter of 2020, Winnipeg’s office market had a relatively strong showing. Over that stretch, nearly 130,000 square-feet of net office space was absorbed, marking the highest quarterly absorption rate in five years and more than the total amount from all of 2019.
Then after that it descends into an abyss of COVID-related gloom and uncertainty.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...569774872.html

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 2:19 PM

250 Portage has been for sale for like a decade.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 2:59 PM

^ Has it? I lost track. Either way, it's a shame that it hasn't been put to some better use. It's such a beauty of a building...good location too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 6:46 PM

Yeah for a while it was for Sale or Lease, I think even as far back as when the jewellery store was fully operational.

The current owner has really let the exterior go, almost all the granite on the Garry side is gone, what's left is destroyed and loose. The interior looks like it hasn't seen upgrades in 20+ years. Wouldn't be surprised if the amount of work this building needs is what's keeping it from being sold. The fact that the second floor is small and most of the space is just an open area means there isn't a ton of leasable space in its current form either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan