HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:57 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. They did a great job of restoring it. They turned what was a car dealership into lively restaurants, the tower only sits over half of the original structure and where the tower meets the building on the north side the simple lines are a nice balance to the brick. This is an example of how to do a fecademy right.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66156...7i16384!8i8192

2007:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66233...!7i3328!8i1664

Vs.

2019:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66233...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I don't think NYC and Toronto feel similar.

In terms of demographics, NYC is way more Hispanic & Black. Toronto is way more Asia-Pacific (i.e., East Asians (e.g., Chinese), South Asians (e.g., Indians), Southeast Asians (e.g., Filipinos). That's like one of the most striking differences when you land in NYC -- the large Hispanic & Black populations.

Sticking with demographics, the multigenerational White populations in both cities are pretty different culturally and attitudinally. People in Toronto generally seem more like a mix of British politeness and Midwestern niceness / down-to-earthness.
Another thing to add regarding the people, which popped up into my mind this morning, is that New Yorkers in Manhattan don't generally wait for the light to cross. As long as they think the coast is clear, they're crossing. And I get it. There are lights every block it seems and it would take forever to anywhere if they always waited.

Here in TO, when I'm walking from Union to work, people are not only waiting for the light, they are waiting for the little walking mine to show up. That 1-2 second in between the light turning red and the walking man show up will have like 4/5 people at the light still waiting even though they walk this route all the time and know there's no advance. While 1/5 will start walking as soon as it turns red.

Now I'm comparing the CBD of TO Manhattan outside of Wall Street. Didn't spend a heck of a lot of time down there.

Anyway, in Chicago, I don't recall people jaywalking non stop everywhere.

New Yorkers to me are on a whole other level than people anywhere else. So therefore, TO and CHI people would be closer in personality and attitude than NY and TO.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:22 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Anyway, in Chicago, I don't recall people jaywalking non stop everywhere.

New Yorkers to me are on a whole other level than people anywhere else. So therefore, TO and CHI people would be closer in personality and attitude than NY and TO.
People in Chicago are not very similar to people in Toronto at all. Just stop already.

Two seconds of Googling:

Video Link

0:17 -- "A midwest stereotype that I heard before I came here was that, the Midwest, everyone here is super nice, super friendly, everybody that you see says good morning, hi to you a million times a day..."

<cue exaggerated hand waving in video>

Midwestern Americans are gregariously outgoing, friendly and nice. Torontonians are reserved, polite and nice. The lack of jaywalking in Chicago and Toronto when compared to New York doesn't logically mean that people in Chicago and Toronto are all that similar. Because if that's the case, you might as well say that chimpanzees and crocodiles are similar in that, unlike birds, they don't fly.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:49 PM

Okay, well it appears there’s absolutely no reasoning with you despite how many times I or other members mention the key details of “if we are comparing the two, then I choose one over the other” and “but they are by no means actually close matches”. Yet you keep insisting that we are implying that the people are similar. I don’t know how else to explain things. I tried. You just don’t want to grasp what it is being written.

People on here have said before that you’re a troll and you seem hell bent on confirming that. I’ve seen your posts bashing this and that, particularly places out west. And you write in absolutes like as if there’s no in between.

I get the feeling you're on the ignore list of at least a few members.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. They did a great job of restoring it. They turned what was a car dealership into lively restaurants, the tower only sits over half of the original structure and where the tower meets the building on the north side the simple lines are a nice balance to the brick. This is an example of how to do a fecademy right.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66156...7i16384!8i8192

2007:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66233...!7i3328!8i1664

Vs.

2019:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66233...7i16384!8i8192
I agree. That's a pretty nice piece of work.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:00 PM
Registered Drug User

You keep on saying this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
TO and CHI people would be closer in personality and attitude than NY and TO.
And I keep on saying that this is a meaningless statement. Who cares if people in Toronto and Chicago both jaywalk less than New Yorkers when, in virtually every other metric, people in Toronto and Chicago are so different from each other?

You keep on suggesting that Torontonians and Chicagoans are "closer to each other in personality and attitude" because of the lack of jaywalking. I keep on pointing out that this is a logical fallacy with no basis in reality.

Sorry for being so argumentative. It's a slow work day today.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:15 PM

Earlier I also said how rude New Yorkers were, how aggressive their drivers were and how I heard multiple people talk business when I was down around Wall Street. And then mentioned that in CHI it was nothing like that, which was way closer to my everyday TO experience.

And ya, it's anecdotal, but augmented by stereotypes and observations through various media.

I don't think I mentioned this one before, but the first morning when I was NY last time, I was walking down the street at 7:30 and the one and only other person on the sidewalk was going the other way. I instinctively said "morning" with a nod. His reaction was like he just saw an alien and he mumbled something back.

I've been in a similar type situation a couple times in the heart of TO and of course, the people nodded and said morning back. The NY guy was a small sample size but not surprising given the reputation of the people. TO does not have that reputation.

So many, many ways I see NY people as being different than any other city that it's hard for me to say they're more like TO people than some other cities within the same radius.

There are many similarities, but too many dissimilar characteristics for me at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:47 PM

You can find a bit of both in Toronto. Where Toronto is more like New York is it's diversity and Liberal policies. Where it's less like Chicago is the racism which can be found much closer to the surface of day to day life there.

Sony A77. Adelaide Street Sunset by Peter LeDoux, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 7:50 PM

Rideau Street, Ottawa

https://www.160chapel.com/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 10:32 PM

"Torontonians are reserved, polite and nice."

Thanks for the (endless/ancient), retro comment. But sure the rest of Canada appreciates it.

Future discussion may require a new thread, in the Toronto forum. Nobody else wants to hear it ;-)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:09 PM

Dead streets of Downtown Ottawa.

Metcalfe, looking south from Queen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...h-26-1.5510379

Laurier, looking west from just before Metcalfe and O'Connor, looking south from Wellington.

Looking down at Kent towards the south, with the Kent-Laurier intersection visible near the top.

From the War memorial, looking south down Elgin.

From Bank, west down Sparks.

From Wellington, south down Bank.

From O'Connor, west down Sparks.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/o...ve-here-photos

Rideau Street looking east, from the Rideau Centre-HBC skywalk.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ed...the-handshake/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:13 PM

Bay street Monday
Untitled by Alex Meoko, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:40 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 4:15 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 8:55 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Yonge St.

slush day
by Sanjin Avdicevic, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 9:27 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Yonge St.

slush day
by Sanjin Avdicevic, on Flickr
The fusillade of lasers combined into a yellow blur as they coursed along the surface of the slushy street in search of their target, the world-weary Vasily Maksimov, just three days removed from his shuttered shop on Nevsky Prospekt, now wandering aimlessly in a Toronto he barely knew, his life about to end for a crime he did not commit, his legacy snuffed out for no reason other than that he was in the right place at the right time, something to which the Snoraxi did not take kindly.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 11:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The fusillade of lasers combined into a yellow blur as they coursed along the surface of the slushy street in search of their target, the world-weary Vasily Maksimov, just three days removed from his shuttered shop on Nevsky Prospekt, now wandering aimlessly in a Toronto he barely knew, his life about to end for a crime he did not commit, his legacy snuffed out for no reason other than that he was in the right place at the right time, something to which the Snoraxi did not take kindly.
I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 12:35 AM
The New Republic

Love the thread but with each photo my thoughts instantly focused on how to fix the public realm. When you've just spent a few weeks in a country (Australia) where their public realm is attractive the grim, unwelcoming, primitive look of Canada's public realm is a shock. I suppose it will take me a year before it becomes less jarring to my eyes.

These below are stunningly bleak and this is our national capital. Canada does lots of thing very very well but we're absolutely hopeless when it comes to design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Dead streets of Downtown Ottawa.

Metcalfe, looking south from Queen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...h-26-1.5510379

Laurier, looking west from just before Metcalfe and O'Connor, looking south from Wellington.

Looking down at Kent towards the south, with the Kent-Laurier intersection visible near the top.

From the War memorial, looking south down Elgin.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/o...ve-here-photos

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 9, 2020 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 12:50 AM

To be fair, Centretown IS stunningly bleak. A world of beige and grey, for the beige and grey.

BTW, you’ve returned from Australia?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 9:17 AM
video et taceo

Montreal is quite good at public realm design, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada