HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That saddlery thing brings back memories....back in the day when every little proposal was a big deal here.

I can't remember what that twin tower thing is....main street?
As Esquire said it was one of the Hydro head office proposals - I believe FT3 and an Indigenous group (whoever owns that property).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

things u find in ur archives that people cant find... thats been mentioned a few times onn here in the last couple months so figure eh ill post them

the twins are peguis proposal around hydro. one of our fellow forumers designed that if i recall.

the burtsadlry one is crica 2007 2008

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Like the second one here but no idea what it is.
I love the 2 twin rounded towers. We have nothing round, so personally I would love to see something like that somewhere downtown. Everything we have is square boxy except for the Credit |Union towre named Ricoh that is triangular pie shaped.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Another old proposal for the failed 100 Main St (became 300 Assiniboine) from Cibinel Architects - would have been Winnipeg's tallest.....and a round building.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Feb 11, 2020 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:05 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Another old proposal for the failed 100 Main St (became 300 Assiniboine) from Cibinel Architects - would have been Winnipeg's tallest.....and a round building.

For some reason the images won't show up, even when I copy and paste the URL into a new tab
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hydro proposal at Smith and St. Mary.

But yeah, back in the early-mid 00s there was next to nothing happening in town other than the MTS Centre and suburban big box stores. The tiniest project was always huge news!
I've been lurking here for almost 20 years now. Remember how excited this place got when Credit Union Central was proposed and then built? Such a different time

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:31 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Hydro proposal at Smith and St. Mary.

But yeah, back in the early-mid 00s there was next to nothing happening in town other than the MTS Centre and suburban big box stores. The tiniest project was always huge news!
Those Hydro tower proposals were the original reason why I joined this place.

I sure learned a lot about our city, beyond tallest buildings, and various architectures, along with you fine people here.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:34 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I love the 2 twin rounded towers. We have nothing round, so personally I would love to see something like that somewhere downtown. Everything we have is square boxy except for the Credit |Union towre named Ricoh that is triangular pie shaped.
Nothing round? Yes we do! The rounded windows at TD Centre > CanWest Pl. > 201 Portage. It's so unique that it's featured as part of the banner of this web forum.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:59 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I've been lurking here for almost 20 years now. Remember how excited this place got when Credit Union Central was proposed and then built? Such a different time
demolished the most beautiful theatre in western Canada to do it!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
demolished the most beautiful theatre in western Canada to do it!
Technically true but the damage was done years ago when the Portage Avenue entrance was demolished and the theatre was split into two levels. Add years of neglect after the cinema closed and there wasn't much left of the place by the time it came down.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Technically true but the damage was done years ago when the Portage Avenue entrance was demolished and the theatre was split into two levels. Add years of neglect after the cinema closed and there wasn't much left of the place by the time it came down.
Yeah, old theatres with bad postwar renovations and years of abandonment can't ever be restored...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:39 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the difference being that the Met remained more or less intact at the time of it's restoration.

There is certainly a finite number of theatres that can be successfully restored and re-used within downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:43 PM

^^and IIRC it remained heated after it was closed. Pretty sure the Capitol was not.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^^and IIRC it remained heated after it was closed. Pretty sure the Capitol was not.
Exactly. I remember seeing pictures of the interior of the Capitol towards the end and it was a shambles. I mean, technically it could have been restored but the pricetag would have been immense, far beyond the range of any realistic business case that anyone could have come up with for the theatre.

Anyway, I'm not dancing on the Capitol's grave, I too wish it could have been preserved. But unfortunately the window of opportunity to do that began closing once Famous Players pulled out, and that particular era (the 1990s generally) was a damn hard time to get anything done in downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:22 AM
surely you agree with me

I noticed a machine digging test holes on the open lot on Sherbrook where the community garden used to be. Close to Broadway. I wonder what’s up.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we lost the capital but in the process of that cv pulled a boner on a small developer that was working on the house storefront building beside it and seized it back from the guy working on it in one of their many boner moves

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I noticed a machine digging test holes on the open lot on Sherbrook where the community garden used to be. Close to Broadway. I wonder what’s up.
wasnt there a proposal a year back maybe thats moving forward?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
we lost the capital but in the process of that cv pulled a boner on a small developer that was working on the house storefront building beside it and seized it back from the guy working on it in one of their many boner moves
Right there

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Nothing round? Yes we do! The rounded windows at TD Centre > CanWest Pl. > 201 Portage. It's so unique that it's featured as part of the banner of this web forum.
Nothing wrong with 201 main..I mean a completely round building, not curves...Everything built here is square or with hard edges..a softer round or oval shaped building would be fabulous. Twin towers even better..like that failed Hydro proposal I had not seen til now

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Nothing wrong with 201 main..I mean a completely round building, not curves...Everything built here is square or with hard edges..a softer round or oval shaped building would be fabulous. Twin towers even better..like that failed Hydro proposal I had not seen til now
Don't forget about the parkade on Garry!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan