HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:20 PM
Community Guy

No worries... for it will all be covered in ticker tape.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Jesus, just saw this pic on Skyrise looking for pics of the plaza. Really underwhelmed with the construction quality on Rogers.
Looks fine to me?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:22 PM

You don't see all the shitty, wavy cladding on the Arena on the left side of that picture?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:05 PM

With Babcock's firing the lid came off and all of this bad blood is coming to light. After the Marner story a bunch of former players who don't have a career to lose anymore have basically come out saying what a piece of shit he is.

Most recent is an accusation against Bill Peters who worked as an assistant with Babcock.

We already talked about whether Peters was on the brink, this might give management an easy out.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:14 PM

^ I haven't really read up in detail on Keefe's past, but I saw the news articles last week that spoke to Keefe's sociopathic background. Why would the Leafs swap one maladjusted head coach for another?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I haven't really read up in detail on Keefe's past, but I saw the news articles last week that spoke to Keefe's sociopathic background. Why would the Leafs swap one maladjusted head coach for another?
Really? I've heard nothing of the sort and I thought I digested every piece of hockey news available.

All I've heard about Keefe is how every player who's been coached by him loves him. He's followed Dubas from the Sault Greyhounds, to the Marlies, and now to the big club. Dubas doesn't seem like the type to bring someone with heavy baggage along for the ride. He wanted Babcock gone for well over a year (mostly for personnel utilization, but it's hard to imagine he didn't also know about some of this stuff going on).

I think the most telling piece of evidence is that 13 of the current Leafs have played for Keefe at one point or another on the Marlies. Since the firing, every single interview and quote from said players has shown nothing but excitement for having their old coach back, and nothing but non-answers regarding their thoughts on Babcock. Hell Dermott actually publicly said he thought firing Babcock was the right move. In a sport known for zero genuine player insight, that's about a big an F you as you can get.

Every player has been using the same word too. Freedom. They know that Keefe actually lets his players utilize their skill on offense. Part of Keefe's philosophy is if you want your players to play hard on defense, give them a reason too. He wants them to desperately want the puck back to be able to display that skill carrying the puck through the neutral zone and keeping play on the other side of the ice. As opposed to Babcock where you were supposed to give 110% to stop the cycle only to then dump the puck in so he can toss the fourth line "real gud pros" back on the ice. It's only two game so far, but the amount of new life injected into the team is already obvious. Sustaining that through the rough patches will be the real test.

Last edited by suburbanite; Nov 26, 2019 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:25 PM
I am the law!

So you think the players threw some points away to get rid of Babcock?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Because it is intended to be a gathering space, an outdoor skating rink, a place to sit and watch street-performers, movies etc.
I don't think you quite got my point. The whole idea of a multi-functional space is just stupid to me outside of a stadium with a large screen that will show playoff hockey at some point. It should be a flat open space because everything is a hazard when you have 1000 plus people crammed tight.

It's not a public space. It's also small and hidden behind commercial podiums. Once again, expectations that this will be a new centre of downtown over one specific to hockey and events Rogers Place has been overblown.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:01 PM
Community Guy

It is a private space, private property and run as such... and will be quite popular.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Really? I've heard nothing of the sort and I thought I digested every piece of hockey news available.
https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...-sheldon-keefe

(The relevant excerpt of McGregor's book that Simmons refers to is available online, but I haven't read that yet.)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:33 PM

So looks like the Flames have a distraction to address now. Hope the allegations against Peters aren't true, but we will see.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:38 PM

I mentioned on the previous page Keefe's involvement with the "Brampton Boys". He obviously was either not as psycho as Mike Danton or matured and outgrew it more than Danton.

I would imagine there are already people looking into his past trying to dig up some dirt now that's he got such a high profile gig.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...-sheldon-keefe

(The relevant excerpt of McGregor's book that Simmons refers to is available online, but I haven't read that yet.)
Ahh a Steve Simmons Sun article, that explains it. I like how he alludes to this dark past without actually saying anything about it. Wants to influence peoples perceptions and create strife but won't actually reference the facts.

He is likely referring to the infamous "Brampton Boys" a group of junior hockey players of which Keefe was apart of who ended up all playing for the Barrie Colts. His biggest piece of notoriety was refusing to shake OHL/CHL commissioners hand when they won the trophy...

The crazy part of that story is his agent David Frost was the target of a murder conspiracy from one of his other clients, a former Keefe teammate who tried to hire a hitman to kill Frost.

I haven't seen any negative press surrounding Keefe's relatively young coaching career.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:48 PM

I know nothing about Peters and his personality. I haven't seen more than a couple of pics of him. But he does look like one of those a-hole coaches if we're going on looks alone. If what is being said is true then Peters has the look to match it.

Guys like Torts and Keenan and Boucher have that look. And the first two I think have the personality to match it. Don't remember much about Guy Boucher other than that he looks like a villain from a movie.

Now that things are surfacing about Babcock, people are bring up Scotty Bowman. I told the story many months ago here how I saw him at rest stop off the 401 at 10pm on a Sunday and what a total douche he was being only for him to be all smiles the following year when my friend's company hired him as a motivational speaker.

I think NHL teams are going to have to take coaching personality into account now. I think college football and bball teams started this a few years ago after a few firings based on rough treatment of players.

There are guys like Torts, Therrien, Keenan and Babcock who inevitably wear out their welcome and have players tune them out. I said at the time, an 8 year deal for Babs was not cool, but then again it's not my money. If the Leafs were winning cups then I suppose you could last 8 years, but that would be incredibly difficult in this salary cap age.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:52 PM

Without any facts I wouldn't hold anything against Keefe for how he was as teenager. If he grew up now in the age of social media then maybe we'd have evidence. At the same time, I can't think of him as a saint given his connection to Frost and rest of those bros. I heard stories from my friends and classmates about them, but I couldn't tell you now which stories related to which guy. As a matter of fact I can barely remember anything that was said now.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
So you think the players threw some points away to get rid of Babcock?
Depends what you mean by throw points away.

It was brought up on-air whether players would intentionally try and lose to get rid of a coach and any former player who has addressed that point has unequivocally said it doesn't happen. That's in the sense of intentionally turning the puck over or missing the net on purpose. You don't make it to this level without an exceptional level of pride and belief in yourself. Players legacies and earnings are based on the points they put up and you don't jeopardize that because you don't like your boss.

What's more likely is that Babcock lost the trust of the players both as a coach and a person. Hockey is game where success and failure balance on a pretty thin line so if everyone is not completely on the same page things fall apart pretty quickly. That style of coaching is extremely draining on the players, and the same thing happened in Detroit when they lost Lidstrom and co. and the results were no longer there but the assholery still was.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Didn't take long.....

Sportsnet@Sportsnet (Twitter)

13m
BREAKING: Flames fire coach Bill Peters after allegations by Akim Aliu.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Didn't take long.....

Sportsnet@Sportsnet (Twitter)

13m
BREAKING: Flames fire coach Bill Peters after allegations by Akim Aliu.
WOW that was fast.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:41 PM
What could go wrong?

Strange...now they are posting this...

TSN@TSN_Sports (Twitter)

9m
"Bill [Peters] has not been relieved of his duties, we are continuing this ongoing investigation right now," says Flames GM Brad Treliving.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:42 PM

Peters has not been fired.... yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada