HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Does anyone know if Wilmington will be able to annex the land around it to make the city bigger in the future??
That will never, ever happen. NCCo and most of its residents want really nothing to do with Wilmington, the suburbs are the suburbs (well...they might venture to the Riverfront or Trolley Square once in awhile, but that is it). County gov't and COW are often at odds. You would literally have people with torches and pitchforks storming Dover if COW tried annexing long established surrounding suburbs/North Wilmington.

If you are talking about some of the industrial wastelands in South Wilmington area -- that are undeveloped, that is possible.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:15 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Cool. It's always great to hear when a local city is doing well.

I do wonder why the Southwest (Arizona and Texas specifically) is booming with business and population. What is it about these areas that attract companies away from the Northeast when arguably, the Northeast geography is so much better? And how does Phoenix have a larger population that Philly when it downtown literally looks like Wilmington's and it's in the middle of a desert? Philly just looks and feels so much bigger than Phoenix. I'm not saying Phoenix is a bad city, I'm just confused.
You have to look at the history of the area, laws, people &, etc. Most people would rather live in warm then cold, why? because warmer weather tends to have a better evening/night scene & people wanna be outside, out in areas such as the northeast that get cold every 7 months businesses shut down their outside areas & everyone stays inside unless they have to go out.

Also, you must remember Northeast/Rustbelt areas were hit hard during the white flight, factories leaving era..... where do you think these people went they moved to suburbs other states and etc.

Cities are now popular again thanks to yippies and etc.

But as far as Wilmington & Philly UNTIL Wilmington creates more night scenes and LOWERS the crime MORE it will not grow as much. as well as the school districts improving, younger families are looking at schools, crime, stuff to do & more, Wilmington is slowly but surely doing that however Philly which is 30 mins away with no traffic has everything that I just mentioned plus more.

Give it time Wilmington is coming up, as long as it follows the blueprint of philly & NY it will work.

Also remember Delaware is #6 for retirement state.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:19 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
That will never, ever happen. NCCo and most of its residents want really nothing to do with Wilmington, the suburbs are the suburbs (well...they might venture to the Riverfront or Trolley Square once in a while, but that is it). County gov't and COW are often at odds. You would literally have people with torches and pitchforks storming Dover if COW tried annexing long-established surrounding suburbs/North Wilmington.

If you are talking about some of the industrial wastelands in South Wilmington area -- that are undeveloped, that is possible.
I could only imagine if Wilmington had half of the issues that Philly had they would move in droves.

I really think some of the people that live in New castle county have never been to Wilmington or even Philly. I would hate to live in such fear and mindset.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Anyone know who is occupying this new 4 story Mini scraper by I-95 before the Concord exit 8?

http://https://nccde.maps.arcgis.com...3fdb6044f810b9
Bad link^ but if you are talking about new construction in that vicinity -- there are two projects that you can see from I-95, heading north, by the Concord Pike/202-West Chester exit:

1) The new Abessinio Stadium - for Sallies (the Notre Dame of high schools in DE). https://www.salesianum.org/abessinio-stadium

2) Incyte Pharma - phase 3 is under construction now, and you can see the futuristic phase 2 building (completed) from I-95 heading north (maybe you were referring to that).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:14 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Bad link^ but if you are talking about new construction in that vicinity -- there are two projects that you can see from I-95, heading north, by the Concord Pike/202-West Chester exit:

1) The new Abessinio Stadium - for Sallies (the Notre Dame of high schools in DE). https://www.salesianum.org/abessinio-stadium

2) Incyte Pharma - phase 3 is under construction now, and you can see the futuristic phase 2 building (completed) from I-95 heading north (maybe you were referring to that).

Yup that was it the incyte building, I found out after looking at the GIS map with the bad link I posted, nice to see businesses coming back to Wilmington even though they are a couple of feet out of city limits xD

The stadium I already knew about, it's good that they are improving it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:45 PM

Wilmington/Delaware has an unusually large number of top tier private schools: Salesianum, Tower Hill, Archemere (where my husband and the Bidens went), St. Andrews (of Dead Poet's Society fame). Is there a particular reason why?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:56 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Wilmington/Delaware has an unusually large number of top tier private schools: Salesianum, Tower Hill, Archemere (where my husband and the Bidens went), St. Andrews (of Dead Poet's Society fame). Is there a particular reason why?
They just started here & grew that's all, I wish the same would happen for the public schools.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 11:41 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Does anyone know what the building with the LED screen from looks like the 80's is called?

Any idea if they will ever update that LED screen?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 12:38 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

http://https://www.delawareonline.co...el/4998781002/

Residents going crazy again, they do not want the one area in Newark, DE that's meant to grow.... not to grow.

The proposed hotel 1 block away from the new Hyatt being built on MAIN ST, will now be a proposed student housing building.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Yes, those institutions are all old, and supported by lots of old money. Wilmington suburbs, particularly northwest of the city--Greenville, Centreville, Hockessin, etc are very wealthy, insular, parochial. This is old DuPont money type of wealth, long relationships, grandfathers, fathers, sons... all going to the same schools.

Furthermore, whatever your position on school busing, there is no denying that when federal courts made busing mandatory, particularly focusing on Wilmington and the surrounding suburbs (sending suburb kids to city schools, and vice versa), damn near everyone who could afford to send their kids to private or catholic school did (meaning whites were deathly afraid of sending little Jimmy and Jackie to Wilmington for 4-6 grades, or having "city kids" at suburban high schools). Thus, private/Catholic high schools really benefited from a lot of latent racism (if not outright racism).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 11:55 PM

Main Line Health opens 94,000-square-foot outpatient center in King of Prussia

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20200310.html

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 3:38 PM

Developer plans 267,000-square-foot warehouse in South Jersey

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ehouse-in.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 11:56 PM

Wilmington updates:

BPG's The Cooper - downtown, lower Market Street.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9-LmfTBPrh/

Capano's new apt building - Highlands/Brandywine Creek/Alapocas Run State Park:

Other updates:
-Incyte phase 3 is well underway, concrete poured.
-2000 PA Avenue apt building continues, the old Sante Fe restaurant which used be at this location (the old shopping center), announced they will be moving back into one of the retail/restaurant spots.
-New restaurant on the Riverfront - steel framing is under construction for the restaurant pad between Iron Hill Brewery and Big Fish Grill. (It will be 'Taco Grande' - operated by Big Fish).
-Sallies new stadium replacing Baynard Stadium is rising, the core is about 4 levels high. The new stadium will hold 5,000 spectators.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 12:32 AM

^ What, if anything, is going on with respect to “non-essential” business closures in Delaware? All the local news that I have seen tends to be about Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ What, if anything, is going on with respect to “non-essential” business closures in Delaware? All the local news that I have seen tends to be about Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Gov. Carney announced all "non-essential" businesses will be closed starting on Tuesday, 3/24 at 8pm. I looked at the list of what this entails--seems to be a bit more liberal than PA/NJ. For instance, liquor stores will remain open. I was stunned to see most private/small businesses open all last week, and this weekend. Private businesses were not closing on their own--including, gun shops! There was literally a line for a gun shop that went out of the store and down Concord Pike/202 in North Wilmington yesterday (no social distancing either). Scary times.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 5:17 PM

Stockton University Set to Break Ground on New Student Housing in Atlantic City

Quote:
Stockton University and Atlantic City Development Corporation are moving forward with plans to build a new residence hall as part of the second phase of their satellite campus, which should start formal construction during the summer months.

Back in June last year, Stockton University’s Board of Trustees approved plans for a 140,000-square-foot dormitory building that will feature 416 beds in an apartment style setting. Other amenities at the property include a lounge, meeting space, laundry facilities, and parking.
Read more here:
https://jerseydigs.com/stockton-univ...atlantic-city/

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 8:56 AM
Philly Pholly

So good to see good news in Atlantic City. So much potential there.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 8:46 PM

Wilmington Riverfront Hyatt showing some love:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-5s3N6lj4h/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 6:17 PM

Hope everyone is safe and doing well!

Here is an update on Frontier returning to Wilmington, Delaware:
Quote:
Frontier Airlines will launch round-trip service between Wilmington Airport and Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Nov. 12, after a six-month delay attributed to the coronavirus. It appears the round-trip fare from Wilmington (ILG) will be $178 round-trip fare and $89 one-way, although other prices for other dates did pop up during multiple visits to the Frontier website on Monday. The airline is using a larger plane that originally planned, with the site showing a 180-seat Airbus A320.
Read more - https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/ne...november-2020/

I think this is definitely the right thing to do because of the virus.

Hope everyone is safe!

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:19 PM

Fast-growing biotech firm, WuXi AppTec takes King of Prussia space, plans 100 new jobs

Read more here behind paywall:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...continues.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations