HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Yes it is.

I don’t understand this move as the mini store which was a somewhat known brand (and is also moving towards EV) couldn’t make it work there. The sales model is similar to Tesla for polestar but this location is owned by the gain group out of Victoria. The yaletown location given the nature of the traffic there seems like massive risk especially for more or less a showroom. They probably would have been better off on Robison or Alberni but probably couldn’t justify the expense of the real estate.
Even more bizaare is the second location that is literally a 10 minute walk up the street.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 4:06 AM

I thought an article said that the Yaletown Polestar location is temporary until the Seymour location is fitted out.

Found it.

Just don't know how the Seymour location is better than the Yaleown one - logistically it's a weirdly shaped space.

Quote:
Additionally, until the new permanent retail location is ready, the company is also opening a temporary showroom in Yaletown at 1050 Homer Street on December 11. This will take over a 9,800-sq-ft retail space that is already designed as a dealership; the space was previously occupied by BMW’s MINI Yaletown.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pole...ver-dealership

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I thought an article said that the Yaletown Polestar location is temporary until the Seymour location is fitted out.

Found it.

Just don't know how the Seymour location is better than the Yaleown one - logistically it's a weirdly shaped space.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pole...ver-dealership
I missed that. Thanks! I guess Robson/Seymour is more central.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 6:56 AM

Where did Mini Yaletown move? I googled and there's a mini on W. 5th. Was that always there, or did Mini Yaletown relocate and open this as a new location?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:59 AM

From today's Sun, interviews with MLAs David Eby and Andrew Wilkinson on why their West Side neighbourhoods are hollowing out:

Douglas Todd: The hollowing out of Vancouver’s west side (Part 1)
Analysis: From online shopping to skyrocketing commercial property values, higher taxes and rents, UBC’s ‘city’ growth, gentrification and yes, the pandemic, many factors are at play
Publishing date: Dec 10, 2020

Beloved independent stores and restaurants have been shutting their doors at a bewildering, depressing pace on Vancouver’s west side.

Pane E Fromaggio. Dunbar Vacuum. Dentry’s Irish Grill, which also served as a popular sports pub and sponsored local teams. Jethro’s Fine Grub. Athene’s Greek Restaurant. Moderne Burger. Semperviva Yoga. Dunbar Produce. House of Chains. La Provence. Calhoun’s. Café Katzenjammer’s.

Bean Brothers Coffee. Mayhew Sherwood Flowers. Trafalgar’s Bistro. Senova Restaurant. Dunbar Lumber. SKP Restaurant. Wonderland Dollar Store. Plum Clothing. The Bike Gallery. Rothman and Co. Linens. La Patisserie Bordeaux.

That’s just a sample from the past few years. And even chain outlets are going down — like Starbucks, Tim Horton’s and Safeway on West 10th Avenue near the UBC gates, not to mention long-time VanCity Savings Credit Union branches in both Point Grey and Dunbar...

...The coronavirus pandemic has been only the most recent determinant. Consumers’ transition to online shopping and big-box suburban stores have been playing a role for years. So have skyrocketing commercial property values, taxes and rents. It’s also significant the University of B.C. is turning into a full-scale 24-hour city.

Other factors enfeebling Vancouver’s west-side businesses include sharply shifting demographics, globalization, gentrification, satellite families and housing speculation. They’re contributing to underutilized homes and, in many neighbourhoods, declining populations....

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...st-side-part-1

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
From today's Sun, interviews with MLAs David Eby and Andrew Wilkinson on why their West Side neighbourhoods are hollowing out:
I found it funny to read "Consumers’ transition to online shopping and big-box suburban stores have been playing a role for years" and later on it talks about single people living in 3 - 4 bedroom homes on the west-side. Uhm maybe young families are moving to the suburbs as that's where they can afford to live, and shopping at the stores close to them (which in some cases is a big-box store).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:15 AM

I had to come back after reading the comments under that article. There's one I think a lot of people here will roll their eyes over.

Quote:
And the current plan is to devastate West Broadway/West 10th further still by building a subway to UBC. Then all those tens of thousands of transit riders will be whisked through in a dark hole, unaware of the businesses above them.

A tram/LRT hybrid would keep those tens of thousands up on the street where they could easily stop for some shop, service or restaurant en route to where they are going. Instead we are aiming for a system that will collapse any sense of community further still by encouraging UBC staff and students to commute in from Coquitlam with everything in between being merely a place to get past - an annoyance.
I want to point and laugh at the poster - it's just as well I don't know who they are.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Where did Mini Yaletown move? I googled and there's a mini on W. 5th. Was that always there, or did Mini Yaletown relocate and open this as a new location?
They moved to the West 5th location.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Pane E Fromaggio. Dunbar Vacuum. Dentry’s Irish Grill, Jethro’s Fine Grub. Athene’s Greek Restaurant. Moderne Burger. Semperviva Yoga. Dunbar Produce. House of Chains. La Provence. Calhoun’s. Café Katzenjammer’s.

Bean Brothers Coffee. Mayhew Sherwood Flowers. Trafalgar’s Bistro. Senova Restaurant. Dunbar Lumber. SKP Restaurant. Wonderland Dollar Store. Plum Clothing. The Bike Gallery. Rothman and Co. Linens. La Patisserie Bordeaux.

Dunbar Vacuum the owner retired and the building is coming down as is the building where Jethro's was ditto Dunbar Produce - Moderne Burger building gone but new location.

House of Chain (sic) and Senova just weren't well run at all-Dunbar Lumber's building came down they wanted to move online but their customers wouldn't let them they now have a thriving location on Arbutus St.

I could go on & on & on about changes I've lived on the West Side all my adult life the worst thing to happen was what gov't let happen skyrocketing property values and houses bought with dirty money then used as bank accounts-20,000 empty homes is gonna hurt but no one dares talk about it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:53 AM

This can be taken another way:

Quote:
Separate from such policy issues, Eby emphasized Point Grey Village has been directly impacted by the dramatic expansion of housing on the UBC campus, particularly at Wesbrook Village. It now has a large supermarket and many shops, which are drawing students, staff and faculty away from surrounding neighbourhoods.
... which are now retaining their own residents in their own neighbourhoods at UBC.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
This can be taken another way:

... which are now retaining their own residents in their own neighbourhoods at UBC.
However, there also used to be a lot of basement suite student accommodation in Point Grey when the homes were own by "regular folks". Now that many have become new multimillion dollar mansions, the owners obviously don't need a basement tenant to help out with the bills.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 9:41 PM
David

Quote:
That Save-on-Foods may also have been a "bulk" store as well.
Remember when they used to have book stores, too?
As a kid growing up in 80s/90s Port Coquitlam, going to the Save-On at Pinetree Village always felt like a big adventure, because it was so much bigger than our tiny former-Overwaitea on Prairie Ave., and I loved the huge bulk food section and the giant book section.

Additionally, I remember the Safeway at Sunwood Square was originally called a Safeway Superstore when it first opened, with the traditional Safeway logo and the word "Superstore" in classic early-90s neon cursive font.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
As a kid growing up in 80s/90s Port Coquitlam, going to the Save-On at Pinetree Village always felt like a big adventure, because it was so much bigger than our tiny former-Overwaitea on Prairie Ave., and I loved the huge bulk food section and the giant book section.

Additionally, I remember the Safeway at Sunwood Square was originally called a Safeway Superstore when it first opened, with the traditional Safeway logo and the word "Superstore" in classic early-90s neon cursive font.
You can see some pictures of the Safeway when it initially opened here: https://www.millenniumdevelopment.com/sunwood.php

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 1:24 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
You can see some pictures of the Safeway when it initially opened here: https://www.millenniumdevelopment.com/sunwood.php

Thanks! Those pictures brought back a lot of memories. I remember that Toy City being Consumers Distributors.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:45 AM

I remember that being consumers too. I think I can ever recall going to that Safeway once and only cause I had a gift certificate to use and was in that area and was curious why it was so big.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:51 AM

I went to the Art Knapp Sunday, it's still open with a few things to sell, lots of planters if you're interested. Everything is 70% off now, even if the stickers or tags don't say it.

It's kinda weird cause they have already demolished the outside area where the outdoor plants etc were.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I missed that. Thanks! I guess Robson/Seymour is more central.
I saw that address in the original press release and was very surprised at the choice given there is almost zero retail in that area that would match well with a boutique car brand.

It would have been more ideal to put this within spitting distance of either of the tesla stores in Vancouver as well as other dealerships given they could benefit from some cross shop.

Sales only is just not a profitable venture so that's why I am assuming they are going for a less than desirable location, similar with the odd small location in park royal. If the OEM owned the store it would be a different discussion.

Notably Audi has a screen running in a location on robson across from london drugs - i have heard grumblings of an etron boutique but not sure if that is more than just an advertising pop up in those CRU's that seem to be saleproof.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
populations....[/I]

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...st-side-part-1
This is all result of refusing to increase density. I live at UBC and Save on Foods is always packed full of people.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 6:17 PM

In addition to above, H-Mart double in size recently. Also Lelem Village will have it’s commercial component built in with retail.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:35 PM

From the Sun article: the Dentry’s Irish Gril is being converted into a 26 child daycare

https://shapeyourcity.ca/4450-w-10-ave

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy