HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Cool.
Wonder if that's because the corner (Pinetree Square) will be up for redevelopment soon?
It's owned by Choice Properties REIT. They seem to be still trying to do something with their other Coquitlam property:

Quote:
434-455 North Rd., Coquitlam, BC
The approximately seven acre site is in the City of Coquitlam in the Greater Vancouver Area. The site is well located and transit oriented, in close proximity to Lougheed Town Centre Station on the Vancouver SkyTrain system. The current redevelopment plans contemplate a mixed-use project with a focus on high density residential and retail at grade.

The site was approved for a transit oriented, mixed use development through the City of Coquitlam’s Official Community Plan and Choice Properties is currently in design discussions with the City in preparation of making a formal Development Permit
Application.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:52 AM

That's interesting.
Choice Properties REIT is the Loblaws spin-out.

Maybe a Loblaws brand will move into the former Save-on-Foods.
T&T is at Coquitlam Centre and Superstore is at Westwood Mall.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:30 AM

I don't know how much space your average T&T takes up, but the space in Coquitlam Centre seems quite small. It might make sense for them to move over, but being right beside Walmart is probably considered to be some pretty premium space. It's too small for Superstore.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:46 AM

The Coquitlam Centre T&T is currently closed due to Covid cases amongst the staff.

I always found that Save on Foods store way too big, there is a lot of empty space and they fill a lot of the store with crap you don't find in most Save On Stores, like a jewelry section, and a large gift section, and a book section. If you forget an item and have to walk back it such a long walk.

The Safeway store was even bigger, wasn't it? Are they going to take the whole space?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I always found that Save on Foods store way too big, there is a lot of empty space and they fill a lot of the store with crap you don't find in most Save On Stores, like a jewelry section, and a large gift section, and a book section. If you forget an item and have to walk back it such a long walk.
That Save-on-Foods may also have been a "bulk" store as well.
Remember when they used to have book stores, too?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:53 AM

The current SOF building space is actually 84k sq ft, but it's listed as 20k-84k, so they may end up splitting it up. I checked the leasing site for Sunwood Square, and they appear to be taking the whole thing at 72k sq ft: https://sunwoodsquare.com/leasing/

So it's about 10% smaller, but as SpongeG mentioned, it's an overly large store with odd things inside it like jewelry, had a bookstore there as well back in the 90s, etc.

One big advantage with this location vs the old one is that there are more opportunities for external access.. for example, the purpose built Port Coquitlam store has drive-thru access for pharmacy pickup and grocery orders. I could see such services being offered at the secondary entrance closer to Westwood, or perhaps new windows being installed along the Westwood side of the building. The fencing on the site is fairly significant, so I think they're planning on some exterior changes more significant than a couple of new signs.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 9:39 AM

Some of the new Save On Foods are expanding their deli and take away meal options; for example, look the new Lynn Valley store, which has a coffee bar, a olive bar, a wing bar, poké bar, and a Mexican taquería grill.

Also, as Save On Foods is expanding their online shopping capability, I would expect the Sunwood Square location to be the new hub for online shopping for the tri-Cities region, and thus would have purpose-built space allocated for online shopping operations. Right now, I believe the Grandview store handles the bulk of the online shopping operations, based upon the number of Save On vans that are regularly seen there loading up totes, and the fact that they've also taken up both half the front of the store, and a large chunk of the middle of the store to handle overflow for online shopping.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:53 AM

Pretty soon they'll have to do on-line shopping from a warehouse!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:37 AM

I find it really weird just how differently the two IKEA stores are dealing with Covid.

I went to the Richmond store today and stopped at the cafe, when you get there you have to wait till a staff member assigns you a table number which they do so by giving you a cart with the table number on it. And then you can go get food and then you go and sit down and when you are done you leave your tray and cart at the table and a staff member will clean up your table.

At the Coquitlam store at the cafe you just walk and grab a tray and order and pay and find any table you want and when done you have to clear your table yourself.

The Richmond store had different stickers and directions etc and table numbers on the tables, Coquitlam store had nothing like that. I wonder why that is.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Pretty soon they'll have to do on-line shopping from a warehouse!
I think Save On is the only grocery retailer that is exclusively doing their online shopping in house; I've worked for Save On as an online shopper in the past, and we were always considered to be Save On employees, not a third party.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
I find it really weird just how differently the two IKEA stores are dealing with Covid.

I went to the Richmond store today and stopped at the cafe, when you get there you have to wait till a staff member assigns you a table number which they do so by giving you a cart with the table number on it. And then you can go get food and then you go and sit down and when you are done you leave your tray and cart at the table and a staff member will clean up your table.

At the Coquitlam store at the cafe you just walk and grab a tray and order and pay and find any table you want and when done you have to clear your table yourself.

The Richmond store had different stickers and directions etc and table numbers on the tables, Coquitlam store had nothing like that. I wonder why that is.
At least Coquitlam has the cafe open again. I had been to that IKEA several times in August and September (as I had moved and needed various stuff), and the cafe was completely closed off each time I'd been. I had been to the Richmond store once in September as well and the cafe was open, though I didn't go in.

The last time I went to the Coquitlam store, I was quite disappointed with how crowded it was, and how many people were not wearing masks. The last two times I had been there they had run out of hand sanitizer at the entrance and I couldn't find any staff to notify, at least until I got to the checkout. I haven't been since, and I understand they closed entirely for a couple days a month or so ago due to a Covid case among the staff.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
I remember the old Save-on-Foods at Station Square was also built in the bulk foods era and had a massive warehouse section.
Something I've noticed about grocery stores here is that most of them have a bulk food section - whether it's Save-On-Foods, Safeway, or Real Canadian Superstore. Bulk food just isn't a thing at grocery stores in Ontario anymore, I remember the A&P and Loblaws I lived closest to in London had a bulk food section back in the early 90s but both stores eliminated them in the mid-late 90s, and I found even in Toronto those departments generally didn't exist. On the flip side, Bulk Barn and similar independent stores are a lot more common in Ontario than here.

I'm surprised at how few Bulk Barns there are here, even though they tend to have a much more extensive selection than most grocery store bulk departments. There are five Bulk Barns in Metro Vancouver (pop. ~2.4 million) with none located in all of Vancouver or Surrey, while the City of Toronto alone (pop. ~2.9 million) has 17 with numerous others in the rest of the GTA. I can understand Bulk Barn having less of a presence here because of grocery store bulk departments, but I've found the selection in those departments to be rather disappointing compared to what Bulk Barn has.

Not a criticism at all, just very curious about the market conditions here, that stuff interests me.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
....I'm surprised at how few Bulk Barns there are here, even though they tend to have a much more extensive selection than most grocery store bulk departments.....very curious about the market conditions here, that stuff interests me.
For most things Bulk Barn is the most expensive option compared to local independent operations; BB has all kinds of stuff for baking but apart from that I find their selection to be odd and somewhat irritating (sounds funny I know).

I do enjoy the Burke's Honey @ BB it's what I grew up on but again even with the regular discounts the price is nothing special.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:49 AM

I purchased shelving in July from the Coquitlam IKEA store via click and collect - pretty convenient except theydid not email me when it was actually ready - I waited and waited in the vicinity (Homesense) then finally went to the store - it was ready and there were no other customers - so wasted an hour for nothing.

Richmond (or both storess?) are odd as the returns desk closes a couple hours before the store closes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastEcho View Post
I think Save On is the only grocery retailer that is exclusively doing their online shopping in house; I've worked for Save On as an online shopper in the past, and we were always considered to be Save On employees, not a third party.
It must have something to do with suppliers and not having all of the merchansdise (dry goods, produce and meats) in any one warehouse.
That's all I can think of.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
At least Coquitlam has the cafe open again. I had been to that IKEA several times in August and September (as I had moved and needed various stuff), and the cafe was completely closed off each time I'd been. I had been to the Richmond store once in September as well and the cafe was open, though I didn't go in.

The last time I went to the Coquitlam store, I was quite disappointed with how crowded it was, and how many people were not wearing masks. The last two times I had been there they had run out of hand sanitizer at the entrance and I couldn't find any staff to notify, at least until I got to the checkout. I haven't been since, and I understand they closed entirely for a couple days a month or so ago due to a Covid case among the staff.
I've been to the IKEA in Richmond twice over the past 4 months. And I was very happy with how they setup the cafe. They now give you a preassigned trolley with a number that tells you wear you will sit. The tables are spread out. They also have a 30 min limit on eating time. You also are not supposed to remove your tray from the table.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:00 AM

From HBC Heritage twitter - 1979 Coquitlam Centre Bay ad:

https://twitter.com/HBCHeritage

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:47 AM

Enforcement of plastic shopping bag ban in Vancouver could be delayed until 2022
https://biv.com/article/2020/12/enfo...yed-until-2022

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:31 AM

Disappearing Starbucks outlets on Vancouver's West Side are part of the Seattle company's "bridge to the future"
by Charlie Smith on December 6th, 2020

This store in Point Grey Village is no longer serving java, much to the delight of other coffee vendors in the neighbourhood.
CHARLIE SMITH

It hasn't been an easy month for the many lovers of Starbucks coffee on Vancouver's West Side.

That's because several outlets have closed, including the spacious store on West 10th Avenue in Point Grey Village, which is photographed above.

Other West Side Starbucks stores have recently been shuttered in the 1700 block of West Broadway and in the 2200 and 2900 blocks of West 4th Avenue.

It's part of a two-year plan revealed in a Securities and Exchange Commission document on June 10.

At the time, the company announced that it expected to open a net total of 300 new stores in the fiscal year in the Americas, down from an original plan for 600.

"This repositioning will include the closure of up to 400 company-operated stores over the next 18 months in conjunction with the opening, over time, of a greater number of new, repositioned stores in different locations and with innovative store formats, yielding a U.S. portfolio that is optimized to enhance the customer experience, expand our retail presence and enable profitable growth for the future," Starbucks said.

Here was the kicker for Canadians: "In addition to the U.S. store repositioning described above, we will restructure our company-operated business in Canada over the next two years, with the potential of up to 200 additional stores being closed, with some of those stores being repositioned."

https://www.straight.com/finance/dis...Ir3Vk61aeuT0oI

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is that going into the old MINI Yaletown space?
Yes it is.

I don’t understand this move as the mini store which was a somewhat known brand (and is also moving towards EV) couldn’t make it work there. The sales model is similar to Tesla for polestar but this location is owned by the gain group out of Victoria. The yaletown location given the nature of the traffic there seems like massive risk especially for more or less a showroom. They probably would have been better off on Robison or Alberni but probably couldn’t justify the expense of the real estate.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Sungiven Foods is opening in Richmond on Bridgeport in the old Pier 1 location.

they are also opening in North Van at the old Pier 1 location.
Story on this:
https://www.richmond-news.com/local-...cation-3163976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy