HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #49961  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 7:00 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,011
^ Sigcho just stumbled into passing policies that happen to align with the pro-density crowd right now.

But that is short sighted. Many north sided Aldermen have been very supportive of large, market rate TOD projects in their neighborhoods over the past few years. No point in even asking Sigcho for permission to build one unless it was 100% low income housing or something of the sort.

It's only going to be a matter of time before Pilsen will move to a new phase where large scale new construction will be needed. These piddly little shacks and 2 flats just don't cut it. A new Alderman will be needed down the road.
__________________
Loving the flat-6
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49962  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 7:37 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,304
I agree with you about the need for denser housing... but I'm not sure a Waguespack type moderate alderman would actually allow TODs in Pilsen either.

In gentrified wards on the North Side it seems to be a crap shoot whether you get a good alderman (e.g. Matt Martin, Walter Burnett, Hopkins) or a bad one (e.g. Waguespack, Michele Smith).
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49963  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 10:56 PM
Toasty Joe Toasty Joe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago, IL
Posts: 331
Looks like Alderman Hopkins confirmed the Walgreens on North & Wells withdrew from the Moody/Fern Hill development (with David Adjaye)... source: Preservation Futures Twitter

I'm not thrilled to hear, as that corner deserves more than a 1 story "meh" structure, but maybe it will be developed with more density later down the line. Can certainly keep the facade for lobby/retail?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49964  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 1:40 AM
thegoatman thegoatman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Looks like Alderman Hopkins confirmed the Walgreens on North & Wells withdrew from the Moody/Fern Hill development (with David Adjaye)... source: Preservation Futures Twitter

I'm not thrilled to hear, as that corner deserves more than a 1 story "meh" structure, but maybe it will be developed with more density later down the line. Can certainly keep the facade for lobby/retail?
preservationists are cancer. NIMBY's in disguise. they're acting like that walgreens is the Hagia Sophia or something, it's a fucking one story walgreens with a parking garage, tear that shit down. That site is wayy to close to downtown, a tower should 100% be erected there.

Hoping the same faith for that walgreens in river north
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49965  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 5:00 AM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 5,940
I created another map for multi unit new construction permits but this time for all of 2020 and 2021. In total 593 buildings of which 308 of them were on vacant/surface lots. There are a bunch of the tear downs that are actually partially on vacant/surface lots. In total this accounts for at least 11,867 units. Not every single one of these have been built yet but a large percentage have or are currently under construction.

I'll probably modify this later to show difference in height (before and after). There's definitely some areas that have gotten taller - northside for example on some of the main streets like Halsted have seen some 1 and 2 story buildings demolished for 4 or 5 story buildings creating a more uniform streetscape in height which is nice.


https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...767413926&z=12
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49966  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 4:01 PM
Jibba's Avatar
Jibba Jibba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
preservationists are cancer. NIMBY's in disguise. they're acting like that walgreens is the Hagia Sophia or something, it's a fucking one story walgreens with a parking garage, tear that shit down. That site is wayy to close to downtown, a tower should 100% be erected there.

Hoping the same faith for that walgreens in river north
I don't know how much value PC actually places on this building; they may be wanting to position it as a bellwether for the preservation of contemporaneous buildings around the city. In any case, I don't imagine Walgreen's pulled out because of pressure from any preservationists.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49967  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 7:47 PM
thegoatman thegoatman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 135
43 Green in Bronzeville has begun construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49968  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 12:22 AM
thegoatman thegoatman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 135
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49969  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 12:23 AM
cityofneighborhoods cityofneighborhoods is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
43 Green in Bronzeville has begun construction.
That's great news.

With the 33 unit at 920 E. 43rd St and 48 unit at 4137-4159 S. Cottage Grove already under construction, it'll be a good bump in density. Also, noticed another 6 of the townhouses at 4444 S. Drexel (https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/44...home/177572455) are under construction behind the 6 that are just wrapping up construction fronting Drexel.

Hopefully, the Legacy District at 47th and Vincennes gets underway soon too
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49970  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 7:06 AM
Gedung Tinngi's Avatar
Gedung Tinngi Gedung Tinngi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
43 Green in Bronzeville has begun construction.
That's great news!
It's across the street from The Forum. I just played a benefit concert at the location to help raise funds for The Forum's renovations. Both of these projects will drastically inject energy into this historic corridor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49971  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 4:43 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New construction permit was issued for 2807 S Halsted St in Bridgeport for a new 30 unit + retail building. The site is currently a vacant lot and has been for at least 14 years. Generic looking building, but a nice potential uptick in density there at least.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/28...!4d-87.6460599

Wait. The developer/owner listed on the permit is named Jackie Chan?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49972  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 11:35 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,830
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/1/...rdable-housing

South Side church looks to develop hub for Black life

Rev. Byron Brazier, pastor of the Apostolic Church of God, and his son, J. Byron Brazier, have laid out a $600 million plan for the Woodlawn neighborhood.

By Cheyanne M. Daniels Updated Jan 10, 2022, 4:42pm CST

Quote:
Spanning eight acres of church-owned property near 63rd Street and Dorchester Avenue, the plan includes a technology center, a hotel, commercial business spaces, a theater and private residential buildings.

Also included is a vertical farm at Kenwood Avenue and 63rd Street, built atop a parking structure.

Quote:
If the zoning is changed, as Brazier hopes, the development could have up to 870 units, ranging in size from studios up to three bedrooms. Current zoning allows buildings up to 15 stories; Brazier wants the site rezoned to allow a building of up to 25 stories. That building would have a rooftop pool with views of the lake, he said.

Quote:
Though the definition of “affordable” rent varies, the Woodlawn Affordable Housing Initiative states a development with 100 units should have 15 available at $543 a month and another 15 units at $942 a month.

Brazier said the development is intended to attract higher-earning tenants, too.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49973  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 11:53 PM
Rizzo Rizzo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,038
It would be great if that parking lot become a large plaza for events. It would be framed nicely by all the development around it. The church parking could be decked and maybe connected by a skywalk.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49974  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 9:00 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,336
FYI a decent sized new construction project was just permitted and broke ground today (drove by and saw the excavator taking it's first bites) at 3001 W Cermak.

The building will be six apartments on top of two retail spaces with a 9 car garage in back.

Thought this forum would find that interesting given the conversation about new construction in places like Tri Taylor that we were having. I'm excited about it because this is one of the few missing teeth between Kedzie and Rockwell on Cermak. It's a corner too so just thatich better, hopefully it's not ass ugly.
__________________
Real Estate Bubble 2.0 in full effect:

Reddit.com/r/REbubble
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49975  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 10:32 PM
untitledreality untitledreality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/1/...rdable-housing

South Side church looks to develop hub for Black life

Rev. Byron Brazier, pastor of the Apostolic Church of God, and his son, J. Byron Brazier, have laid out a $600 million plan for the Woodlawn neighborhood
If it was anyone other then these guys I would wish them good luck.

Build a bunker of a church, lobby for the removal of the adjacent L, purchase and sit on property for decades, then try to cash in after private capital starts flowing in with some bogus wish list? Someone else please.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49976  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 11:20 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
FYI a decent sized new construction project was just permitted and broke ground today (drove by and saw the excavator taking it's first bites) at 3001 W Cermak.

The building will be six apartments on top of two retail spaces with a 9 car garage in back.

Thought this forum would find that interesting given the conversation about new construction in places like Tri Taylor that we were having. I'm excited about it because this is one of the few missing teeth between Kedzie and Rockwell on Cermak. It's a corner too so just thatich better, hopefully it's not ass ugly.
thats great to hear, although not too optimistic on the design front after a quick glance at the architect's portfolio
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49977  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 11:21 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
If it was anyone other then these guys I would wish them good luck.

Build a bunker of a church, lobby for the removal of the adjacent L, purchase and sit on property for decades, then try to cash in after private capital starts flowing in with some bogus wish list? Someone else please.

Yup. The Braziers are real POS's. The city had to forfeit hundreds of millions of dollars back to the feds for the demolition of brand new elevated track. An absolute and utter waste. That leg of the Green Line would have been the perfect transit connection for the Obama Library and the expanding UC campus south of the Midway.

So stupid and short sighted.
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49978  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:19 PM
thegoatman thegoatman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 135
Can anyone tell me why that Mcdonalds on Chicago ave hasn't been bought and demolished? that location is probably the biggest crime magnet shithole mcdonalds in chicago and its a waste of space on prime real estate, a fucking drive thru right next to the entrance of a subway stop. One chicago is right across the street, a skyscraper should be there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49979  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:25 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is online now
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Can anyone tell me why that Mcdonalds on Chicago ave hasn't been bought and demolished? that location is probably the biggest crime magnet shithole mcdonalds in chicago and its a waste of space on prime real estate, a fucking drive thru right next to the entrance of a subway stop. One chicago is right across the street, a skyscraper should be there.
I believe that's a corporate-owned store, not a franchisee (I may be incorrect, though). I suspect McD's will sit on that until they get a ridiculously high offer for the land. But you're right, that particular one is absolute garbage.
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49980  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 7:31 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Can anyone tell me why that Mcdonalds on Chicago ave hasn't been bought and demolished? that location is probably the biggest crime magnet shithole mcdonalds in chicago and its a waste of space on prime real estate, a fucking drive thru right next to the entrance of a subway stop. One chicago is right across the street, a skyscraper should be there.
I especially love their little "park" that no one can use.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.