HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:53 PM

I'd imagine this kind of developent will eventually happen with the lot across the street with the Wheatsville Co-op and even the Target. What a magnificent gateway to the city that will be entering Lamar Blvd.

I appreciate focus of the design being on the greenbelt, but I hope they don't too inward from Lamar like the Crestview development. The master plan indicated the parking garage for one of the apartment buildings would be exposed to Lamar. Hopefuolly that'll change so apartments will wrap that side of the building too.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:08 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Barton Creek Mall should get this kind of treatment.
I'd rather leave Barton Creek alone. Not that I'm a fan. I've maybe been there a handful of times in 10 years even though it was "our mall" growing up, but I don't think of it as a good spot for density. We talk about hoping these types of developments won't be too inward or cut off from the city, but doing that at Barton Creek would pretty much create an urban island surrounded by nothing, which means connectivity would be an issue. And so, there would still be car trips in and out of there. This is a situation where more density really would lead to more traffic on both 360 and Mopac. I really think 360 should be off limits to high density. One thing I hold up to a neighborhood or area of town to consider how connected it is and non-car oriented is can I get there on my bike without having to worry about ending up on the evening news. And even as bike minded and willing to try to some hairy rides, I just don't feel like that's a part of town I care to ride in. The hills and long distances between anything of convenience just doesn't make sense to try it. And having said that, I'm not even wishing I could.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:04 PM

I know it will never happen but they should raze the mall and build a pro sports stadium there cause the parking is already complete. Whatever type is built they could incorporate bars and restaurants and even a hotel. Something needs to be done eventually because the land is far too valuable. And yes I know traffic would be a nightmare but you have good arteries leading to the location.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:22 PM

New presentation on the Brodie Oaks PUD for the next council work session.

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...210323-wrk.htm

Interesting tidbit, Austin Fire wants 5 acres given to them for a new fire station.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:55 PM

Soil testing at the corner of S. Lamar and Lamar Square this morning.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:55 PM

And they JUST reopened that convenience store after 2 years of remodeling lol

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 7:02 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
And they JUST reopened that convenience store after 2 years of remodeling lol
Are we sure this isn't related to the 2016 mobility bond? Ramen Tatsuya is *still* renovating the old Backbeat, and unless someone has purchased the furniture store+Tatsuya+Saxon I don't see it being a very usable parcel.

None of those blocks are very "deep" given Lamar Sq is pretty close.

Also, real talk. I wish someone would give the owners a thesaurus. Every sign on the new location just says "exotic" Like, I don't want an exotic protein bar, thanks.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
New presentation on the Brodie Oaks PUD for the next council work session.

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...210323-wrk.htm

Interesting tidbit, Austin Fire wants 5 acres given to them for a new fire station.
Updated with a presentation from the developers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:35 PM
Resident Moron

The city needs to go after JE Dunn (Sp?) and Juul over the building at Lamar and Hether. They clearly hit some kind of water table during construction (I assume this being one of the few sub-grade garages in the area is a likely cause) and their solution was to pump the water through a large pipe into the street that is pretty constantly flowing and it is making that intersection incredibly dangerous. Its basically completely destroyed the asphalt to the point of multiple massive potholes that you could lose a small car in and we're lucky that the damage is relegated to Hether and not the Southbound Lamar lanes.

The best part if the city has hot patched the intersection to fill the giant holes twice this week (the hot patch of course lasts *days* given its nature with constantly flowing water) and I keep seeing the city leak detection squad at the site, but of course its not their problem because its not a leak in the water system.

This is the exact kind of shit that NIMBYs are going to weaponize against density on Lamar as its a case of a developer who clearly said "fuck it" when they hit a problem and solved their issue at the expense of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
The city needs to go after JE Dunn (Sp?) and Juul over the building at Lamar and Hether. They clearly hit some kind of water table during construction (I assume this being one of the few sub-grade garages in the area is a likely cause) and their solution was to pump the water through a large pipe into the street that is pretty constantly flowing and it is making that intersection incredibly dangerous. Its basically completely destroyed the asphalt to the point of multiple massive potholes that you could lose a small car in and we're lucky that the damage is relegated to Hether and not the Southbound Lamar lanes.

The best part if the city has hot patched the intersection to fill the giant holes twice this week (the hot patch of course lasts *days* given its nature with constantly flowing water) and I keep seeing the city leak detection squad at the site, but of course its not their problem because its not a leak in the water system.

This is the exact kind of shit that NIMBYs are going to weaponize against density on Lamar as its a case of a developer who clearly said "fuck it" when they hit a problem and solved their issue at the expense of the neighborhood.
Actually Sackman Enterprises developed that building, which is called 2010 SoLa or 2010 South Lamar. They are the same developer that built 70 Rainey and got sued for shoddy construction: https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...c-cc41fe511de6 There seems to be a pattern here.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

I live right off Hether. ZNA, Ann Kitchen, and the developer all seem to be working together on a solution to some degree.

As of now, they are going to repave the road, but seem to be kicking to can down the road on actually fixing the leak / run off.

Annoyingly, it seems to be the city stalling on the proposed solution of tying the water table leak to a storm drain. But I'm not part of ZNA or privy to the meetings.. I just see random emails circulated through the hood.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:12 AM

1515 S. Lamar Blvd

UPDATE...

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:15 AM

1508 S. Lamar Blvd

Update...

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:19 AM

1615 S. Lamar Blvd[IMG]

Next up for development? It’s a small property. Demo happened last week...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J78704 View Post
1515 S. Lamar Blvd

UPDATE...
This one is taking FOREVER

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:20 PM

500-unit South Lamar Project fails to get Planning Commission's Support

Quote:
Since the Planning Commission has opposed Multifamily Residence-Highest Density (MF-6) zoning for a 500-unit apartment project at 2700 S. Lamar Blvd., the rezoning will go before Council next month without the commission’s recommendation.

The developer for the project hopes to rezone several lots with various commercial, multifamily and vertical mixed-use zoning to MF-6, which would allow buildings up to 90 feet in height. The additional height would allow the developer to voluntarily commit 50 income-restricted units at 60 percent median family income. City staffers support the MF-6 zoning. The Zilker Neighborhood Association is opposed.

Whellan told the Austin Monitor that even without a Planning Commission recommendation, plans haven’t changed; the applicant will still seek MF-6 zoning at City Council’s next meeting on July 29. Whellan said the project is in line with “multiple policies that Council has unanimously passed over the last five years” in support of “the type of residential density on the transit corridors that this would provide, especially with on-site income-restricted, affordable units.”

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:53 PM
Resident Moron

The strange thing about that development is they took up the entire block but *not* the Goodwill site.

Anyway, everything there that isn't gordoughs is in disrepair or underused. If rumors are to believed even the owners there are letting things fall apart and just patching it. Seems like everyone on the block is ready to get moved out.

I'm all for building this, but the city needs to fix the intersection with pilons or something to prevent errant left turns - Bell (or whatever it is) has so many idiots in the left-turn lane to get to Menchaca just blocking the entire light-cycle trying to turn into the Lamar entrance of that development. I know the mobility bond is going to eventually fix S. Lamar in general with turn-arounds and whatnot, but they need some quick-fixes in the short-term for very obvious oncoming traffic snarls.

Also, I enjoy that one hold-out on Skyway Circle that didn't sell :lol

Last edited by StoOgE; Jun 22, 2021 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:51 PM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 6:04 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Woah, is that one happening? Wish there was some ground floor retail, but the actual address puts it right across from Bird's on the parking lot there. Do love his design in general ...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 6:27 PM
Resident Moron

That explains why Sunup closed.

Also, street parking in front of my house intensifies for BSL :p

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin