HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada still see the British Monarch as its own?
Continue to recognize the Monarchy 72 39.13%
Get rid of it 97 52.72%
Split Royal Family to reign Commonwealth members 15 8.15%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
"Now listeners, I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay. He’s married, so he wishes to remain anonymous. I shall only be using his Christian name. I’m talking to Domingo in Little Oakley. No? He’s gone. That’s a pity. Marvellous little tapas bar there."

Tell you what, I'll record myself on my phone the next time I have a conversation with a true blue Canucklehead so that you can watch and learn how to banter with the natives.
One of Alan's many 'funny stories'. Make sure you have a few 'ladyboys' before you talk to some cradle Canadians.

https://www.101soundboards.com/board...per-soundboard

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskACanadia...nse_of_banter/ found this on Reddit so it must be true.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
One of Alan's many 'funny stories'. Make sure you have a few 'ladyboys' before you talk to some cradle Canadians.

https://www.101soundboards.com/board...per-soundboard

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskACanadia...nse_of_banter/ found this on Reddit so it must be true.
Given those definitions, I'd never "banter" with someone I didn't know well. The Reddit thread was interesting... a few viewpoints expressed but the overall jist I agree with... most Canadians try not to offend and so "banter" (as it pertains to every-day-situations with strangers) isn't something they'd dare try.

We're too "well behaved" in that department. Now "chirping"...

See: LetterKenny

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There hasn't been a thread yet where Proof Sheet couldn't find a way to insert a reference to this Alan Partridge guy!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There hasn't been a thread yet where Proof Sheet couldn't find a way to insert a reference to this Alan Partridge guy!
All threads lead to Alan or Milton. Other than Detectorists I haven't watched much 'comedy' on TV lately and Alan always makes me laugh..he is so cringeworthy and unaware of how he is perceived.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
"Now listeners, I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay. He’s married, so he wishes to remain anonymous. I shall only be using his Christian name. I’m talking to Domingo in Little Oakley. No? He’s gone. That’s a pity. Marvellous little tapas bar there."

Tell you what, I'll record myself on my phone the next time I have a conversation with a true blue Canucklehead so that you can watch and learn how to banter with the natives.
I was born in Canada and so were both of my parents and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 4:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I would argue that accent works in Canada the way it does most everywhere else: marks you as either an insider or an outsider. It's really the UK that takes class to the next level. Is there anywhere else like it?

If I hear a standard Canadian accent indicating that someone grew up here, then I know I can engage in certain types of banter that I can't otherwise. I've been caught out a couple times, though. Meaning that sometimes paths cross, and an immigrant with whom I'm acquainted and have cheery conversations will see how much more freely and not altogether understandably I interact with born-and-raised Canucks, and I can't help but detect a faint glimmer of disappointment when that happens.

It's not a rigid and all-encompassing "you'll never really be Japanese" dynamic, but it's still there to some degree.
I can definitely see that happening to a lot of people.

It doesn't really happen to me because I am often subtly "quizzing" people to see what registers with them culturally. So I will drop homegrown references all the time when speaking with someone I know reasonably well. (As such no one who isn't originally "from here" would necessarily think I am filtering my conversation due to them not qualifying for in-group status.)

Been doing this for decades. I even did it when I lived outside Quebec.

It's only happened once or twice that someone actually picked up on it. Even so it was just a bit of suspicion as opposed to "aha! gotcha! you're testing me!".

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 5:17 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
All threads lead to Alan or Milton. Other than Detectorists I haven't watched much 'comedy' on TV lately and Alan always makes me laugh..he is so cringeworthy and unaware of how he is perceived.
For those who enjoy squirming with exquisite schadenfreude, Alan Partridge is the gold standard. And Detectorists is simply one of the greatest television shows ever made.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada