HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 7:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Hmm, does this mean that Lakeview is slowly winding up?:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...575731522.html
just loads a blank page for me weird

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 6:48 PM

Did they move the construction camera from Hydro building to TNS 1? It's almost the same angle as Grump takes all his pictures but a few floors up. But it looks like the last update was sometime in November

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 8:23 PM

Next phase of True North Square development delayed

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:32 PM

So that would mean they plan to get started sometime later this year on Sutton Place. Wawanesa occupancy in 2023, Sutton Place 2024. Actually pretty decent news.

Sidebar. My goodness how terrible is Global News. They do the news from Vancouver IIRC. Here let me read some words I have absolutely zero context on what it means. "True North Square is two fifths complete." Wow rocket science.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So that would mean they plan to get started sometime this year on Sutton Place.

Sidebar. My goodness how terrible is Global News. They do the news from Vancouver IIRC. Here let me read some words I have absolutely zero context on what it means. "True North Square is two fifths complete." Wow rocket science.
I thought Global News was done here? I've seen the anchor Lisa Dutton MCing charity events around town? Wasn't it just the national edition done in Vancouver? It is pretty weak though. Although CITY-TV is even worse.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:36 PM

I haven't paid attention to Global News. But they were doing our local news broadcast from Vancouver back when they shutdown the Winnipeg studio. Which seems like exactly whatever that video was. Someone from out of town reading the script.

I don't watch any of the news broadcast. Especially since Gord Leclerc was let go from CTV.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I haven't paid attention to Global News. But they were doing our local news broadcast from Vancouver. Which seems like exactly whatever that video was. Someone from out of town reading the script.
I never really watch Global News but the place names are probably the tell... how do they say Lagimodiere, Des Meurons, Notre Dame, etc.

That said, I did catch a few moments of the late Global News sports segment with Russ Hobson hosting and they cover damn near everything, there were even high school hockey highlights.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 11:56 PM

Lisa Dutton does the newscasts for Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon out of the Winnipeg studio. The weather guy chimes in from Saskatoon. All the weekend newscasts are centralized out of Toronto. The state of local tv news in Winnipeg is truly pathetic.. all bare bones productions.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:41 AM

That has been a problem with the news industry for years. Reporters usually start at some really small market radio or TV station when they graduate from Creative Communications at RRC Polytech or one of the other Canadian collages and they all try to move up to the next bigger market somewhere else in Canada.

For example you get a reporter that has taken a job in Winnipeg from some other area reporting that something happened on Munroe Ave in Elmwood because they don't know the civic dividing line is a few blocks south at Harbison.

Regarding CTV the staff are local, the master control/production of the news is done from the main CTV control in Toronto (you have to love Fibre optic systems for real time control from far away).

You may or may not remember a number of years ago CTV had a bomb threat just before 6pm and the news still was live but not as polished, It was done on the street using the TSN fibre lines from the MTS Center to CTV master control and one or two hand held news camera's.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Lisa Dutton does the newscasts for Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon out of the Winnipeg studio. The weather guy chimes in from Saskatoon. All the weekend newscasts are centralized out of Toronto. The state of local tv news in Winnipeg is truly pathetic.. all bare bones productions.
I watch Global National pretty much every night. Good quality news.

Local stuff is thin and they need to do more. When they started doing weekend news with a Winnipeg background I called them out on it. I don't know if it was me but they stopped doing that almost immediately.

Imagine if CEO's at this day and time didn't earn 600 million dollars. What a world it would be.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:49 PM

I remember the last decent days of local news when we had Diana Swain as the anchor of the local CBC news. They even had fulltime arts and sports anchors! Around then, CTV had two news anchors, two weather anchors, and a sports anchor! Now the desk is almost empty. It's sad cause when you catch a glimpse of the news on a small-market channel from the US, they still have a full slate of on-air staff.. for a city like Spokane or Fargo.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
That has been a problem with the news industry for years. Reporters usually start at some really small market radio or TV station when they graduate from Creative Communications at RRC Polytech or one of the other Canadian collages and they all try to move up to the next bigger market somewhere else in Canada.

For example you get a reporter that has taken a job in Winnipeg from some other area reporting that something happened on Munroe Ave in Elmwood because they don't know the civic dividing line is a few blocks south at Harbison.

Regarding CTV the staff are local, the master control/production of the news is done from the main CTV control in Toronto (you have to love Fibre optic systems for real time control from far away).

You may or may not remember a number of years ago CTV had a bomb threat just before 6pm and the news still was live but not as polished, It was done on the street using the TSN fibre lines from the MTS Center to CTV master control and one or two hand held news camera's.
I’ve lived in Winnipeg for practically all my life and have no clue what you’re talking about in regards to Munroe and civic dividing lines.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 4:48 PM

Because it doesnt. Munroe is in East Kildonan.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Because it doesnt. Munroe is in East Kildonan.
The problem is that most people don't even seem to know what neighbourhood they live in, nevermind what the others are. Most people seem to have some mixed idea of neighbourhoods, wards, communities, and ridings.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
The problem is that most people don't even seem to know what neighbourhood they live in, nevermind what the others are. Most people seem to have some mixed idea of neighbourhoods, wards, communities, and ridings.
I guess it was clear cut in the pre-unicity era when the municipal boundaries were pretty clearly delineated. But now it's all one big City of Winnipeg and a lot of younger people and people who moved here don't really know where one area ends and the other one begins.

It's especially annoying when the news media, which should know better, makes super-basic mistakes. You quite often see it when there's a crime report and basically half the city becomes the North End... anywhere something bad happens is the "North End". e.g. murder at Arlington and William = the North End, robbery at Leila and Jefferson = the North End, assault at Salter and Logan = the North End, etc.

Last edited by esquire; Mar 10, 2022 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 10:58 PM

I just shrug it off as most people are dumb to a lot of things.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:06 PM
keep the good times going

On the ground update:

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 6:03 PM
What could go wrong?

At least Sutton Hotels are getting some crane rental income from PCL.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
At least Sutton Hotels are getting some crane rental income from PCL.
I was down there the other day hauling. And looking at the Sutton towers base and had to wonder what the weather has done to the exposed rebar sticking out of the column's. Water will get into anything and the freeze thaw cycle cannot be good on those. And the rusting that is probably taking place inside them.

I'm sure you can cut them back if damage was severe but I would have thought that they'd have covered all that explosed rebar seeing the site has been on idle for what ? 2 years or more ?

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 1:41 AM

Following some unexpected delays, timelines have been pushed back (again) and Sutton plans to resume construction later this year. Completion is not expected until 2025 or 2026.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan