HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I have a one of those hidden pleasures for Manchu Wok... Feel like crap 2 hours later, but I like it haha, once in a while.
The black peppered pork that shows up once every couple of months is quite good actually.

Okay, back to TNS - just give us the details already!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:52 PM

For weeks, today, Feb 23rd was said to be the day of the TNS Unveil to the media and public.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:02 PM
BANNED

I was just told it SHOULD be tomorrow.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:52 PM

I heard stories that 201 Portage has had to cut their lease rates to land tenants. The story I heard is that one company wanted more space and it was cheaper to move from a class B building into 201 Portage then add the space in the current building. That would be before TDS leaves...

The other side I would worry about with TNS is TDS isn't going to be the only company moving out of existing space.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:12 PM

Well since there's nothing official coming out today. Excavation work continues along the north edge of the site. Working there way along from east to west. Piling work for shoring continuing along the east sidewalk. Looks like they're almost to the church now (south property line). So shoring piling complete along the north, east and some of the west edge of site.

The construction fencing looks to be snazzied up as well. They've got the blue wrap all the way around the site now. PCL has big white flags on top of the two storey tall wooden posts they've built. Wasn't quite sure what those were for earlier.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:33 PM
Aspiring.

I'm loving all the brouhaha associated with the site. I hope the renders live up to the hype.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:35 PM
BANNED

I am sure Selinger has a plan to help fill all the vacant office space downtown.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I heard stories that 201 Portage has had to cut their lease rates to land tenants. The story I heard is that one company wanted more space and it was cheaper to move from a class B building into 201 Portage then add the space in the current building. That would be before TDS leaves...

The other side I would worry about with TNS is TDS isn't going to be the only company moving out of existing space.
I'm sure they've know about the TDS situation for quite a while now and have been adjusting their lease rates accordingly.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

Lots moving I would think. I forget the exact sq. ft. office space in TNS, but 19 stories plus 9 stories is a lot of space to fill. The domino effect could be huge creating gaps of vacancies all over.

Other than Hydro Bldg which was spoken for with tenants, what was the last significant office building built in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:58 PM

201 Portage would be the last major one downtown, aside from Hydro as you've mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:05 PM

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/702206970032320512
Bartley Kives
‏@bkives
The True North Square announcement will take place 10 a.m. on Wednesday, at MTS Centre. #breakingnews

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:08 PM
BANNED

^^Great

Can anyone with knowledge on this chime in: if I have an office building with significant vacancies, is it feasible to convert some floors into residential? I am not familiar with costs, thus ROI. Drew?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
201 Portage would be the last major one downtown, aside from Hydro as you've mentioned.
200 Graham followed a year or two later, although it's obviously a lot smaller than 201 Portage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
^^Great

Can anyone with knowledge on this chime in: if I have an office building with significant vacancies, is it feasible to convert some floors into residential? I am not familiar with costs, thus ROI. Drew?
Are you thinking of 201 Portage? It would be an ominous sign if our tallest office tower gave up and started turning itself into residential condos... although I'd love to live there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:50 PM
BANNED

I am not thinking of 201 Portage; rather other office buildings all over downtown with plenty of vacancies. 423 Main (CWB Building) was renovated recently, and it has a lot of vacant space. I think it would be cool to live in the space. I believe 433 Main has a lot of space too, as well as the Paris Building.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I am not thinking of 201 Portage; rather other office buildings all over downtown with plenty of vacancies. 423 Main (CWB Building) was renovated recently, and it has a lot of vacant space. I think it would be cool to live in the space.
Yeah, that's a possibility. I always thought the Kensington Building would also be well suited to residential given that for whatever reason, office tenants seem to hate its narrow floorplates.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Yes, that one too. I think it is finally fully occupied now. Regarding the Paris Building, I wish the owner would rip out the acoustical ceiling and expose the beautiful high ceilings.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, that one too. I think it is finally fully occupied now.
Really? The Kensington Building? That's shocking. It would be nice if they could fill their main floor space... ever since the last bank or trust company left there in the 90s, it has alternated between various random government/quasi-governmental agencies and being vacant. Kind of sad given the prominent location it occupies.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:15 PM
BANNED

I didn't see the space on Colliers' website. I know it is a couple of blocks away, but I wonder if TNS (and Glasshouse) will result in the redevelopment of 335 Donald.

Edit: I see the main floor of the Kensington building being advertised on Spacelist.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
https://twitter.com/bkives/status/702206970032320512
Bartley Kives
‏@bkives
The True North Square announcement will take place 10 a.m. on Wednesday, at MTS Centre. #breakingnews
Coincidentally to be a join Presser to announce the Ladd trade

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Coincidentally to be a join Presser to announce the Ladd trade
Andrew Ladd Traded to Thompson Dorfman Sweatman for Tax Lawyer, Insurance Defence Litigator and Real Estate Paralegal?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan