HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 2:57 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A few from the past week or so.

Adelaide Oyster House, corner of Adelaide and Water Streets.

Cod taco.

Scallop salad.

Korean wings.

Pork taco.

Guacamole.

Spicy tuna taco.

East coast oysters (2), West coast oyster (1). East is softer, saltier. West is meatier, fresher.

Lettuce wrap.

Squid.

I forgot to take a picture of dessert (it actually wasn't that good to any of our tastes. Very dry... but maybe that's what it's supposed to be?)

RELISH Gourmet Burgers - Waldegrave Street, corner with Water.

It's only a block from Fortis Place.

Newfoundland Chocolate Company, on Duckworth Street, near Pilot's Hill.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 13, 2016 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:31 AM

Yummy !

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 5:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Piatto is our best downtown pizzeria, one of the only ones in Canada certified by whatever that Neapolitan organization is. They recently opened a second location in the city (and several across the Maritimes, though a while ago for those). J. and I went to check out downtown pizza in the suburbs.

It's definitely a step up from the Canadian Tire Garden Centre that used to occupy the space.

Before:

We split the Stephanie and the Greca.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 13, 2016 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 3:11 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Shanghai is the birthplace of the xiaolongbao; a steamed dumpling prepared in bamboo baskets, and there are hundreds of different places to find them in the city, all ranging in quality and price. The best local xiaolongbao in my book? Ling Long Feng (LLF). It's a bit of an institution in the city, and they finally opened a second location in a mall nearby my place (all good restaurants in Shanghai have at least one of their restaurants in a mall). The dumplings are delicious. The pork melts in your mouth, and the fatty soup inside is luxurious (for lack of a better word). It's the consistency and price that make LLF such a wonderful place to get the real deal; 13.5RMB/$2.60 for ten. It's probably the best bang for your buck in the city.

xiaolongbao 1 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

xiaolongbao 2 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

xiaolongbao 3 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

xiaolongbao 5 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 5:56 PM

Better than DTF?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Better than DTF?

Are you talking about Ding Tai Fung Shanghai Dim Sum? That's the only place my Chinese friends go to for dumplings. I've heard there is an almost comparable place that's opened up in Chinatown that I need the name for. Getting up to Markham is a pain in the ass.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 6:51 PM

No, Din Tai Fung is a Michelin Star awarded xiaolongbao restaurant out of Taiwan I believe. Best I've ever had. There are a couple in the states, including Seattle, but they have yet to venture north of the border.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
No, Din Tai Fung is a Michelin Star awarded xiaolongbao restaurant out of Taiwan I believe. Best I've ever had. There are a couple in the states, including Seattle, but they have yet to venture north of the border.
Ah ok, funny that the best rated Dim Sum place in the GTA is also DTF.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Better than DTF?
No, it's not. DTF is the gold standard. I probably should have been more explicit in my wording, but this is my favourite local dumpling restaurant (DTF being Taiwanese).

I should probably do DTF for this thread. There are close to a dozen in SH now, and every time I go, I'm impressed. Their dan dan noodles are phenomenal.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:28 AM

Shanghai, for all its faults, has an amazing food scene. For Asia, it's almost second to none when it comes to the sheer breadth of good, authentic restaurants from around the world. This is helped by close to 400,000 expats that live here, many which are involved in the F&B industry. Tokyo has it all, but a lot of it is catered to Japanese tastes. HK is probably the only true contender these days when your talking about variety of food from around the world that isn't changed for the masses.

Will Shanghai keep evolving as China's ultimate food city? Who knows? But I'm seriously enjoying the fruits at the moment.

After writing all that, we aren't even going to focus on foreign cuisine. We are eating baozi; steamed pork bun and some seriously amazing noodles.

Baohouse. Located on Jin Xian Road.

baohouse_ by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Their signature dish; the baozi. It's good, but not close to the best thing they offer.

baohouse 1 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Baozi has to be eaten piping hot. You can't take this home in a doggy bag. These particular baozi have A LOT of "soup" inside. While I welcome a little bit of that meaty, soupy goodness in a xiaolongbao, I'm not super stoked to have one fluid ounce spill all over my hands. Baozi shouldn't be an oily, messy affair. It's because of this that I'm kind of disappointed in these buns. For a signature food, you should sort out your soup to bun ratio.

baohouse 2 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Their wonton soup is on point. Great broth, and amazing wontons - they pretty much melt in your mouth. A lovely, humble dish.

baohouse 3 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

And this was the show stopper; shrimp roe noodles. Wow. Whenever I get to experience a new taste, I'm a pretty happy guy, and these do not disappoint. The noodles are obviously made fresh daily, and the roe is fantastic. Despite the amount of roe on the noodles, it doesn't overpower with that shrimpy taste. It's subtle, and totally compliments the flavour of the noodles. One of my new favourite bowls of noodles in the city.

baohouse 4 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 1:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Tried out the new Mexican place on my block. The owners are a local man and his wife, from Guadalajara. Overheard them chatting with a customer, catching up - they'd went to school together. He's from nearby, so it's both international and super local.

The decor is hilarious - reminds me of Newfoundland Bagel Cafe.

The menu is interesting - a lot of things I've not heard of before, and that don't appear at the other Mexican restaurants in the city like Zapatas or chains like Quesada.

Seems to be mostly homemade-style meals.

Embarrassingly, I ordered the gringo tacos . She's got us pegged, it sounded the most appetizing, hahaha, with chipotle and the like. Sides were guacamole and refried beans.

Really good. The taco shell itself was fantastic, clearly made from scratch. It seems to be getting rave reviews thus far, especially from the young people in this neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:17 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I've been back to Soul Azteka three times this week. It's just so close, and so good.

I tried a bunch of the other menu items and everything is tasty and filling. I'm assuming that in Mexico it'd be the equivalent of a chip wagon, but it's at a whole other level than the Mexican chains here.

And they always seem to have at least 3-4 customers inside, even during the strange hours I go pick up something. The staff seems to be different every day, all various relatives of the owner.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:26 AM
sick transit, gloria

The food scene in St. John's really looks to be out of control given the size of the city. As someone who makes food and drink a main part of my travels I really want to check it out at some point in the near future. I may ask for advice (although will ask elsewhere for craft beer haha).

I want fries with stuffing and gravy right now.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I've been back to Soul Azteka three times this week. It's just so close, and so good.

I tried a bunch of the other menu items and everything is tasty and filling. I'm assuming that in Mexico it'd be the equivalent of a chip wagon, but it's at a whole other level than the Mexican chains here.

And they always seem to have at least 3-4 customers inside, even during the strange hours I go pick up something. The staff seems to be different every day, all various relatives of the owner.
The Mexican equivalent of a chip wagon is the taco stand/food cart you find on every other corner. Street meat taken to its highest expression - tacos al pastor!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:33 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The food scene in St. John's really looks to be out of control given the size of the city. As someone who makes food and drink a main part of my travels I really want to check it out at some point in the near future. I may ask for advice (although will ask elsewhere for craft beer haha).

It is, and it's ALL new - within the last 6-7 years. So it's exciting even for locals. This is not our tradition, or something we're used to.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:39 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It is, and it's ALL new - within the last 6-7 years. So it's exciting even for locals. This is not our tradition, or something we're used to.
Interesting as this seems to be happening everywhere. Even in Toronto I find the scene is exponentially bigger than when I moved here in 2007. It's reached a point where the list of places I want to go is growing much faster than I can actually go to them... Also of note is that the people I talk to at restaurants (usually try and sit at the bar) all seem to know each other and are supportive of each others ventures. Same thing when I was in Montreal - and there is a lot of connection in the industry between the two cities.

Hell in South Africa most of the good places we went were less than 5 years old. And ANY craft brewery was basically brand new.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 3:03 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, same here. Fisherman brings in a big tuna, and the restaurants all split it, etc.

They have a various "showdown" going on at any given time as well. Right now it's mac and cheese, for example. Magnum and Steins has a pork belly batter one with partridgeberry sauce, etc. The restaurants go all out. And even Soul Azteka is competing, which is nice because I would've assumed a place like that would be disconnected from the downtown scene.

Magnum's:

Soul Azteka's:

(Five Brothers is a local cheesemaker, not the name of the competition)

The restaurant that wins often makes that winning dish a repeat menu item. Magnum won a couple years ago with its Screech burger on a touton bun with beets, for example, and they've brought that back several times.

EDIT: And RE: craft beer... I know what you'd like. If I hate it, I'll bring you there.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post

Me too. I really want to visit Atlantic Canada and given the added time & expense of getting to St. John's, I wouldn't be considering it if it wasn't for SHH's regular marketing! (well, that and knowing that Raymond's was #1 two years running...)

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 11:22 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If you do visit, the fries, dressing, and gravy is always best at a greasy spoon. Downtown, I'd choose Celtic Hearth. But I think my favourite in the city is probably Jasmine's, in a little strip mall at the border of St. John's and Mount Pearl.

The big new thing here, though, which I'd say has surpassed Raymond's in terms of media coverage and tourist satisfaction, is foraging with local guides. You basically go out into the countryside and eat what you can harvest, learn the local plants that are substitutes for all the spices, and have a little boil up/fire on the beach, etc. Most of the media coverage, especially from the UK, has raved about how the taste is incomparable to restaurants.

There are a few companies doing it, the main one, and best one, is Cod Sounds. Some things they just have to bring with them, like moose, though it is always fresh and in season. But most of the time they do get a lot of it while you're actually with them, like mussels from the beach you're on.

The Guardian has a great promo video for it: https://www.theguardian.com/explore-...MP=embed_video

And the company's website is:

http://www.codsounds.ca/wild-foragin...-and-labrador/

They also do a restaurant tour downtown, but I wouldn't recommend that. I love hiking, but guided hikes make me want to kill myself, and I imagine a restaurant tour has much the same atmosphere going on.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 4:22 PM
recession proof

Mac & Cheese icecream?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada