HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:42 PM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:05 AM
Show me the blueprints

Honestly I was expecting much worse. Considering the absolute batshit crazy political twilight zone weve been living through I was prepared to read some "real American" Trumper types speculating high speed rail was a George Soros pitch for new world order mind control... and of course, communism. Or that the noise causes cancer, kills cows or makes you gay. I mean, really, would that hysterical nonsense surprise anyone at this point?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Dec 4, 2020 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:22 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
The sole remaining government issue remaining for Texas Central to jump through is approval from the United States Surface Transportation Board, which in its entire history has never opposed a railway project.

Yet the Texas Monthly suggests the STB may not approve it. Really?
What sand hill do they have their heads buried into?

Wiki on Surface Transportation Board
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfac...ortation_Board

The Board has wide discretion, through its exemption authority from federal, state and local laws, to tailor its regulatory activities to meet the nation's changing transportation needs.
The Board provides a forum for the resolution of surface-transportation disputes and other matters within its jurisdiction. It has the authority to limit or remove regulatory requirements where appropriate.

The STB has 5 members on its board, presently three appointed by Obama and two appointed by Trump. Biden will soon be President. The idea that the STB will oppose HSR is laughable.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Monthly
Four days after Abbott penned his letter, his staff walked back his support, telling the Dallas Morning News that the governor intended to reevaluate his position out of concern for Texans’ property rights and because he was provided with “incomplete” information about the project.
...of course he did. Like the pandemic, he has to check with his core constinciency to see where the wind will blow him.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

Also to evaluate the risk to his or his families life by some armed rightwing freedom stormer. #ThisCountryIsFuckingInsane

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:25 PM

It will be interesting to see if and when Texas Central is able to raise money to build the rail and buy equipment. They've stated that they won't use tax money and I don't see public infrastructure as an attractive investment for private investors. Brightline couldn't even sell bonds for the Las Vegas high speed train with government backing.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:10 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
It will be interesting to see if and when Texas Central is able to raise money to build the rail and buy equipment. They've stated that they won't use tax money and I don't see public infrastructure as an attractive investment for private investors. Brightline couldn't even sell bonds for the Las Vegas high speed train with government backing.
Brightline's Victorville to Las Vegas line would be a partial service, investors should be leery of an incomplete railroad service. Just look at the nearby CHSR line.

Texas Central line would be complete, connecting train stations in both Dallas and Houston. They already reportedly have around half the funds committed, and half the right of way purchased. They have the money in hand to purchase the remaining land, and once that has been purchased it should not be too difficult to find the remaining half of the funding. Slowly, but surely, Texas Central has been aligning all its ducks in a row, piece by piece. Once all the preparations are done, i expect dirt to be flying, concrete being poured, and rails being laid.

I made a similar posting about CHSR "not" having all its ducks in a row, starting the build even before all the EIS and other preparations for the entire main route was completed. Even government has problems finding money for a complete route when all the preparations are not finished. Likewise with Brightline, they really need a compete route if they plan on getting all their funding privately, even with government backed bonds.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Brightline's Victorville to Las Vegas line would be a partial service, investors should be leery of an incomplete railroad service. Just look at the nearby CHSR line.

Texas Central line would be complete, connecting train stations in both Dallas and Houston. They already reportedly have around half the funds committed, and half the right of way purchased. They have the money in hand to purchase the remaining land, and once that has been purchased it should not be too difficult to find the remaining half of the funding. Slowly, but surely, Texas Central has been aligning all its ducks in a row, piece by piece. Once all the preparations are done, i expect dirt to be flying, concrete being poured, and rails being laid.

I made a similar posting about CHSR "not" having all its ducks in a row, starting the build even before all the EIS and other preparations for the entire main route was completed. Even government has problems finding money for a complete route when all the preparations are not finished. Likewise with Brightline, they really need a compete route if they plan on getting all their funding privately, even with government backed bonds.
Ducks in a row is great but passenger rail doesn’t make much money, if any, and the capital investment is huge. All of the agreements that they have in place with private companies and Japanese banks are contingent upon them having investors. I’m hoping to see more than reportedly being funded. We’ll see but this will be amazing if it gets built with all private money.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 3:20 PM

Texas Central has announced a contract for the electrical system for the high-speed line.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301281703.html

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

Good to hear steady progress.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 10:07 PM

Texas Central signs $16 billion contract with Webuild to build Texas high-speed rail -KBTX

Quote:
By Adrienne DeMoss
Updated: 2 hours ago
DALLAS, Texas (KBTX) - The developers of the high-speed train between Houston and Dallas, Texas Central Railroad, has signed a $16 billion contract with Webuild, an industrial group that specializes in construction and civil engineering, to lead the civil construction team that will build the Texas passenger line.

The 200 mph train would connect two of the largest cities in Texas, with a stop in the Brazos Valley along the way. The project will create a super-economy, connecting people in the 4th and 5th largest U.S. markets looking for safe, reliable, green and productive travel options, according to a release from Texas Central.

------------------------------------------------

According to the contract, Webuild will execute all the heavy construction for the project, designing and building all 236 miles of the alignment. Nearly half of the high-speed rail will be on a viaduct, a type of bridge that consists of a series of arches, piers or columns that support an elevated railway.
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/06/15/texa...gh-speed-rail/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 1:04 AM

That is kind of incredible

I can see Dallas to Houston being a heavily traveled route - just never thought it would happen given the car culture in Texas.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 1:25 AM
Show me the blueprints

This ought to quiet the "this isn't real, this is never happening" crowd but I think we all know they'll just move the goalpost.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 11:51 PM
life is good

Am I missing something or who is putting up the $16 billion?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 12:05 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Am I missing something or who is putting up the $16 billion?
They plan to raise the $16 Billion by selling bonds. I would like to point out that while they have been signing contracts for designing and building the train line, they still have not raised all the funds yet. They hope to reach the financial close later this year, or early next year. All these contracts they have been signing depend upon them selling the bonds.......
It is not a done deal yeat.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 12:05 AM
TL;DR

^ They won't say. That's a good sign, right?

I want to be optimistic about this, but if Brightline can't build their line from Victorville to Vegas without some kind of government support I'm not sure how Texas Central can do it. They just need to maintain the fiction that this is private enterprise in order to pass through the initial hurdles in Texas.

I'm not a naysayer, I just think they will eventually need to accept government support, either direct grants or government-backed loans/bond sales. Once completed, the line can certainly be operated privately and turn an operating profit (if the initial capital costs are not factored in).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:50 PM

On June 18th, the Texas Supreme Court let stand a ruling that Texas Central can use eminent domain to acquire land for the Dallas-Houston HSR line. The opponents want to keep fighting, but this ruling is a severe blow to their hopes.

Getting from Dallas to Houston in just 90 minutes on a bullet train is one step closer to reality after opponents of the project suffered a significant setback in court Friday. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/traffic/...court/2661092/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblock View Post
On June 18th, the Texas Supreme Court let stand a ruling that Texas Central can use eminent domain to acquire land for the Dallas-Houston HSR line. The opponents want to keep fighting, but this ruling is a severe blow to their hopes.

Getting from Dallas to Houston in just 90 minutes on a bullet train is one step closer to reality after opponents of the project suffered a significant setback in court Friday. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/traffic/...court/2661092/
This ruling is surprising considering the Conservative politics of Texas.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:16 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
This ruling is surprising considering the Conservative politics of Texas.
Why do so many think judges on supreme courts rule with politics overruling a plain reading of the laws legislatures pass? You'll be surprised how often conservatives and liberal judges agree.
The Texas Appeals Court made the present ruling that Texas Central is both a railroad and interurban that existing State laws grant the ability to ask for eminent domain. That ruling was based upon reading the law as written, therefore the Texas Supreme Court had no problems with it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:55 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ I'd take his word for it, the man's from Texas. Plus he has the math to prove it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation