HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:10 AM

These are all photos of Maj. Horace Bell's house at the corner of Figueroa (1337 address) and Pico.
His farm encompassed the land from Figueroa west to Union between Pico and Washington.
He later subdivided it into individual lots and sold if off in 1875 for $8,000 profit after he became an attorney at his wife's encouragement.
A street near the convention center, Georgia St,. was named after his wife Georgia Herrick Bell.
On some old maps you can see the area as named "Bell's Addition".
I believe this area is where the new stadium "Farmers Field" is/was planned for construction.
Personally I would loathe to see that happen. The fwy traffic is bad enough as it is at that 10/110 interchange.

http://www.thenativeangeleno.com/201...dfly-angeleno/

You can read his 1st book online here:

Full text of "Reminiscences of a ranger : or, early times in Southern California"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Oh my God, I was just double-checking to make sure my 1880 'Pampas grass' photograph hadn't been posted before.

Well it hasn't, but two later photographs of the same house were posted by BifRayRock...and guess what,
the wooden zanja in my 1880 photograph was eventually replaced with a stone zanja a decade or so later.

below: Here are BRR's two photograph from the 1890s. (notice how the pampas grass has grown threefold!)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16552

below: -five years later the pampas grass is almost mutant.

So maybe this 1880 photograph is worth $499.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1880s-Cabine...item540e524624

__

Last edited by fhammon; Jan 28, 2015 at 10:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
but I've never seen anything like it on any other house.

I just had a thought, maybe it's unfinished, and eventually it will be encased in bricks like the other chimneys? (there is a ladder there)
__
I've seen chimneys with these pipe extensions before. Its just an afterthought to try and remedy a bad situation.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:47 AM

Vanished railways

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-LAB...item54188fd6f0

If this the West Hollywood Yards, my old bungalow is behind that white building at the end of the tracks.
__
I agree it's West Hollywood. e_r's picture was taken from the "x" and you can see the edge of the green building on the left, and the red building further away on the right.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
When LAX first opened in the '60s (I think) all of the terminals were satellites. They were connected to the ticketing/baggage areas by underground walkways. It was thought to be the wave of the future. Why, I don't know.
I suppose a key benefit was that, without having an above-ground concourse in the way, it gave ground traffic control a little more flexibility when it came to how planes were taxied around the gate areas. It did work for a long time, and was almost as iconic for LAX as the sadly disused Theme Building. Almost any time a movie character traveled through LAX, the long walk or conveyor belt ride through the tunnel was almost obligatory, from The Graduate to Airplane.

Perhaps the original designers underestimated the volume of future traffic. It's too bad that, now that most of the original satellites are now connected to the ticketing area by ordinary concourses, most of the airport looks rather generic and ordinary. Thinking of the old satellite arrangement of the 1960s and 70s recalls a time when air travel was still very special for most people.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:23 AM

Quote:
I just came across three aerial slides dated 1968.

I'll post them LARGE in order to see the details.
It's a great picture, but my eyes are stinging and my lungs are closing up just from looking at it.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 9:46 AM

Very nice thread

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:37 PM

Mundane to macabre . . .

Trove of Depression-era LA County photos broadly dealing with health-sanitation issues. Some images may be have have received NLA coverage. "There it is. Take it." http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...id/9240/rec/45

Smog ready resident?

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...id/9240/rec/45

No dog paddling, no breast stroke, no clam diggers.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...id/9240/rec/45

Words to live by.

'30s fast food.

Is your cupboard secure? Check that "sell by date."

Last edited by Godzilla; Jan 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:48 PM

looking east on 4th Street from Olive, 1908

Looking east on 4th Street from Olive with the Wright & Callender Building here on the near right, the Black Building hasn't been built yet but will go in on the near left as these bay windowed apartments will be razed. Hotel Antlers out-of-frame at the extreme lower left corner.

Nov. 15, 1908. "Pacific Railroad Depot fire, Los Angeles. 4th Street between Hill and Broadway." 8x10 glass negative, photographer unknown.

Los Angeles Express, Nov. 16, 1908:

FIRE DESTROYS L.A.P. BUILDING

Flames broke out in the basement of the Los Angeles Pacific building at 314 W. Fourth St., adjoining the Broadway Department Store, at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon and threatened serious loss. The fire is believed to have had its origin in the rear of the basement, under the Sunset Bakery, at 320 W. 4th Street. Fourth Street from Broadway to Hill was speedily roped off to keep the crowds back, and Broadway became a mass of humanity within a few minutes. Great volumes of smoke could be seen rolling up over the Broadway Department Store, creating the impression that it was that great store which was burning. So quickly did the flames spread in the lower portions of the Los Angeles Pacific Building that the clerks and stenographers of the railway company in the offices on the second floor could not reach safety by the stairway or elevator. Fifteen girls and women were taken from the windows of the second floor with ladders. The clouds of smoke that rolled from the building did not begin to compare in size with the cloud of spectators which sought to reach the scene of the fire.

Shorpy

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=16981

Not sure if these two Bunker Hill images have been jointly posted. Wondering if the original roof was shingled or merely covered in tar paper.

251 S Bunker Hill Avenue - " just north of 3rd Street, on the other side of the Alta Vista Apartments."

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/8833/rec/461

http://www.csulb.edu/~odinthor/BuHiHs.jpg
While the pictures were apparently taken years apart, the same dead palm frond is stuck in the same place on the roof. The Library of Congress has a photo dated October 1961 which shows a man standing on the porch with the large Poinsettia in the front yard and the same palm frond on the roof

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:05 PM

Amazing 1908 fire photograph MichaelRyerson!

I got the chills when I saw the people watching the fire from this rooftop. It appears that several men are straddling the wall with one leg dangling over.

detail

-looks like that might be a man to the left of the turret as well. -he's bending over to check his shoelaces.
__

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Amazing 1908 fire photograph MichaelRyerson!

I got the chills when I saw the people watching the fire from this rooftop. It appears that several men are straddling the wall with one leg dangling over.

detail

-looks like that might be a man to the left of the turret as well. -he's bending over to check his shoelaces.
__
Yeah, I had the same reaction. Seems especially foolhardy, except the guy on the roof of the Stanford (later to be the Brighton) tying his shoes. People are weird. I have another pic just a bit later in the century, I'll try to post today, with some similar shenanigans going on.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:19 PM

City bus to Disneyland. 1960s?

ebay

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:43 PM

Family's Ocean Park bungalow overlooking the Pacific, May 10. 1907.

ebay

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:02 PM

A few weeks ago, I found this framed composite photo on ebay, ca. 1915.

below: larger images.

some of the firemen

apparatus #1

apparatus #2 and #3

As most of you know, this station still stands at 644 S. Figueroa. The 1,000 ft. Wilshire Grand Tower is going up right across the street.

GSV

I'm out of town for a few days. -have fun everyone!

__

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:04 PM

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:04 PM

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:05 PM

City Bus to Disneyland

Quote:
City bus to Disneyland. 1960s?

ebay
Yessir, ER! I remember riding them!

See this site for a bit more:http://metroprimaryresources.info/l-...e-livery/1455/

See this site for Knott's Bery Farm buses: https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrol...7616643413950/

Sorry about the two previous posts: I can't seem to find instructions for deleting them.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I suppose a key benefit was that, without having an above-ground concourse in the way, it gave ground traffic control a little more flexibility when it came to how planes were taxied around the gate areas. It did work for a long time, and was almost as iconic for LAX as the sadly disused Theme Building. Almost any time a movie character traveled through LAX, the long walk or conveyor belt ride through the tunnel was almost obligatory, from The Graduate to Airplane.

Perhaps the original designers underestimated the volume of future traffic. It's too bad that, now that most of the original satellites are now connected to the ticketing area by ordinary concourses, most of the airport looks rather generic and ordinary. Thinking of the old satellite arrangement of the 1960s and 70s recalls a time when air travel was still very special for most people.
I don't think that in 1960, anyone imagined the volume of air traffic we have today. Back then, flying was very much for people of means and no one imagined cheap plane tickets luring hundreds of millions of people onto planes. The problem with LAX, one of them, is that all of the "solutions" as the volume of traffic grew, were only patchwork and did as much harm as good. They should have built a second airport from the ground up in the late 1970s instead of just trying to make LAX "work".

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:29 PM

Also, the jetways came after the satellite terminals were built. I don't think they made their appearance until three years or so after LAX was opened. Planes used just to park on the apron and passengers would climb down mobile stairs and walk through the open air (gasp!) to the terminals.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post

When LAX first opened in the '60s (I think) all of the terminals were satellites. They were connected to the ticketing/baggage areas by underground walkways. It was thought to be the wave of the future. Why, I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

This postcard I found on eBay earlier seems to illustrate jg6544's description quite nicely.

eBay

According to lawa.org, LAX went from just over 51 million passengers in 1994 to 66.7 million by 2013. Wikipedia estimates 70.7 million passengers for 2014.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos