HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:10 AM
self-important urbanista

Metro Phoenix Dining Thread

Starting this as a place to discuss restaurants, particularly as they relate to urban vitality.

I'll kick this off with a mention of the Crown Public House. This place on Jefferson behind the 3rd St. light rail platform is the result of the merger between the Rose & Crown and Coach's Corner. R&C was kicked out of Heritage Square in order to make room for a new restaurant called Anhelo (fka Hidden Kitchen). The owner of R&C then bought Coach's Corner and transformed it into Crown Public House.

I visited for the first time last week with mixed feelings. The menu was familiar, but in the old R&C, I found the average food there was made up for by the charming atmosphere of the Silva House. That building is old and separated into numerous small rooms, much like most pubs in England. Although they've done their best to make the interior of Coach's Corner look like a pub, it didn't feel the same, and somehow the shortcomings of the food seemed more apparent without the pub atmosphere to distract me.

I was also disappointed that the tap handles had only a few traditional brews from the British Isles. There was Guinness but no Harp or Bass to use in making a black-and-tan. I talked a little to the bartender and she told me they were still trying to merge the tastes of the R&C crowd of Liverpool soccer fans with the tastes of the Coach's Corner fans. She also said a new menu was coming soon.

Has anyone else been there? If so, what did you think?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 4:33 AM

What's the difference between this thread and the one titled "Central Phoenix Food and Drink News"?? Do we really need two different threads to talk about food?

Haven't been to the new place but used to love Coach's Corner. Out of all the sports bars in downtown, this was a legit one where the bar was guaranteed to have some sort of Phoenix sports game on TV instead of having to ask a bartender to flip it to a Coyotes or DBacks game.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:38 AM

Coach's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
What's the difference between this thread and the one titled "Central Phoenix Food and Drink News"?? Do we really need two different threads to talk about food?

Haven't been to the new place but used to love Coach's Corner. Out of all the sports bars in downtown, this was a legit one where the bar was guaranteed to have some sort of Phoenix sports game on TV instead of having to ask a bartender to flip it to a Coyotes or DBacks game.
Haven't been to this place yet. I usually to to People Pizza Pub. There is usually a contingent of Canadians there watching hockey, but otherwise, it's an AZ-centric place. Lots of rotating beers, etc.

I'll give Coach's a try soon.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 10:19 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
No, we don't. I didn't realize combusean had created the other one. Maybe he can merge the two, or delete one and keep the other? My feelings won't be hurt if this one goes away. I don't like redundancy either.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Starting this as a place to discuss restaurants, particularly as they relate to urban vitality.

I'll kick this off with a mention of the Crown Public House. This place on Jefferson behind the 3rd St. light rail platform is the result of the merger between the Rose & Crown and Coach's Corner. R&C was kicked out of Heritage Square in order to make room for a new restaurant called Anhelo (fka Hidden Kitchen). The owner of R&C then bought Coach's Corner and transformed it into Crown Public House.

I visited for the first time last week with mixed feelings. The menu was familiar, but in the old R&C, I found the average food there was made up for by the charming atmosphere of the Silva House. That building is old and separated into numerous small rooms, much like most pubs in England. Although they've done their best to make the interior of Coach's Corner look like a pub, it didn't feel the same, and somehow the shortcomings of the food seemed more apparent without the pub atmosphere to distract me.

I was also disappointed that the tap handles had only a few traditional brews from the British Isles. There was Guinness but no Harp or Bass to use in making a black-and-tan. I talked a little to the bartender and she told me they were still trying to merge the tastes of the R&C crowd of Liverpool soccer fans with the tastes of the Coach's Corner fans. She also said a new menu was coming soon.

Has anyone else been there? If so, what did you think?
Haven't been to Crown Public House yet, but I agree that the appeal of Rose & Crown, at least for me, was about 90% the Silva House. Sometime this summer hopefully I'll go to a baseball game or something and check out Crown Public House, but if what you say is true, it's hard to get excited.

Since this is a "Metro" thread, I'll put a little plug in for my neck of the woods. My dream of DT Mesa developing a nice collection of watering holes is becoming a reality. Cider Corp--as the name suggests, serving ciders--is expanding and adding Myke's Pizza as their food provider. They are supposed to open the expanded taproom June 14. On or around the same day a new taproom, Chupacabra is supposed to open. Those, in addition to Oro (which makes fantastic beers and is my go-to spot), Desert Eagle (the old stand-by) and Main St. Bar & Grill (formerly a pizza place) make a nice little cluster. I feel like there is an opportunity for DT Mesa to be the go-to for people in the East Valley, like myself, for whom Gilbert is too busy/family-y, Tempe is too college-y, and Scottsdale is too Scottsdale-y. Just a nice, relaxed place to get a couple beers.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:31 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Since this is a "Metro" thread, I'll put a little plug in for my neck of the woods. My dream of DT Mesa developing a nice collection of watering holes is becoming a reality. Cider Corp--as the name suggests, serving ciders--is expanding and adding Myke's Pizza as their food provider. They are supposed to open the expanded taproom June 14. On or around the same day a new taproom, Chupacabra is supposed to open. Those, in addition to Oro (which makes fantastic beers and is my go-to spot), Desert Eagle (the old stand-by) and Main St. Bar & Grill (formerly a pizza place) make a nice little cluster. I feel like there is an opportunity for DT Mesa to be the go-to for people in the East Valley, like myself, for whom Gilbert is too busy/family-y, Tempe is too college-y, and Scottsdale is too Scottsdale-y. Just a nice, relaxed place to get a couple beers.
I'm definitely pleased about the Cider Corps / Myke's collaboration. One thing I've thought downtown Mesa has long lacked is good pizza. My experiences with Queen's were not good, and now I believe that pizzeria has gone out of business. Having a permanent indoor location for Myke will fill the vacuum nicely. I look forward to trying it soon. I'm also excited about Worth Takeaway's expansion into a larger space.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I'm definitely pleased about the Cider Corps / Myke's collaboration. One thing I've thought downtown Mesa has long lacked is good pizza. My experiences with Queen's were not good, and now I believe that pizzeria has gone out of business. Having a permanent indoor location for Myke will fill the vacuum nicely. I look forward to trying it soon. I'm also excited about Worth Takeaway's expansion into a larger space.
Yeah, I had a good calzone at Queen's once, but who wants a calzone all the time; the pizza and general experience IMO was subpar. And yeah, Worth expansion is great and was needed.

I went to Chupacabra Thursday during their planned "soft" open, and it was busy at ~9:30 PM. Chatted with one of the owners briefly who said they had been open for like 10 hours the day before with standing room only at times. Hopefully they keep the momentum. It's a small space, like 900 sf, but it's a plus as it has a "neighborhood watering hole" feel that works. They've got a good patio and a food truck. Blog coverage today: https://mouthbysouthwest.com/2019/06...downtown-mesa/

I think a bar with more expansive food options--something similar to AZ Wilderness, Four Peaks, etc.--in the old yoga studio at the NWC of Main/Robson would be a perfect compliment and make a nice cluster around that corner.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:28 PM

You guys tried out Monroe's Hot Chicken downtown? Love that place - would love to see more stores around town. However, its location in Luhr's is a great place to take visitors from out of town. Everyone's loved it - and they get to see that downtown Phoenix does actually have some life in it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
You guys tried out Monroe's Hot Chicken downtown? Love that place - would love to see more stores around town. However, its location in Luhr's is a great place to take visitors from out of town. Everyone's loved it - and they get to see that downtown Phoenix does actually have some life in it.
I was surprised how much I liked it. It's a messy sandwich, but well worth it. Great addition.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:52 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I like the food. I just wish the restaurant would show more of that downtown life by staying open nights. Monroe’s seems like the perfect food after drinks elsewhere.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:51 PM
Modulator

Camp Social Has Closed it's Doors

I kinda enjoyed this place. Always seemed fairly busy, especially on weekends.

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...fter-two-years

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:53 PM

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I kinda enjoyed this place. Always seemed fairly busy, especially on weekends.

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...fter-two-years
I am guessing that's why the one in Chandler has not started construction at Overstreet? The OverEasy that was suppose to go next door hasn't started work either and they were advertised a while ago....I think that place is overrated thanks to Guy Fiery

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I am guessing that's why the one in Chandler has not started construction at Overstreet? The OverEasy that was suppose to go next door hasn't started work either and they were advertised a while ago....I think that place is overrated thanks to Guy Fiery
Yea, the one in Chandler has been cancelled. Also, the same owners also opened the Mad Hatter next door to Camp Social. That place was barely for a year. Not sure why the sudden closures. I'm guessing financial issues. But I thought Camp Social was pretty cool. I loved that outdoorsy atmosphere they presented. But I'm just a mega outdoors freak anyway, so I might be a little biased as to why I liked this place. Others may have not felt the same vibe. It's a pretty big space for a restaurant. Hopefully another tenant can come in and make good use of it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:10 PM

Brat Haus coming to 16th St/Bethany

Looks like the Beermuda triangle area is getting another brewery:

https://ktar.com/story/2620951/scott...on-in-phoenix/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:40 PM

I like that. Beermuda Triangle.

While I miss Everything Bagels and while I don't think too highly of Brat Haus, I'm still happy to see it because it only adds to the growing nightlife scene in North Central.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:56 PM

New off-Mill bar taking over for the shuttered Blasted Barley:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ht/1519438001/

From the same people as Pedal Haus. For me personally, any new bar that says they have "dive bar DNA" does not compute. But I can get behind a $5 hot dog, beer and shot lunch. When I saw "Ted's" and "hot dog," I was hoping it was associated with Ted's Hot Dogs, but it doesn't look like it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:04 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
New off-Mill bar taking over for the shuttered Blasted Barley:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ht/1519438001/

From the same people as Pedal Haus. For me personally, any new bar that says they have "dive bar DNA" does not compute. But I can get behind a $5 hot dog, beer and shot lunch. When I saw "Ted's" and "hot dog," I was hoping it was associated with Ted's Hot Dogs, but it doesn't look like it.
Yes, "dive bar DNA" is a weird phrase. I don't envision places being born as dives. They get that way though years of wear-and-tear with the result being a patina that people either love or hate. It's interesting the article mentioned Balboa Cafe. I have to reach back three decades, but I have memories of meals there.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 7:42 PM
Modulator

Lenny's

Lenny's is about completed in the old Burger King location on Central Ave. The old location in the shopping center at Thomas/Central has closed and the new location should be opening very soon.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:35 PM
Modulator

Zipps Coming to Park Central

Article is a few months old, but I think it was missed as I don't recall seeing it posted.

Quote:
Valley-Based Zipps Sports Grill Becomes Latest Addition to Revitalized Park Central’s Restaurant Lineup
April 18, 2019
Valley neighborhood sports grill Zipps is joining the variety of successful restaurants that are part of the redevelopment of Park Central in central Phoenix, and will be bringing homemade food, cold drinks and fun to Midtown and the Central Avenue corridor.

Zipps Sports Grill will bring its neighborhood-oriented concept to a 6,506-square-foot space along with a large, 1,800 square-foot outdoor patio facing Central Avenue. It joins other restaurants including Starbucks, Fired Pie, Jamba Juice, First Watch, Jimmy Johns, Pita Bistro, Kobalt Bar and Thai Basil at the revitalized project, which held its pubic grand opening event on April 13.

“We are excited to welcome Zipps Sports Grill to Park Central and bring a new amenity to this part of the community,” said Stan Shafer, Chief Operating Officer of Holualoa Companies, one of the co-developers of the project. “This area of the market will be well served by a new sports bar, and the location Zipps will occupy is a prime spot facing Central Avenue with easy access to light rail.”

With the revitalization of almost 500,000 square feet of mixed-use space, a new 278-unit multifamily complex and the completion of the Creighton University Medical Sciences Campus on the Park Central property in spring 2021, Zipps is sure to be a hot spot at Park Central to partake in watching sports and get a break from work or studies.

The hometown restaurant concept will be housed in the Goldwater Building at the project, site of one of Arizona’s first major department stores, and will provide a boost to the area’s nightlife and dining options.

Plaza Companies and Holualoa Companies are teaming up to redevelop Park Central Mall, which once held court as the city’s first official large-scale shopping mall. The companies are transitioning the project to a bustling community hub ideal for playing, working, congregating and celebrating the arts. The first 265,000 square feet of redeveloped office and retail is complete. Leasing activity for office and retail space is ongoing at the project and interest has been strong in the newly revitalized property.

“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to service such a great market,” said Todd Goldman, owner of Zipps. “ We look forward to being part of the great mix of retailers that Park Central has put together.”

Plaza Companies and Cushman &Wakefield represented the property owners in the leasing transaction, and Zipps was represented by Chris Gerow at NAI Horizon. The Park Central brokerage team specifically targeted Zipps as a potential target once leasing began because they felt it would be an ideal fit for the project.

Park Central Mall opened in 1957 on Central Avenue and quickly became a hub of activities for some of Phoenix’s best neighborhoods due to its easy access from Central Avenue, Indian School Road and Thomas Road. Over the years, Park Central Mall has seen many changes but will be brought to life during the most recent facelift which maintains all original standing buildings with a new exterior and state-of-the-art upgrades.

The new Park Central includes 450,000 square feet of Class A creative office and retail space available for lease with the ability to accommodate tenants ranging from 3,500 square feet to more than 100,000 square feet in size. It features exclusive tenant patios, on-site restaurants and amenities, a stunning mid-century modern design, 15-25 foot ceilings, convenient bike path and light rail access and ample parking. For more information on the project, visit www.parkcentralphoenix.com.
Source: http://parkcentralphoenix.com/news-a...aurant-lineup/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest