HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:36 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
62,000 between the 18/20/720 after the recent 20% decline
I looked these up and they're a little problematic. I'm definitely willing to combine the 20 and 720 (46,000 collectively), and I'd be willing to combine the Whittier segment of the 18 as well. But the 6th Street segment of the 18 is a separate branch and really can't count as part of the same line (I'd have to start including a lot of other lines in other cities to be fair).

***If*** we included them all together, it might well be the busiest bus line in the US+Canada (Vancouver's Broadway).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I looked these up and they're a little problematic. I'm definitely willing to combine the 20 and 720 (46,000 collectively), and I'd be willing to combine the Whittier segment of the 18 as well. But the 6th Street segment of the 18 is a separate branch and really can't count as part of the same line (I'd have to start including a lot of other lines in other cities to be fair).

***If*** we included them all together, it might well be the busiest bus line in the US+Canada (Vancouver's Broadway).
Your project, your call. The 720 is the Wilshire Bl/Whittier Bl rapid and the 20/18 are the respective locals. The extremely high bus frequency between Wilshire/Western and DTLA is probably why supplemental 18 service there is provided on 6th and not Wilshire.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:06 PM

I'm just going to have to asterisk it, I think. Fascinating stuff. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:29 PM

Lightbulb

This thread is title as the busiest “individual” bus line, so combining multiple bus lines even though over the same corridor isn’t appropriate in my opinion!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
This thread is title as the busiest “individual” bus line, so combining multiple bus lines even though over the same corridor isn’t appropriate in my opinion!
Is a 10km line with 30k riders less "busy" than a 20km line with 31k riders?.

The definition of "line" also varies from system to system. Some systems have lines with multiple branches, some don't.

If you want just to say those lines have the highest total ridership, that's fine, but don't say they are the "busiest."

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 11:37 AM

I’m not sure whether this thread is just for North American comparisons, but in London, the 25 is the busiest; 17.1mn journeys in 2016/17. TfL only publish annual ridership figures for its routes, so there are no weekday figures, but a rough calculation would put the figure at 57,150.

There are 101 routes across the city with ridership north of 6mn; which probably works out to around 20,000/weekday as a rough guess. None of which comes as a surprise considering that the London Bus network handles 2 billion trips each year.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 12:44 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

In Paris, it's either line 183 or TVM with around 55,000~60,000 daily passengers .
Both lines serve the southeastern inner suburbs and they meet at Rouget de Lisle in Choisy le Roi.

-Line 183 : Porte de Choisy ↔ Aéroport d'Orly - Terminal Sud.
35 stops 16.5 km
Most services don't go as far as Orly airport and terminate at Rouget de Lisle or Mairie d'Orly. The outer section to the airport has a very low ridership.
The northern and busiest section of the line has its own dedicated path.
This line is curently being replaced by a tram between Porte de Choisy and Mairie d'Orly (T9).

-TVM (Trans Val de Marne) : Saint-Maur - Créteil RER ↔ La Croix de Berny RER
32 stops 19.7 km
This line opened in 1993, it is a busway.

Former very busy bus lines like PC1, PC2, PC3 have been replaced by tram (T3a and T3b). PC2 and PC3 still exist but they are the shadow of what they were before.

Last edited by Minato Ku; Nov 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 6:16 PM

In NYC, the busiest bus lines are almost all BRT routes. There is no weekday breakdown, but the busiest line in NYC is the Bx12, in the Bronx, which covers Fordham Road/Pelham Parkway, and has about 16 million annual passengers.

This is a fairly short line, BTW. So very intense passenger count. Busiest per-mile line in NYC is the M86 in Manhattan, though, which covers 86th Street.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 6:16 PM

In New Orleans, the busiest bus line is the #94 Broad Street, which had about 3800 average daily riders in the spring of last year.

Source: http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...4984ea337.html

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 6:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
In NYC, the busiest bus lines are almost all BRT routes. There is no weekday breakdown, but the busiest line in NYC is the Bx12, in the Bronx, which covers Fordham Road/Pelham Parkway, and has about 16 million annual passengers.

This is a fairly short line, BTW. So very intense passenger count. Busiest per-mile line in NYC is the M86 in Manhattan, though, which covers 86th Street.
And also a reminder why Fordham Rd along with Woodhaven and others in Queens are such worthy candidates for dedicated r.o.w. light rail.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 7:04 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
I notice that just like in Paris, the busiest bus line doesn't serve the city center.
Bx12 has just two stop in the northern edge of Manhattan.

Line 183 has just one stop in southern edge of the City of Paris (Porte de Choisy) and the TVM has no stop inside the City of Paris.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 9:23 PM

After Denver's 16th St Mall I do believe the 15 and 15L on Colfax comes in around 40,000 or so (in the old days some people would call Denver's RTD "rough, tough and dangerous" as the route 15 and 15 Limited had a rather rough crowd ride it-Colfax went through rough hoods).

Last edited by CastleScott; Nov 27, 2017 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:

As I posted earlier in this thread, there is a weekday breakdown for all lines on the MTA's website:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/facts/rider...ership_bus.htm

The M86 SBS weekday ridership in 2016 was 24,746.

Last edited by KVNBKLYN; Dec 2, 2017 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:02 AM

Denver's 15+15L is 22,000, not 40,000. Already on the list.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 5:08 AM

^ Oh-ok, thanks Cirrus!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:09 AM

Edmonton's busiest route is the #8 Mill Woods / Abbottsfield at 22,028. This is from the 2014 bus ridership report (the latest released) but I expect the number to be about the same today.

To find the report I had to use the wayback machine since they seem to not be posted on the city's new website.

Cumulative-Boarding-Summary-Sept2014.pdf

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:37 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

In 2015 (I accidentally used 2015 numbers and am too lazy to go back and fix that), Chicago's total bus ridership was approximately 275 million rides. When I first moved to Chicago, bus ridership was approximately double rail ridership, but in 2015 rail ridership was about 242 million, so through a combination of declining bus ridership and increasing rail ridership they're fast approaching parity. Some of these lines exceed some of Chicago's 'L' line ridership. In 2015, the Yellow Line would have had about 884,000 riders if it'd been a normal year (they had a outage caused by a construction project adjacent to the tracks), the Pink Line had about 5.6 million, the Purple Line in Evanston about 3.3 million, and the Orange Line had about 9.1 million.

In 2015, Chicago's highest ridership bus lines were as follows:

Route, annual ridership, description of service area:

9/Ashland, 8.9 million, north-south route serving the near-west areas from Edgewater to Uptown/Ravenswood/Lincoln Square to Lakeview to Wicker Park/Bucktown to the West Loop to Bridgeport and the South Side

79/79th Street, 8.7 million, east-west route serving the far south side from the lakefront South Shore neighborhood west to the Beverly neighborhood

49/Western, 7.5 million, north-south route serving Western Avenue, one of the major north-south corridors in the middle-west portions of the city from Beverly in the south to McKinley Park on the SW side, Logan Square and Lincoln Square on the NW side and West Ridge on the north. If the 49B/North Western and X49 express buses that extend the corridor, the total for the corridor would be about 9.2 million riders for the corridor.

66/Chicago Ave, 7.4 million, east-west route from the lakefront Gold Coast neighborhood to the Ukrainian Village, Humboldt Park, and Austin neighborhoods

77/Belmont, 7.0 million, east-west route serving the mid-north area from the lakefront Lakeview neighborhood to the Belmont-Craigin area which is highly Polish immigrants

8/Halsted, 6.8 million, north-south route from Wrigleyville/Lakeview through Lincoln Park, River West, West Loop/Greektown, past UIC/University Village, Bridgeport, Englewood and the far South Side and the southern city limits. If the 8A/South Halsted route were included, the corridor would total about 7.9 million.

4/Cottage Grove, 6.7 million, a north-side line from East Loop/Lakeshore East south along Michigan Avenue south past McCormick Place convention center, through Bronzeville, Kenwood, Hyde Park/U of C, and Pullman Historic District and Lake Calumet

53/Pulaski, 6.3 million, a north-south route starting near the north city limits and running south along Pulaski through Belmont-Cragin, western Logan Square and Humboldt Park, through Garfield Park and North and South Lawndale, ending in the Little VIllage, where it connects to the 53-A/South Pulaski route that serves the south side with 2.4 million riders. Taken together the corridor has 8.7 million riders, annually, which would make it the second or third more traveled corridor in the city.

3/Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, 6.1 million, a north-south from Watertower Place south along Michigan Avenue through the South Loop, past the McCormick Place convention center, through Bronzeville and past IIT, through Washington Park, through Chatham and ending at the 95th Street Red Line terminal

22/Clark, 6.1 million, a major north-south North Side route running from the Howard north terminal for the Red Line south along Clark through Rogers Park, Edgewater/Andersonville, Uptown, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, the Gold Coast, River North, the Loop and then terminating in the South Loop. The 36/Broadway route overlaps 22/Clark for a substantial stretch. Taken together that would be 10.8 million riders. If including the 24/Wentworth route, which essentially continues the Clark route south from the South Loop, that total increases to 11.5 million for the entire corridor.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by emathias; Nov 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 6:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the cleveland healthline brt has 20k daily riders, around 10% of rta ridership. almost 10yrs old now, its seen as a model modern brt system for the states.

http://www.riderta.com/healthline/about

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:21 PM

Exclamation

Quote:

It's also why the Bx12 was the first to receive the SBS upgrade. There won't be any type of crosstown rail lines put in the Bronx anytime soon so it's not a bad consolation prize. Hopefully, they give the Tremont Avenue corridor the SBS treatment soon too.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
It's also why the Bx12 was the first to receive the SBS upgrade. There won't be any type of crosstown rail lines put in the Bronx anytime soon so it's not a bad consolation prize. Hopefully, they give the Tremont Avenue corridor the SBS treatment soon too.
its really two different bus lines though, the express and the local busses. not sure that counts. or if the ridership is broken up and counted seperately? i would guess it probably is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation