HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 9:00 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Fancy!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 7:53 PM

American Eagle closing all NA stores until at Least March 27 th. They say the associates will get paid. Itwill probably be a lot longer than 10 days.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Mar 17, 2020 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 9:41 PM

A video from Regent Mall taken around 5:30ish on a Tuesday.

A lot of businesses are closing even with the reduced mall hours. Bath and Body Works, Reitmans stores, Aldo, Koodo mobile kiosks, etc...

It's going to be a tough few weeks (hopefully not months) for the retail scene.

*Edit* And now ToysRUs is closed till the end of the month.

Last edited by Taeolas; Mar 18, 2020 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:02 PM

As mentioned in the Moncton Retail thread, Champlain Place is basically facing a retail apocalypse as so many clothing retailers especially are closing up permanently. Combined with so many tech-jobs staying "Work From Home", meaning less traffic in the TD Centre, and it's a major challenge for the mall.

On the other hand, from looking at Regent and the stores Regent has, my gut feel is that Regent is going to weather the COVID storm fairly well. Some of the chains shutting down will affect it, but most of the big stores seem to be weathering the storm so far. Regent won't come out of this unscathed, but with the Sears space coming online, the theatre reopening and Walmart and Sports check still doing well, its anchors seem to be solid.

As for McAlistar place, I have no idea what its state is; maybe someone in the area can give an update. My gut feel is that it's closer to Regent's state than Champlain Place's state. I think the fact that McAlistar and Regent tend to have a slightly 'cheaper' tier of stores may be what will save them in the end.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
As mentioned in the Moncton Retail thread, Champlain Place is basically facing a retail apocalypse as so many clothing retailers especially are closing up permanently. Combined with so many tech-jobs staying "Work From Home", meaning less traffic in the TD Centre, and it's a major challenge for the mall.

On the other hand, from looking at Regent and the stores Regent has, my gut feel is that Regent is going to weather the COVID storm fairly well. Some of the chains shutting down will affect it, but most of the big stores seem to be weathering the storm so far. Regent won't come out of this unscathed, but with the Sears space coming online, the theatre reopening and Walmart and Sports check still doing well, its anchors seem to be solid.

As for McAlistar place, I have no idea what its state is; maybe someone in the area can give an update. My gut feel is that it's closer to Regent's state than Champlain Place's state. I think the fact that McAlistar and Regent tend to have a slightly 'cheaper' tier of stores may be what will save them in the end.

Thoughts?

McAllister Place is doing fine from what I know of. So far only La Senza permanently closed and Alia N Tan Jay is closing. (Urban Kids has also closed, but it's moved into the new Urban Planet opening soon). The Brick opened recently on June.4th, 2020 and Mark's opened back in March and all are fine. All the other bigger tenants are still open and doing fine (Marshalls & Homesense, H&M, Toys R Us, Sport Chek, Dollarama, Lawtons Drugs, Party City, GoodLife Fitness [re-opening on the 22nd]).

The only vacancies is smaller regular sized units that are scattered throughout the mall. From what I could count there are around 9 (one of them being a food court spot) plus one more when Alia N Tan Jay closes. Two of them were temporarily leased pre-covid and still are I do believe, and another one is the spot Calendar Club usually leases every year. So technically there are only around 7 that are empty.

But keep in mind most of these vacancies were pre-covid. Only 2 have popped up recently (and it will be 3 once Alia N Tan Jay closes). So I would say McAllister is more so closer to Regent's situation than Champlain Place. And like you said (and I agree with), the fact that McAllister and Regent tend to have a slightly "cheaper" tier of stores may be what will save them in the end.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jun 17, 2020 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:46 PM

A update on the malls current status.

*This following info is current (as of June 23rd, 2020). So info may have changed at the time you are reading this.*

If there is any info that I've missed please let me know.
................................................................................................................................................

CF Champlain

CRU Productivity: $599/ sq.ft. (last update was pre-covid)

Vacant spots

• Unit: J001C (213sf) *empty*
  • Unit: J003A (693sf) *empty*
  • Unit: E006 (2,928sf) *Currently empty. This unit is suspected to become Mountain Warehouse.*
  • Unit: M001A (1,453sf) *Currently being used as a CF Lounge.*
  • Unit: T002B (577sf) *Currently empty. This unit is rumored to be combined with unit T003C for a new tenant.*
  • Unit: T003C (1,220sf) *Currently empty. This unit is rumored to be combined with unit T002B for a new tenant.*
  • Unit: N009B (4,303sf) * Currently under construction, (however last I've heard this was stopped and hasn't resumed yet). This unit is slated for the relocation of RW&CO.*
  • Unit: M005 (2,321sf) *Under construction. Chatter suggests this is the new location of Jump+.*
  • Unit: N006A (2,269sf) *empty. Chatter suggests this is possibly for Zumiez, (relocation from nearby).*

Newly vacant units (as of June 23rd, 2020)

• Unit: L007C (2,102sf) *empty. Former Ardene.*
  • Unit: C002A (9,051sf) *empty. Was Victoria Secret & Pink, now permanently closed.*
  • Unit: Q003A (1,986sf) *empty. Was Jack & Jones, now permanently closed.*
  • Unit: P001A (3,529sf) *empty. Chatter suggests this unit is for Torrid, but it's unknown if they are still a go.*

Soon-to-be vacant units (as of June 23rd, 2020)

• Unit: D004 (2,180sf) *Currently Alia N Tan Jay, but store is closing.*
  • Unit: D001A (3,847sf) *Currently Addition Elle, but store is closing.*
  • Unit: E003A (5,264sf) *Currently RW&CO, but store is relocating to unit: N009B .*

Will possibly be vacant (according to chatter/rumors).

• Unit: E001H (9,924sf) *Currently Laura / Laura Petites / Laura Plus, but chatter (pre-covid) suggested that they will be relocating somewhere outside of the mall.*
  • Unit: H002A (1,783sf) *Currently Jump+, but store is relocating to unit: M005. Chatter (pre-covid) suggested that this unit will be for Lush Cosmetics, however it is unknown right now if this is still a go.*

Total units: 18
Total units that are empty/not leased: 10
Total units after current store closures: 12

Collected this info from: https://www.cfretail.ca/properties/5...197b1cc748bb76

......................................................................................................................................................................

Regent Mall

CRU Productivity: $580 / sq.ft. (last update was in January 2020).

Vacant spots

• Unit: B4 (2,421sf) *Usually leased to Just Cozy every holiday season, (seasonal pop-up).*
  • Unit: G1 (679sf) *empty*

• Unit: K3A (2,001sf) *Currently Alia N Tan Jay, but store is closing.*

Total units: 3
Total units that are empty/not leased: 1
Total units after current store closures: 2

Collected this info from: http://www.primarisreit.com/system/f...pdf?1583519609

.......................................................................................................................................................................

McAllister Place

CRU Productivity: $434 / sq.ft. (last update was in January 2020).
Vacant spots

• Unit: L007A (290sf) *empty food court spot*
  • Unit: K003A (1,150sf) *Currently being used as a car display showroom.*
  • Unit: E027C (1,124sf) *Currently being temporarily leased to PYT Hair, (seasonal pop-up).*
  • Unit: J005B (2,341sf) *empty*
  • Unit: F005A (2,508sf) *Usually leased to Calendar Club every holiday season, (seasonal pop-up).*
  • Unit: G023 (1,059sf) *Currently being used by Rogers while they renovate their current location.*
  • Unit: G037 (675sf) *empty, former Things Engraved*

Newly vacant units (as of June 23rd, 2020)

• Unit: G019A (2,160sf) *Was Urban Kids, but store has merged into the new Urban Planet that recently opened nearby.*
  • Unit: J015A (3,200sf) *Was La Senza, but store has permanently closed.*

• Unit: C007B (1,797sf) *Currently Alia N Tan Jay, but store is closing.*

Total units: 10
Total units that are empty/not leased: 5
Total units after current store closures: 6

Collected this info from: http://www.primarisreit.com/system/f...pdf?1583510619

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jun 23, 2020 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 9:10 PM

Just went around Regent mall. Since I didn't want my ice cream to sublimate the moment I stepped outside, I felt it was a good chance to do a status check.

At the moment, it looks like the mall is fully open except for the following:
* Urban Planet in the Sears end (still boarded up)
* Aeropostale (still boarded up, opening "Summer 2020")
* Pretzelmaker/Mrs. Fields
* Fido
* David's Tea (perm closed though the store doesn't indicate that)

* ALIA/Tan Jay have Store Closing signs up.
* GNC also has store closing signs up, but it is staying open as far as we know.

The corners of the food court are still empty and I think those are the only empty spots in the mall, other than the 2 closing soon spots.

While the mall itself is open until 7, many stores are closing at 5 or 6.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Just went around Regent mall. Since I didn't want my ice cream to sublimate the moment I stepped outside, I felt it was a good chance to do a status check.

At the moment, it looks like the mall is fully open except for the following:
* Urban Planet in the Sears end (still boarded up)
* Aeropostale (still boarded up, opening "Summer 2020")
* Pretzelmaker/Mrs. Fields
* Fido
* David's Tea (perm closed though the store doesn't indicate that)

* ALIA/Tan Jay have Store Closing signs up.
* GNC also has store closing signs up, but it is staying open as far as we know.

The corners of the food court are still empty and I think those are the only empty spots in the mall, other than the 2 closing soon spots.

While the mall itself is open until 7, many stores are closing at 5 or 6.
Kudos for the update! The new Urban Planet opens in September

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 10:50 AM

Did another wander through Regent with my ice cream (from Laura Secord this time. ) on the weekend.

* Urban Planet is open and really fills in that corner of hte mall well. Though I wonder if their name signage might be too simple (it tends to blend into the background IMO)

* Pretzelmaker/Mrs Fields is still closed and shows no signs of opening that I can see. Or maybe they are open and just closing early; but it doesn't look like they are open.
* Telus is renovating their corner spot, so they have a kiosk open in the meantime.
* D&S Hairstylists near Walmart is closed, but a new hairdresser is supposedly moving in. (So I won't really count it as an empty spot)

Looking at the mall directory, it looks like there is an empty spot between Soft Moc and East Side Board Supply; but I don't remember an empty spot there. I think Soft Moc expanded into 2 slots and the map didn't combine them together. (The Rogers store is similar, there's an empty spot next to it where Rogers expanded into it)

Actual Empty spots include:
* Alia/TanJay
* Justice
* David's Tea
* the 2 corner slots of the food court (one of which is now overflow food court seating).

All in all, Regent seems to be doing very well, though it would be nice if they could at least get all the retailers back on mall hours. Despite the mall being open until 7, many stores are closing at 5 or 6.

I saw down in SJ, MacAllistar place has extended the hours on Thursdays and Fridays; I wonder if Regent will follow suite any time soon?

Finally, just a random thought. September is almost here, which means Christmas is coming up fast. Barring a Christmas miracle, visits with Santa will not be happening, which makes me wonder how malls will decorate.

Will they set up their "Santas Workshop" displays with a sign saying Santa won't be taking visitors directly due to COVID? Or will they leave the throne in storage and decorate around it?

I'm sure the malls would love their Santas Arrival events to kick off the season, but the risk of having too many people might make it too dangerous.

Considering how important the next 4 months are for retail, it's going to be interesting to see how things roll out.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:53 PM

Since Taeolas just did an update on Regent Mall, I will do one on McAllister Place. (This is based on when I was last there last week).

Here is what's new since my last update:
  • The former La Senza space has been leased again (My City Life - a local consignment shop).
  • David's Tea has closed, so this is a new vacant spot.
  • Alia N Tan Jay was still open and having their store closing sales. Once they close, this will be another vacant spot.
  • D&S Hair has also closed, but is being converted into another salon business (Razed Rite - based out of Oromocto). This new salon will be a men's shop.
  • Rogers has finished their renovations and has moved back to their location next to Bath & Body Works. The store's new design look great! More clean and modern looking now.
  • Maritime Travel has also updated their look. Looks more modern and new. I like the new design, fits in well next to the new Mark's location.
  • GNC still is open. However unlike the Regent Mall location in Fredericton, they don't have "store closing" signs up and never did. Just their normal signage is displayed in the windows and inside the store. It makes me wonder if the Fredericton one is actually going to be eventually closing or something?

And like Taeolas mentioned in the above post, McAllister Place has changed their hours. They are now open:
  • Monday to Wednesday: 10am - 6pm.
  • Thursday to Friday: 10am - 8pm.
  • Saturday: 10am - 6pm.
  • Sunday: 12pm - 5pm.

Other than this, I haven't noticed anything else that was new/different since my last update. The units that were vacant/temporarily leased pre-covid, still are. Holiday pop-up season is approaching soon, so we should see some pop-ups set up shop soon. I think it will be the usual pop-ups like last year (Hickory Farms, Calendar Club, Just Cozy, and PYT Hair).
  • Calendar Club will probably be in their usual unit (next to The Children's Place and Foot Locker).
  • PYT Hair already have a unit that they've already had all set up, (back in February), in the former Karma Spa spot next to Lids.
  • As for Hickory Farms and Just Cozy, they were both kiosks located in the main hall last year, so not sure if they will be again this year or if they will take actual units this year. We will have to wait and see.

Another thing I would like to mention is that the newly developed part of the mall looks amazing. That section, (the former Sears), is really open and spacious. Urban Planet, The Brick, and Mark's are an excellent addition to McAllister Place! Overall, I've noticed that the mall looks more updated and modern now (compared to years ago). Pretty much all of the stores (inside and out) don't look dated or anything. And the overall exterior of the mall looks more up to date as well. To me, in my opinion, I think McAllister Place may be the most updated looking out of the big 3 malls here in NB.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Aug 25, 2020 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:29 PM

As far as Popups in Regent, I do wonder if they will try to get some of them down at the Brick end now. The corridor is nice and wide, and there is a bit of an atrium at the Brick/Urban Planet entrance.

But I don't know if there would be enough traffic down there for a kiosk to want to set up there.

The Food Court overflow is in the old Just Cozy location, so they'll probably set up a kiosk; I could see them setting up in the new area (basically where Just Engraved used to be).

Hickory Farms and Calendar Club/Games usually set up in the old mall area, and I don't see that changing. If they shrink the Santa area a little, there should be more space for them, not that they need the space. (Still the ornament shop and similar kiosks might squeeze an extra one in there). I could see Calendar Club taking over one of the empty spots; David's Tea or Alia's maybe. Justice's space feels a bit big for them.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
As far as Popups in Regent, I do wonder if they will try to get some of them down at the Brick end now. The corridor is nice and wide, and there is a bit of an atrium at the Brick/Urban Planet entrance.

But I don't know if there would be enough traffic down there for a kiosk to want to set up there.

The Food Court overflow is in the old Just Cozy location, so they'll probably set up a kiosk; I could see them setting up in the new area (basically where Just Engraved used to be).

Hickory Farms and Calendar Club/Games usually set up in the old mall area, and I don't see that changing. If they shrink the Santa area a little, there should be more space for them, not that they need the space. (Still the ornament shop and similar kiosks might squeeze an extra one in there). I could see Calendar Club taking over one of the empty spots; David's Tea or Alia's maybe. Justice's space feels a bit big for them.

Yeah, it would be cool if some kiosks set up in the new section (same for McAllister here in SJ), but I guess that will depend on foot traffic and if they want to setup there. (At McAllister Place, that area is also a big wide spacious "atrium" like at Regent. I think the foot traffic is good in front of our new section of the mall. You get the foot traffic from the Marshalls/HomeSense hallway as well as the traffic from Urban Planet, Mark's and The Brick in that area). Not sure about the foot traffic there in Regent.

Regarding Calendar Club, the Justice space may be a bit big for them. The one here in SJ usually sets up in a space that's 2,508sq.ft. The former Justice space there in Freddy is 3,543sq.ft. I think they like a space that's between 2,000sq.ft. and 3,000sq.ft. The former David's Tea is too small I think (772sq.ft.). Alia N TanJay is possibility (it's 2,001sq.ft.).

As for Just Cozy, probably a kiosk like the SJ one was last year. Hickory Farms and the ornament shop (Santa'Ville), might be kiosks as well. But some of these pop-ups may want to take a unit if the size is what they want/need. I guess we will have to wait and see who sets up where.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:48 AM

Someone on FB is reporting that People's in Regent is going to be closing; warranty and service work will have to go to Moncton now.

I'm not too surprised; it feels like we have too many jewelry stores in Regent; but it is sad to see a retailer that's been here forever pulling out. I think People's has been in Regent since before most of the expansions.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 8:35 PM

This was posted over on Retail Talk & Share NB. A little status update of McAllister Place.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690...8283503071010/

Quote:
"- Just Cozy is opening next week in the former Alia N Tan Jay spot (next to Reitmans). Another member has already posted a pic of it ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690502684515770/permalink/2838068626425831/ )

- While walking by the available unit between Laura Secord and Lids (former Karma Spa), I've noticed that PYT Hair's sign that was in the window (for months) is now gone. Are they now not opening this holiday season? or are they going to be in a different spot now?

- Razed Rite (a men's hair salon) still has coming soon signs in the window of the unit between Bell Aliant and EB Games (former D&S Hair). They were supposed to open back on Sept.14th but unfortunately they won't be opening any time soon due to lack of stylists available to work. (They have receptionists but were unlucky in finding stylists). Hopefully they can find staff and can open soon.

- Other than these three things, there isn't really anything else new/different since my last visit a few weeks ago. There is still the 6-7 units (plus 1 food court spot) available/empty. (Which most of these spaces have been empty/not leased since pre-covid). Holiday pop-up season is soon/starting so hopefully some of these spots will be leased soon. Just Cozy already setting up in a spot, so now it leaves Calendar Club (which might take their usual unit between Foot Locker and The Children's Place), and Hickory Farms (which is usually a kiosk but might be an actual unit this year due to covid. An actual unit might be easier for them to be able to maintain and keep track of the number of customers). I'm not sure if there will be other pop-ups or new stores coming soon? But I think it will just be these 3 like it usually is every year.

- Also while looking on Primaris' website, I've noticed that they've updated the floor plans for McAllister Place and Regent Mall (first time since February 2020). Productivity (sales per square foot) in July was $360 for McAllister and $490 for Regent. Obviously these numbers are lower than usual due to the covid shutdown and pandemic still going on. Hopefully these numbers will bounce back sometime soon."

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:22 PM

End of September Regent Status

Just wandered around a bit today and noted the following:

* After possibly their longest period outside the mall, Just Cozy is back. They've set up in the Alia/Tanjay slot.

* David's Tea has a construction wall up. No signs indicating what is going there though.

* Peoples and Justice are closed up, leaving that section of the mall empty.

* Telus is renovating their corner.

* The two corners of the food court are still empty. One (the old Cozy spot) is overflow seating, the other (near Rogers) is still empty with no signs of life.

* I didn't go far enough to look at the hairdresser near Walmart. As far as I know they are still scheduled to reopen eventually.

There's no sign of the seasonal popups yet, but I'm sure they'll be showing up soon. The old mall section (Sports Check to Walmart) where they usually popup is more than big and empty enough for them to open with COVID spacing. But I could see Calendar Club maybe taking Peoples or Justice spaces.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
[B]

* I didn't go far enough to look at the hairdresser near Walmart. As far as I know they are still scheduled to reopen eventually.

There's no sign of the seasonal popups yet, but I'm sure they'll be showing up soon. The old mall section (Sports Check to Walmart) where they usually popup is more than big and empty enough for them to open with COVID spacing. But I could see Calendar Club maybe taking Peoples or Justice spaces.
- Razed Rite has already opened back on September 19th. Link to some pics of the new salon: https://facebook.com/story.php?story...971256714&_rdr

- And a new store was announced to be coming to Regent Mall. It will be called Scrubs Plus. Oromocto Safety And Industry Supply is the company opening this new store. I believe it may be going in the former Justice spot but not entirely sure. We will have to wait and see. Link to the announcement: https://facebook.com/story/graphql_p...MzE2MTQ1NjM%3D

EDIT: Found this post from them. Scrubs Plus will be located in the current Envy spot. Then after March their permanent home will be the former Alia N Tan Jay (currently Just Cozy).

Quote:
"We can now confirm our location until march will be in the current Envy location and in march we will move to our permanent home at previous Alia Tanjay, where Just Cozy is currently. We are excited as we will have a large store to hold all your favorite brands of scrubs, shoes and accessories."
Link: https://www.facebook.com/42892110785...27510584665741

Last edited by DyAm00394; Sep 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:49 PM

Le Chateau files for bankruptcy and will start liquidating shortly.

This is a blow to all 3 of the big malls in NB.

For Regent, it's a big empty spot next to the food court. Since Regent is mostly full already, I suspect it will be able to fill it in relatively quick at least.

Looks like it's near the food court for McAllistar as well, so it should be high traffic and relatively easy to refill.

Champlain, it's a bit off the main track. That could make it harder to replace. Though it has an empty spot next to it (currently with Calendar club) so a bigger combined unit may make it easier to sell.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A liquidation sale in the pre-Christmas period will make it harder for other retailers too, since this is their high holy season to make money and try to survive during the lean cold winter months ahead.

It will be interesting to see who else falls in the post Christmas doldrums. I expect further carnage as many retailer simply give up the ghost in the not too distant future...…….

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:54 PM
ハルウララ

Forgive my ignorance but I thought Le Chateau filed for bankruptcy years ago. It had been teetering forever.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Forgive my ignorance but I thought Le Chateau filed for bankruptcy years ago. It had been teetering forever.
I know. The difference this time is that they aren't even going to try and restructure. They're just turning off the lights...…...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces