HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 10:31 AM

It's a complete debacle, just as I expected.

This was a completely political move which made no sense from an operational standpoint.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 3:41 PM
Honored Member

More job losses for Nova Scotia. I hope this experiment with the NDP will come to an end soon. They showed their idiocy when they alienated the business community with the First Contract legislation. What is their sales pitch now? How about "Come to Nova Scotia, the province where business leaders are ignored and unions rule".

I have seen job gains and population growth in the HRM go from almost booming, even during a time of recession in 2008, to being stagnant once again. Thank you Darrell Dexter.

(source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...mployment-rate )
Quote:
June job losses leave N.S. with 9.6% unemployment rate
July 6, 2012 - 10:55am By JOHN DEMONT Business Reporter

Nova Scotia lost 3,600 full-time jobs last month, allowing the political opposition to heap scorn upon the Dexter government’s economic policies.

Figures released Friday by Statistics Canada show that about 362,600 Nova Scotians had full-time jobs in June, compared to roughly 366,200 a month earlier.

The pushes the number of full-time jobs lost in the province to 5,800 during the past 12 months, according to the Statistics Canada numbers.

The June job drop nudged the province’s unemployment rate to 9.6 per cent, third-highest in the country.

“Darrell Dexter’s failed experiment with the highest taxes in Canada and a power plan that leads to higher rates are costing our communities and families dearly,” Nova Scotia Conservative Leader Jamie Baillie said in a press release.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 11:29 PM

I heard Joanie Jessome on the radio this week and it made me wonder what Dexter & co. are now thinking about their union friends. She was positively smug when she was bragging about how all but 5 of her members refused to move. One would have thought that when the govt handed the union the keys to the treasury and pushed through legislation like first-contract arbitration, that they imagined they would get a little slack cut in return when they wanted to do something with the provincial civil service. Obviously that wasn't the case and the NDP are learning that with big labor, it's all take, take, take. Joanie's attitude must really burn their butts.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy