HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:46 PM

Toronto Retail and Restaurants Thread

The Raging Spoon Community Centre on Queen West will be converted into commercial retail usage.

http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-e...61-queen-st-w/

Quote:
In Sept. 2011, R & B Properties owner Daniel Rumack purchased the space from the Toronto United Church Council, however, the current tenants will remain onsite until their lease ends in Dec. 2012. The current landlord for 651 Queen St. W. (formerly the Big Bop), Rumack was instrumental in turning the space into a branch of Crate & Barrel’s sister store CB2, which will be opening up at Queen and Bathurst in the next few months. Similiarly, he will be looking to convert 761 Queen St. W. into a commercial retail property.
Quote:
There has already been a great deal of interest from prospective tenants since Rumack’s acquisition a few months ago, but for the most part it has been smaller companies, like coffee shops, looking to find a home in the property. Rumack is not interested in turning the former church into a condo and he’s stated that he would like to see one big retailer take over the majority of the space rather than divvy up the large building. R & B Properties has currently hired the Northwest Atlantic real-estate consulting firm—which represents everyone from Adidas and Apple to The Gap and Whole Foods—to canvas the market and find a suitable future tenant. Rumack is hoping to secure one in the next six months.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:49 PM

Nice thread travis!!! Should check that out!

Haven you been to the Atrium on Bay?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:59 PM

^ Yes, I actually work right beside the Atrium. I walk through the concourse level almost everyday when coming out from Dundas subway station.

Speaking of which, there's discussion on UrbanToronto about an expansion to the complex. Zoning plans were submitted for an additional 5 storeys to be added to the existing building. There are also rumours regarding a possible Target Store as part of the new plans.

Check this page for more info:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/12/...ent-atrium-bay

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
^ Yes, I actually work right beside the Atrium. I walk through the concourse level almost everyday when coming out from Dundas subway station.

Speaking of which, there's discussion on UrbanToronto about an expansion to the complex. Zoning plans were submitted for an additional 5 storeys to be added to the existing building. There are also rumours regarding a possible Target Store as part of the new plans.

Check this page for more info:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/12/...ent-atrium-bay
Good to hear. Will check out later.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:12 PM

Toronto Burbs (Oshawa) but whatever

http://www.downtownoshawanews.com/?p=1713

Quote:
Stuttering John’s is a new restaurant located in the heart of downtown Oshawa on Simcoe Street South.

Johnathon Boville, the owner of Stuttering John’s Bistro Bar owns his own catering business Three Star Catering, but has decided it was time to open up his own restaurant.

Whether ordering a cup of coffee or a Main Course meal, the most you will spend on your dinner is $16. Some of the popular meals on the menu consist of Maple Dijon Salmon, Smoky BBQ Ribs and a Seared Steak served with brandy peppercorn sauce.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 1:04 AM

Has anyone visited the new flagship Loblaws store at the redeveloped MLG yet?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Has anyone visited the new flagship Loblaws store at the redeveloped MLG yet?
I'll check it out on Wednesday and get back to you.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:59 AM
gettin' rich!

I went there tonight. That place is crazy busy. Live music, lots of sit down eateries, people are actually going to this supermarket just to hang out.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:15 PM

The Maple Leaf Gardens/Loblaws is buzzing. Definitely the new hotspot, place to be. Overall very impressed with the revitalization project. This will definitely increase pedestrian traffic in this area, which has been a dead zone since the Leafs moved to the ACC.

Taller, Better offers an excellent photo tour on SSC:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6#post86310546

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 2:03 PM

Rumour is Target is looking to put a 4 storey urban concept store in downtown Toronto. Looks like it will be in one of the new builds...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Rumour is Target is looking to put a 4 storey urban concept store in downtown Toronto. Looks like it will be in one of the new builds...
Dear god, please let it not be 501 Yonge. I could see it doing well in the vicinity of Yonge-Dundas Square. I hear that the World's Biggest Bookstore sight is a potential location for big box (sitting under a supertall I hope ).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:56 PM

It's not 501, in fact its not on Yonge street at all.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 8:18 PM

Don't tell me it's that RioCan project near Kensington...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Retail-Insider

Henri Bendel will open its first Canadian location at Toronto's Sherway Gardens: http://www.retail-insider.com/2012/0...ada-first.html

"NYC-based Henri Bendel will open a 3212 square foot store at Toronto's Sherway Gardens shopping centre. Several other Canadian locations in the works. The store will be located in a new north-end mall expansion that will include a new Holt Renfrew store, Sporting Life, Harry Rosen, and a new French luxury goods retailer that we'll announce tomorrow."

And just for you readers on this site, tomorrow's 'French luxury goods retailer' announcement will be a free-standing Louis Vuitton at Sherway Gardens. Not to mention a Burberry store next to it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 2:10 PM

Considering the bulk of the Sherway expansion won't be open until late 2015 I would be surprised if it ended up being the first actual store in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:48 PM
Retail-Insider

Quote:
Considering the bulk of the Sherway expansion won't be open until late 2015 I would be surprised if it ended up being the first actual store in Canada.
Agreed. It would have been more accurate if we said it's the first Bendel lease to be signed in Canada. Other locations could open earlier (we hear Toronto Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, Vancouver's Pacific Centre and Calgary's Chinook Centre are all contenders).

As well, Louis Vuitton is opening at Sherway Gardens: http://www.retail-insider.com/2012/0...-torontos.html

"Louis Vuitton will open a free-standing, 2068 square foot store in a new northward expansion of Toronto's Sherway Gardens shopping centre. The store will join other exciting new retailers that we will announce Friday morning (including a detailed map of the mall's expansion/new tenants). Louis Vuitton's opening at Sherway positions the mall as one of the top in Canada, if not North America."

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Turns out it will be the podium for Harbour Plaza Residences! They shouldn't do too badly there. There are a lot of condos going up in the area, and not much other retail.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:03 PM

Yep, good to see it finally more or less public.

Could make the lease up of the office component tougher as having a giant bullseye on the podium will cheapen the product. I'm sure they'll get it leased though.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 1:35 PM

As weird it may seems, when I am in the mood to try something, I pick one of the restaurants in this guy's list: http://jamiesarner.com/toronto-restaurant-reviews/. I am really fond of European food, but I am looking forward to try some Japanese dishes (I read Haruki Murakami's books and he mentions the food that the characters eat way too often.)

Since I really love Italian food, among my top favourite restaurants are:

Trattoria Giancarlo’s
Little Italy, 41 Clinton Street at College

Mercatto
330 Bay Street

La Bettola di Terroni
Downtown, 106 Victoria Street

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:56 PM

The building signage is brutal

WHOLE FOODS MARKET® OPENS ITS NEW LEASIDE STORE IN TORONTO

New Whole Foods Market Leaside Breaks Bread with Family, Friends and Neighbours

TORONTO, 2017-Apr-27 — /EPR Retail News/ — Whole Foods Market® will open its new Leaside store, located at 1860 Bayview Ave. in Toronto, Wednesday, April 26, at 9 a.m. The 45,100 square-foot store marks the sixth location in the greater Toronto area.

“Whole Foods Market Leaside will be a one-stop-shop for kitchen creators, featuring the best tasting natural and organic grocery staples as well as that hard-to-find ingredient,” says Cristina DosSantos, Store Team Leader, Whole Foods Market Leaside. “For shoppers on-the-go, we’ll have a variety of delicious meals from our chef-driven prepared food options such as seasonal salads, custom sandwiches, traditional and modern tacos and Neapolitan-style pizza, all made without artificial colours, preservatives and sweeteners.”

The new Whole Foods Market features a variety of delicious prepared foods venues as well as classic Whole Foods Market favourites for shoppers to choose from, including:

Taco Station will feature custom tacos, burritos and bowls made with the freshest ingredients.
Sandwich and Burger Station will highlight delicious burger creations and crispy fries; as well as signature, handcrafted sandwiches piled with the best tasting natural and organic offerings.
Neapolitan Style Self-Service Pizza will offer slices made with unbleached and unbromated flour and cooked in less than seven minutes.
Coffee Bar will feature light, medium and dark roasted coffees, espresso drinks and blended beverages, and smoothies.
Freshly made sushi will offer a variety of specialty rolls, including those made with brown or whole grain rice created in-house by experts.
Salad and Hot Bars will emphasize freshly prepared salads, build-your-own salad fixings and seasonal hot entrees.
Bulk Department will provide dried back-to-basics pantry items to meet all novice and experienced chef needs.
Full Scratch Bakery will highlight a wide variety of freshly baked breads and pastries, including croissants, muffins, cookies, cakes and more.

http://eprretailnews.com/2017/04/27/...6765123465789/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto