HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 1:56 PM

Pretty much every city in China except for Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:08 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i regretfully missed an opportunity to stop in taipei once, but my appreciation of taiwanese food has grown since

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:17 PM

Santiago is like the San Diego of South America. It's clean, modern, great climate, and probably a comfortable place to live. But it is not a very exciting city.

Salvador, Bahia, Brazil is a very overlooked city. It is one of the most fascinating places I've ever visited.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:24 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I’ve commented before, but I think Naples is the most overlooked city in the world. 4 million people, one of largest historic centers of Europe, distinct culture, beautiful surroundings. Barcelona is hyped to extreme while Naples are forgotten.

Came here to say the same thing. One of Europe's most urban, historic, beautiful, and authentic big cities, yet inexplicably off the beaten tourist path (a good thing for the city though).

https://www.bookmundi.com/t/what-to-...t-not-miss/amp

https://getbybus.com/en/blog/naples/

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/77124212348219239/

https://www.pinterest.ca/amp/pin/523825000380661336/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74730395@N02/28565082638

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:36 PM

Naples is much sketchier-looking than Barcelona. It looks downright intimidating in parts.

But yeah, Naples is definitely underrated (and I think Barcelona is somewhat overrated, but that's another thread). Naples has ridiculously interesting neighborhoods, museums and historic sites, if you have any love of history.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:46 PM
你的媽媽

Naples definitely has the best pizza in Europe.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:56 PM

bizarrely was just taking part in a random verbal conversation where someone brought up naples regarding how “bad” it is. something about how its full of gangsters or something i have no
idea.

not the first time ive heard it shat upon. usually by chicagoland suburbanites for whatever reason.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:12 PM
sick transit, gloria

I've wanted to visit Naples badly ever since watching "Hands Over the City" by Francesco Rosi. Friends who have been report that it is fascinating and highly recommend going, but indeed a bit dodgy in parts. This includes my best friend who I traveled to South Africa with (and loved downtown Joburg), so I imagine the reputation has at least some validity.

Last edited by niwell; Jul 31, 2020 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I've wanted to visit Naples badly ever since watching "Hands Over the City" by Francesco Rosi. Friends who have been report that it is fascinating and highly recommend going, but indeed a bit dodgy in parts. This includes my best friend who I traveled to South Africa with (and loved downtown Joburg), so I imagine the reputation has at least validity.
i’m always more interested in a european city when its invoked. i’m used to a very in-your-face, post-apocalyptic type of disorder so like a nuanced, fine grained charles dickens type warren of thieves sounds kind of cool.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I've wanted to visit Naples badly ever since watching "Hands Over the City" by Francesco Rosi. Friends who have been report that it is fascinating and highly recommend going, but indeed a bit dodgy in parts. This includes my best friend who I traveled to South Africa with (and loved downtown Joburg), so I imagine the reputation has at least validity.
My own experience in central Naples kind of aligns with this, although it was about 10 years ago now so it may have changed.

During the day, it was bustling - seemingly packed with tourists and residents alike. There was no reason to feel insecure. I spent quite a bit of time walking around the central parts of the city, clearly a tourist with my camera, and it was consistently fine.

As soon as the sun set, it was almost as if someone flipped a metaphorical switch. The streets were quasi-deserted. Even car traffic died down considerably. It was... strange and not exactly comfortable.

That being said, that's part of what sets it apart from Rome and Milan, even part of Naples' charm, if you will. It wasn't sanitized or manicured (I was there shortly after the waste collection strike, so there's that). It's a cool city and I recommend a visit.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:38 PM

i never hear about montreal other then people ive talked to that say its a cool place. its about the same up north located as oregon, its so far away though. ill never be able to go there probably. i guess i hear about west canada cities more because its closer, montreal is probably well known on the east coast.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:56 PM

The correct answer is. . . Winnipeg. . . [/thanksforplaying]

. . .

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:47 PM

Gotta thumbs up the folks saying Taipei. Taiwan / Taipei is my favorite place on earth. They just do everything so well...the people are incredible, progressive, friendly. Bonkers good food.

Colombia's cities are close runners up. Bogotá and Medellin. Had annual trips to both places canceled this year =\

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Gotta thumbs up the folks saying Taipei. Taiwan / Taipei is my favorite place on earth. They just do everything so well...the people are incredible, progressive, friendly. Bonkers good food.

Colombia's cities are close runners up. Bogotá and Medellin. Had annual trips to both places canceled this year =\
Naples seems like an urban fetishist fantasy. Definitely need to go there.

Medellin seems far more appealing to me than Bogota. If I do a major 2 weeks trip to Colombia, I'll skip Bogota if I have to choose. It looks very gray and depressing in the photos I've seen.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:01 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Antwerp, Belgium. The built environment of its urban core has a nice scale and design (although a bit nondescript architecturally), and it's quite large for a city of its size. Explore on Google Street View to see what I mean.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Naples seems like an urban fetishist fantasy. Definitely need to go there.

Medellin seems far more appealing to me than Bogota. If I do a major 2 weeks trip to Colombia, I'll skip Bogota if I have to choose. It looks very gray and depressing in the photos I've seen.
Bogota is actually a reasonably nice city though it has a surprising amount of almost British-esque architecture so not what's you'd expect in a Spanish-speaking Latin American capital. The weather is also atypical (or non-stereotypical) and very mild year-round as in not-very-hot, with averages even in the warmest months barely above 20C or 70F IIRC.

Last edited by Acajack; Jul 31, 2020 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:23 PM

I was supposed to go to Naples in March. Never happened of course.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:34 PM

Hamburg

Even though it's among the largest (and most interesting, imo) cities/metros in the EU, it seems to be an afterthought.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Prettier than the similarly-sized Belgrade, but much less lively and avant-garde.
Wasn't most of Belgrade obliterated in WW II? I passed through there on the train from Salzburg to Athens a long time ago and I don't recall it being very attractive at all.

Salzburg, by the way, doesn't get talked about here a lot but it's a gem.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I’ve commented before, but I think Naples is the most overlooked city in the world. 4 million people, one of largest historic centers of Europe, distinct culture, beautiful surroundings. Barcelona is hyped to extreme while Naples are forgotten.
Naples earns bonus points for its proximity to the most beautiful inhabited coast on planet earth (Amalfi).

Four trips so far to Amalfi/Sorrento/Napoli including one honeymoon. I've visited almost every slice of Italy which is clearly, by every metric, the most delicious country on the third rock from the sun.

The only thing wrong with Italy, is that dreaded limoncello liqueur... get rid of it and you have a perfect 10.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions