HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I feel like this type of corruption isn't that surprising unfortunately, did anyone actually expect the new tallest (333 fig) to get built anyway?

I wonder if they'll keep trying though, or at least try to get the project approved.
I have an even better location. How about they move the whole project down to the Smart & Finals on Fig? That would be the perfect location for the next tallest in LA, still keeps the Peak type skyline we've all grown to love.

Everyone here knows i hate that smart and finals it needs to go and it needs to go now. Something tall would be nice. 1200+ footer would fit perfect.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I have an even better location. How about they move the whole project down to the Smart & Finals on Fig? That would be the perfect location for the next tallest in LA, still keeps the Peak type skyline we've all grown to love.

Everyone here knows i hate that smart and finals it needs to go and it needs to go now. Something tall would be nice. 1200+ footer would fit perfect.
THAT would be the PERFECT location! It needs a tower! Get rid of the parking garage behind it, too!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:30 PM

Dtla view

Have not not posted a vid in 10 years. But here’s one from the balcony.

https://vimeo.com/445583936

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post

Good stuff. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:

Ohhh, we live in the same building!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Nice. We're almost neighbors. I'm 2 blocks away.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
Ohhh, we live in the same building!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Nice. We're almost neighbors. I'm 2 blocks away.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:

I hope everyone realizes that dtla, regrettably, has had high vacancy rates for at least over 20, 30 yrs.

yea, it's fun to dream, but if dreams aren't based on some reality, then they set ppl up for major disappointment.

carolina journal

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 9:49 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Moderator Edit: sorry gang, been a long week at work (still going!) so wasn't on the forums yesterday. City vs. City and Country vs. Country posts are purely prohibited. I issued a user warning and will suspend/ban as needed moving forward.

Carry on with respect for each other and stay on topic. Construction projects in downtown LA. It's a relatively simple topic. Thanks!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 10:03 PM

I would say those who live in downtown we should all meet for an social distancing outdoor beer but I don’t know if that is a good idea 😂

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I would say those who live in downtown we should all meet for an social distancing outdoor beer but I don’t know if that is a good idea ������
Let’s try for October.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 3:24 AM

Quote:

Rockin view, thanks

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Let’s try for October.

Sounds good. Let’s plan it as it gets closer. Octoberfest 2020 😷

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Sounds good. Let’s plan it as it gets closer. Octoberfest 2020 😷
I'm down

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 1:51 AM

I haven't been to a SSP meetup in 14 years.

I was 15 years older than everyone else back then, but everyone should have just about caught up by now.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:07 AM

Exclamation

How about those of us who have friends that live downtown and also work downtown......

PLEASE DONT MAKE ME BEG ! I WANT TO COME TOO ! i'll behave honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I hope everyone realizes that dtla, regrettably, has had high vacancy rates for at least over 20, 30 yrs.

yea, it's fun to dream, but if dreams aren't based on some reality, then they set ppl up for major disappointment.
.....Well I wasn't necessarily thinking office space. I think collectively we've all accepted that mixed use will more or less be in LAs foreseeable future and there's nothing wrong with that. We still, somewhat, are short hotel space and we are still 30 years deep in a housing crisis that isn't going anywhere so anything is possible. If developers find a way to pencil in 10-20% of office space into new construction, I think that would be perfect. Another thing to remember is that LAs Downtown Office space is still very much so stuck in the 90s with its floor plans, meanwhile newer west side, culver city, and other office space is getting snatched up left and right. The floor plans just make more sense for what corporations want to do these days. Big, open, bright and inclusive. Not cubicles.

Last edited by caligrad; Aug 11, 2020 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Another thing to remember is that LAs Downtown Office space is still very much so stuck in the 90s with its floor plans, meanwhile newer west side, culver city, and other office space is getting snatched up left and right. The floor plans just make more sense for what corporations want to do these days. Big, open, bright and inclusive. Not cubicles.
partly true, but office space has been leased up faster & to higher capacity than the space in dtla has been for over 25 yrs. Some of that is due to more ppl who decide where their offices are located & know where more of their employees live tend to prefer areas miles west of dtla...west of la cienega.

a bit of change more recently with warner music moving from burbank to the arts dist in dtla....but that has been the exception to the rule.

the main problem is dtla has been surrounded by traditionally marginal hoods....some of them having been aimed at lower income ppl for over 90 yrs. Then the flight to the burbs made the lack of competitiveness of dtla even worse. some of that was starting to change when urbanism became more popular over the past 5-10 yrs....but covid-19 has possibly pushed that back several yrs, maybe even a few decades.

Lots of cities are entering uncharted waters right now, all over the US & world. however, dtla sunk about as far as any city could fall from around the 1950s, 1960s until more recently, yet it somehow managed to reinvent itself starting mainly during the past 10 yrs. But the national & world lockdown may end up pushing dt back to the future.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 12:07 AM

Can we stop beating this topic to death lol. A new tallest doesn't have to equate to being an office building, our current tallest isn't even an office building. I don't think anyone on here will be upset if our next tallest is a hotel or condo building or something mixed use. We have residential and mixed use towers around the world already topping 1500 feet lol so what's the issue?? LA will be fine, neighborhoods change, circumstances change, economies change and gentrification happens. Downtown will be fine, at this point, people will live and work almost anywhere and the expo line linking the west side with downtown has made that scenario much more likely and feasible.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
How about those of us who have friends that live downtown and also work downtown......

PLEASE DONT MAKE ME BEG ! I WANT TO COME TOO ! i'll behave honest.
Everyone is welcome!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:11 AM

Speaking of a new tallest in LA, where do you guys think it’ll rise and where would you like to see it rise? As for myself, I’m one of the few that still believe that the LA Grand Hotel Tower will happen and want it to happen. If it doesn’t come to fruition, I would like to have our next tallest at the NW corner of 6th and Hope. Imagine driving on the 101 south coming from Hollywood and seeing the tower sandwiched between the US Bank Tower and Wilshire Grand. That will be epic especially if it’s a 1300 footer topped with a spire right down the middle of the tower, unlike the Wilshire Grand. Or how about this, instead of a 1300’ skyscraper what if they can get it to 1781 feet? The year Los Angeles was founded. We could be the next city with the tallest skyscraper in the US. LA deserves something special. It feels good to dream lol. Besides, having the next tallest on 6th and Hope will certainly align our skyline since it sits right in the middle of the skyscrapers in DTLA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations