HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 1:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Someone shoot Sloane, i heard a comment that she wished the developers to provide a few floors for low income housing. This lady has got to go
I guess she's getting tired of her current house and wants a condo with a view.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:56 AM

I can't disagree with her. As... convoluted , as she seems sometimes, I have a feeling she's a reader of Jane Jacobs, I would hope so with a comment like that, and (I can't believe I'm defending her) having a counsellor in there that reads the Urban Saint, is a step in the right direction. Just not her. Uteck though... I might mail her one of my books.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Even if mixed low income housing were the way to go, randomly asking this developer to include it is unfair. They have to compete with other developments, none of which provide artificially low cost housing without government subsidy.

The whole "what are you going to do for me?" attitude that surrounds private property development is ridiculous. Private developers are out to make money like everybody else. It's not their job to provide low income housing, parkland, etc. They (and everybody else) pay taxes to the province and to the HRM for that.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 7:00 AM

Quote:
"Instead of pointing at the Fenwick Towers and saying, 'Look how ugly tall buildings are,' now people will be able to say, 'Look at this project, and look how beautiful we can make projects in Halifax,'" he said.
Let's just hope hes not talking about building somthing like those big brick housing projects you see in chicago lol

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 1:42 PM
Closed account

More details about this project are in an article about Condo construction in the Herald today.

I posted it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...86#post3340186

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:30 PM

You beat me to it...lol
So it seems this is gonna be 19 storeys instead of 18 and he wants to start construction this fall! I really look forward to seeing the design.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:53 PM
You talkin' to me?

Has anybody seen a rendering of this project at all? If it's to start in the autumn, they must have some plans draw out by now.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:10 AM

good news guys, within the next 6 months there should be some exciting developments for this site

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:34 AM

Yah? any details you can let us in on?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 2:11 AM

Good to hear!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 2:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'd love to see a rendering of this as well. I like the idea of a major building on this key site. I hope the design treats the corner appropriately and avoids any kind of "tower-in-the-park" feel.

It's understandable that not much has been released for this when it is being developed as-of-right.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:45 AM

development is scheduled to start this fall, which means demolition and excavation for site preparation, you won't see cranes until after the winter.. because of that, the design is still being tweaked (as far as architectural impact) the massing study is complete (what's the most effecient/economical size/unit count), now the 'what it looks like' is the next step, and now it's just a matter of coming to grip on how to treat the mixed use aspect of the site.

it is a bit early to tell, but it is generally going to model itself off of the tower on top of a podium design, and is going to incorporate all of the latest urban design guidelines with respects to setbacks, roof lines on the human scale at the street, including retail on the ground level accessible to/from the street (generally 1500-4000 sq ft spaces) for cafe's etc.... this project is going to definitely be the type of building which is going to highlight the beautiful gateway of brunswick and cogswell, and hopefully shift a bit of the downtown feel to merge with the beautiful north end community.. and to respond to one of the concerns about 'hopefully not building a brick monster' ... our attraction is to precast and glass.. we want to utilize the beauty of curtain walls as much as possible... this type of finish is much more expensive then traditional brick.. but lets face it.. is so much cooler looking, and interesting

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOJOE View Post
our attraction is to precast and glass.. we want to utilize the beauty of curtain walls as much as possible... this type of finish is much more expensive then traditional brick.. but lets face it.. is so much cooler looking, and interesting
Uh oh, now you've done it... some of us here are very down on precast such as used on Salters Gate and the building whose name escapes me on Morris St just up from Barrington.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 10:56 AM

I agree bad color choice, and texture, but Keith it's important to note, with precast there are several textures, colors, and finishes which can be used, there are several precast buildings in town which look different, look at the W or barrington, or the paramount on south park.. even the martello has precast and all three buildings look different then the ones you've named.. regardless of this, precast remains undoubtedly the highest quality finish product around far superior to brick.. as far as looks go, I also think it's a much nicer product to work with and look at.. but hey.. everyone has their preferences..

p.s i know not alot of people like the fake stone product, but I used it a few years ago when i built the Harwick (behind the oxford theatre) and I'v recieved nothing but praise.. I think it looks great myself aswell.. and i think that goes to show how the exterior clading has to work with the design and complement the setting of the building..

Last edited by JONOJOE; Jun 27, 2008 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:20 PM

I actaully don't mind the precast if its done right. Just as long as its not brick. There have been way to many brick buildings bulit lately. Just look down Cunard st its the land of brick. Nothing against brick but there is just way to much of it in this city.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't think there are "bad" materials.. the materials just need to fit the design.

With precast specifically problems arise when developers pretend it is real stone. It's not - the detailing is not as precise as with older stone buildings in Halifax, the pieces are larger, and the colours and texture are not the same. If it is used to replicate an old stone building it therefore ends up looking like a caricature.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think there are "bad" materials.. the materials just need to fit the design.

With precast specifically problems arise when developers pretend it is real stone. It's not - the detailing is not as precise as with older stone buildings in Halifax, the pieces are larger, and the colours and texture are not the same. If it is used to replicate an old stone building it therefore ends up looking like a caricature.
Architects might call this being "true" to the materials. And I agree. Besides, if you rule out brick and precast... what does that leave you with?! Fake stone (tacky imitation). That weird concrete board being used on Spice (I'll reserve judgement for now). That horrible board and baton cladding on the new Hyrdostone Apartments. Shingles (only suited to residential). Claps (also only suited to residential). Titanium (only suited to buildings designed by Frank Gehry). Corrugated Metal (only suited to buildings designed by Brian MacKay). Stone (only suited to developers with scads of money). The only practical alternative is probably pre-cast. And there have been some nice buildings done with pre-cast.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Excellent point.

Just to add to that;

With regards to design.
Pre-cast molds are needed (obvious) to construct the panel. If the developer can minimize the number of different molds needed then the building becomes cheaper to construct through efficiencies. This can mean that designs are changed/ altered/ purposely designed to facilitate more common panels. That being said there is nothing wrong with it at all and when done right can be very pleasing.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 8:42 PM
we built this city

Yeeehaww. The virtual city seems to be coming a reality.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Excellent point.

Just to add to that;

With regards to design.
Pre-cast molds are needed (obvious) to construct the panel. If the developer can minimize the number of different molds needed then the building becomes cheaper to construct through efficiencies. This can mean that designs are changed/ altered/ purposely designed to facilitate more common panels. That being said there is nothing wrong with it at all and when done right can be very pleasing.
very good point.. the building i'm developing now in mounte royale (palace royale) is precast (i think the only precast residential building in clayton park) and we managed to design the effecincy in such a way to have only 6 different pannels...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth