HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:04 PM

Study shows concept drawings, proposed locations for new arena

Video Link

by: Jackie Kent
KRQE 13

A study is revealing what a new arena at the state fairgrounds could look like and where it could go.

Expo New Mexico General Manager Dan Mourning said Tingley Coliseum at the fairgrounds is too small and outdated to bring the big-name acts to Albuquerque. The thought here is that a more inviting arena that seats more people will draw more big-time events year-round.

“Obviously, we already have an arena here, but is that the best? That remains to be seen,” Mourning said. “All these big acts — they’re actually coming to Albuquerque — they’re just stopping at Love’s and grabbing a burrito and moving on through.”

A couple of years ago, the State Fair hired Populous, an internationally known arena designer, to study the idea of building a 15,000 seat arena at the fairgrounds.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 5:12 PM

UNM plans to build new hospital next to existing one

Patrick Hayes
KOB 4

The University of New Mexico is planning to build a new hospital next to the existing facility.

If the current plans are approved by committees and officials, construction can start next August.

UNM Hopital’s Chief Operating Officer Dr. Mike Chicarelli said the hospital needs some serious change.

"We've talked about the crowded and outdated operating suites built in 1954 and we know those spaces are very, very small,” Dr. Chicarelli said.

Chicarelli gave the hospital’s finance committee an update on plans to build a $400 million modern medical tower.

"So the design of the new tower, we would definitely want to create a space where we have backstage activity such as moving supplies, etc. and of course front stage activity which is patient flow, provider flow, etc.," he said.

The new tower will have 96 inpatient beds and 18 operating rooms.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:33 PM

A look at the future ‘Arrive Albuquerque,’ currently Hotel Blue
Video Link

by: Rebecca Atkins
KRQE 13

California group recently announced that the historic Hotel Blue on the edge of downtown will be getting millions of dollars in renovations. Now the public is getting a first glance at what that will look like.

“It’s a federal historic tax credit project to renovate the facade of the hotel to bring it back to that historic character. Most recently, it was Hotel Blue, but we’re bringing it back to the mid-century modern style,” said Ryan Mcculloch.

The bottom level will have a coffee shop and bar for guests when they check-in. Outside there will be a pool and a lawn area for games like bocce ball.

Ryan Mcculloch with Neighborhood Establishment says the hotel’s name will change to ‘Arrive Albuquerque.’ Their group is hoping this will bring even more change and development to the area.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:21 PM

Committee in talks about new Albuquerque soccer stadium
Video Link

by: Jackie Kent
KRQE 13

Plans for a new soccer stadium in Albuquerque could be moving forward.

Sellouts were common for the New Mexico United at Isotopes Park for the professional soccer team’s inaugural season. The city and the team have said all along that Albuquerque could use a real soccer stadium, and now, the state could be getting behind the idea, too.

United is contracted to spend at least one more year sharing a home field with the Isotopes. The team has said it’s been looking at other options for a future stadium of its own.

“It’s within our scope, it’s within our plans, we’re looking into it now and we definitely hope to have it in the next five years,” NM United Marketing Director Elizabeth Davis has told KRQE News 13.

Next week, the Economic and Rural Development Committee will look into the idea of pitching in to build a new soccer stadium.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:00 PM

ART buses hit the streets Nov. 30
Video Link

KRQE 13

On Friday, Mayor Tim Keller along with Chief Operating Officer Lawrence Rael, and Transit Director Danny Holcomb announced the Albuquerque Rapid Transit Project will begin service this month.

Mayor Keller announced that all 20 diesel-powered, 60-foot buses are now in the city and ART service will begin on November 30 on Small Business Saturday. During this time, passenger rides will be free of charge.

The Albuquerque Police Department will continue having a visible presence in the ART corridor during this time. They continue delivering citations to ensure commuters understand the ART corridor is now operational.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 12:24 AM

NM United seeking state funds for new stadium in Albuquerque
Fresh off a successful first season, the New Mexico United soccer team is looking for a place to call home.
An interim legislative committee will hear a pitch later this week for a new stadium in Albuquerque that would house New Mexico United and possibly a women’s professional soccer team.

The owner and president of the United wants to see the stadium built downtown, which I think would be a great catalyst to help in its revitalization. Hoping the state can help fund some of this to see it happen sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 8:03 PM

Hopefully this can get done within the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs11 View Post
Hopefully this can get done within the next few years.
Are there any favored spots downtown? I know that they tried to get the Isotopes to move there once upon a time.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 6:47 PM

The article said somewhere around the Rail Yards could be a possible location, which I think would be a great spot. The only plot of land big enough to fit it would be south of the main Rail Yards building and north of Avenida Cesar Chavez. That would really become a destination if they could tie the two together and create a district there.

Another option is the Sawmill neighborhood near I-40, and near Lomas and Broadway.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:50 AM

I've lurked on this thread for years and I've now registered and hope to help keep this thread as active as the other one at that other site. I'll kick off my contributions with a listing of the transit-oriented development along the new $135 million Albuquerque Rapid Transit line. It's estimated that it has the potential to stimulate $2 billion of such development.

That's a total of $725.5 million in known development costs. That's already more than a third of the way toward its estimated $2 billion in potential development. It represents 851 hotel rooms, 2,766 residential units, 403,419 sq ft of commercial space and 240,400 sq ft of office space.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:34 PM

That’s good info. You should add proposed floors/stories to give an idea how tall and visually impactful these projects are.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I've lurked on this thread for years and I've now registered and hope to help keep this thread as active as the other one at that other site. I'll kick off my contributions with a listing of the transit-oriented development along the new $135 million Albuquerque Rapid Transit line. It's estimated that it has the potential to stimulate $2 billion of such development.

That's a total of $725.5 million in known development costs. That's already more than a third of the way toward its estimated $2 billion in potential development. It represents 851 hotel rooms, 2,766 residential units, 403,419 sq ft of commercial space and 240,400 sq ft of office space.
Great stuff. The light rail has been a magnet for development here in Phoenix. I expect what is happening there will accelerate as people get used to depending on transit for some or most of their travel. It's a predictable metric for customers, which is in short supply during the Internet age.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:47 PM

Recently it was reported that UNM Hospital has the $595 million in funding in place to build its addition. Work is expected to begin by the middle of next year.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1394259/u...expansion.html

The addition is designed to eventually be expanded to 12 floors from the initial 7.

Presbyterian Hospital also recently received its last city approval necessary to begin construction on its $260 million addition to its main hospital downtown. Work is expected to begin early next year, possibly as soon as next month.

http://documents.cabq.gov/planning/d...019-002661.pdf

https://www.abqjournal.com/1338608/p...-patients.html

This is another project along the ART line, with the Presbyterian station sitting directly in front of the hospital and with The Highlands project underway across the street.

https://www.bradburystamm.com/work/i...nsit-%28art%29

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 8:14 PM

Winrock Town Center posted these pics on their Instagram account this past weekend showing the progress of its transformation. They show the new main road being built through the development, as well as the Level2 office space that is re-purposing the old Montgomery Ward location.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6EBNpul8i9/

Winrock Town Center also recently revealed plans for a new five-story hotel with 149 rooms. It will be a dual-branded Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott and TownePlace Suites by Marriott hotel.

https://www.krqe.com/news/business/w...d-public-park/

A six-story, 160-room Tapestry Collection by Hilton boutique hotel is also planned to eventually be built next to the park area on the site. 825 residential units are also planned in 5 separate projects throughout the site.

http://pegasusretail.catylist.com/li...erque-NM-87110

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:17 PM

It will be exciting to see a tower crane hopefully go up along I-25 with the construction of the new Presbyterian tower. There's something about tower cranes that make a city seem like it has healthy growth.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post

Wow! Thank you for putting that great list together! I've been lurking on this threat ever since I moved to ABQ as well only a few months ago. Driving around Albuquerque, there is a lot of construction going around.

I have lived in other cities with very active Skyscraper Forum threads and I am hoping we can get this thread more active for ABQ! I lived in Oklahoma City a few years ago, and that city is exploding right now. They have their own website devoted to development there. If you haven't checked it out, it's called OKCTalk.com. It has become so popular that the news cites it in print and tv stories. They have implemented a penny sales tax starting in the 90s to turn the struggling city around. Now, they are in their 4th iteration of the "MAPS" program that passed with a 72% of the vote. It has funded major projects there like a new professional ballpark, construction of a canal system downtown, new downtown library, downtown arena that now houses the OKC Thunder, a brand new convention center, a downtown streetcar system, a modern boathouse district along the Oklahoma River that now includes a world class Whitewater Rafting facility, among many other projects. It would be incredible to see something like this in Albuquerque to really help revitalize our city.

I love seeing all these projects under construction and planned. ABQ has a lot going for it, and I look forward to more quality developments around the city.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 9:55 PM

A story by KRQE about the Bricklight District across from UNM, which also talks about upcoming projects that should be revealed within the next two months. This will most likely be a new development on lots that were recently cleared south of the Bricklight Courtyards development.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...ight-district/

https://outofoffice.blog/albuquerque-new-mexico/

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 8:14 AM

Construction pic posted today by ABQurban on Instagram of the Marriott Springhill Suites hotel construction at The Highlands. You can also see the elevator cores for the Broadstone Highlands apartments construction in the background. ABQurban also says that the food hall portion of the project will be breaking ground soon as well.

https://www.instagram.com/abqurban/

A rendering of the completed project.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 1:37 AM

Aerial pics posted on Instagram showing the construction of TopGolf at I-25 and Montaño/Montgomery in Albuquerque.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6d1f6NlP6L/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 10:27 PM

Construction pics of the Nuevo Atrisco TOD project at the western terminus of the ART line:

https://www.facebook.com/yeshousing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest