HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 10:59 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for posting your pictures, tripeachpunk. Was the lighthouse open when you were there?

Whoops. I meant tribeachpunk

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 28, 2010 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 11:02 PM

you're welcome

no, it wasn't open

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 12:42 AM
Salty Town

Excellent photos tirbeachpunk ......you really captured what it is like to be there.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeachpunk View Post
I took an almost identical picture whileI was over there. It is now framed and on my wall

I'll agree with you guys it's a beautiful island, I just don't want to see HRM providing transit to it at taxpayers expense. And I'm still not totally sure I even want it to be open to the public anyway.
Oh well, McNabs on the other hand will always be special to me

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
Honored Member

NcNabs Island would probably be a popular site if a private ferry were operated from the Halifax side, especially for the sake of tourists (not many tourists go to the Eastern Passage where the private ferry is located). This also has fortifications and the remnants of a Victorian Garden (according to Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McNabs_Island ). I had been thinking about McNabs Island, since it is a Provincial Park, it would make sense to have better access. This is a large land area, much larger than Point Pleasant Park (it looks like almost 4 times as large based on Mapquest images). Has there ever been any talk of building a pedestrian bridge to NcNabs Island from the Dartmouth side?

These two islands haven't been very popular tourist sites since they haven't been promoted as such. Devil's Island is another possible excursion site. With all the planned residential construction in Dartmouth such as King's Wharf, McNab's Island and Devil's Island will likely become more popular in the near future.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 28, 2010 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:48 PM
You talkin' to me?

What a wonderful perspective of downtown from the island too!

thanks for the pictures

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:58 PM

Is McNabbs open to the public?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 5:17 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
According to this brochure ( http://www.pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/pv...2-/ne-ns_E.pdf ) it is only open during the summer months. I misspelled McNabs Island in my previous post (it should just have one "b" at the end).

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 5:42 PM

Iv lived in this city for 15 years and have never been there, Maybe its time for a visit.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I've been out in the spring and summer months. I was under the impression that it was open year round, but could very well be wrong and if the .gov website says so, I must be..

You're supposed to camp in the designated area only without any kind of campfire. You are also supposed to notify DNR if you intend to camp on the island.

The guys who operate the shuttles out of EP (Red Beard, Steven Taylor) will tell you everything you need to know about the on the boat-ride out. They also want to know where you're going to be and will take contact info. Mainly because they need to pick you up, but they really care about the island. I think the last thing they want to do is ferry a bunch of vandals (or worse) over there.

BTW, there is a McNabs clean-up underway today.

2009 Results:

Quote:
Our enthusiastic volunteers collected 260 garbage bags + 40 blue bags. There were 120 volunteers who travelled on the boat to the island plus 30 girl guides joined us on the island.

Along with hundreds of plastic tampon applicators and used syringes from the failed sewer system of Halifax, we found plastic garbage of all sorts, Styrofoam, rope and Tim Horton's coffee cups. We also found unusual items like:

* metre high Santa Claus lawn ornament
* bucket seat of a car
* bar fridge
* several hard hats
* very old and weathered large geometry protractor
* baby soother
* various articles of clothing from underwear, coats, pants, boots,
* an NDP election sign from the last election
* patio table
* stereo speakers
* fibre glass hockey blade
* a large purple stuffed dog
* carpet
* a large pail full of used oil filters
* propane tanks
* membership card to Nubodys
* shotgun shells
* marine flares
I have a small collection of hardhats from the island.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 5:56 PM

im thinking of going to mcnabs this summer ive never been there either and would like to, i see so much potential for both islands as destinations for tourists and residents alike.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 7:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've always been fascinated by George's Island.

I lived in Halifax for nine years and usually get back there 3-4 times a year since. The waterfront is always my favourite place to hang out, regardless of season (well, except for maybe February ).

To my mind, restoring George's Island and providing a shuttle there during the tourist season would be the most important missing link in a downtown Halifax tourism strategy.

- You could tie it into tourism promotion for The Citadel (perhaps with a discounted ticket to visit both attractions).
- Lots of tourists would like to visit the island just for the ferry ride.
- The view from the island is every bit as spectacular as the one from The Citadel.
- It would be popular both for locals and for tourists.
- It really is Halifax's version of Alcatraz (even though it is a fort and not an infamous prison).
- Most cities would die to have something like this on their waterfront.

I agree that access to the island should be by some other means than by the harbour ferries. A seperate shuttle of some form would be best. Since it is a federal park, a private service contracted by the government would seem best.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
im thinking of going to mcnabs this summer ive never been there either and would like to, i see so much potential for both islands as destinations for tourists and residents alike.

Aside from maintaining some of the existing structures, I anticipate little change in the way things are on McNabs... There won't be the infrastructure out there for droves of tourists..

I really hope it stays the way it is.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 9:19 PM

Given the location of the wharf on George's Island I think an entrepeneur (maybe subsidized by the government) could easily run a ferry from the waterfront to Georges and then onto McNab's.

As for the supposed snake problem I have green garter snakes in my backyard right now (along with a coyote and families of deer, racoons and skunks) and they are not venemous at all and blend in with the grass so they are barely noticable. There is actually a higher chance of getting Lyme disease where I live then getting sick from a snake bit.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeachpunk View Post
Aside from maintaining some of the existing structures, I anticipate little change in the way things are on McNabs... There won't be the infrastructure out there for droves of tourists..
There is a management plan in place for the park (see http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/parks/mana...cnabs/dmpa.pdf). I think work on the trail system may be ongoing, but I agree that overall the island is likely not going to change much.

Last edited by ScovaNotian; Mar 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 9:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
There is a management plan in place for the park (see http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/parks/mana...nabs/dmpa.pdf). I think work on the trail system may be ongoing, but I agree that overall the island is likely not going to change much.
Thanks for the link ScovaNotian (great username!). I hope that you won't mind that I fixed the link: http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/parks/mana...cnabs/dmpa.pdf

If you put a bracket after the website link, you must leave a space between the link and bracket otherwise the bracket becomes part of the website link and it won't work.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 9:54 PM

Right, thanks, I've fixed it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
As for the supposed snake problem I have green garter snakes in my backyard right now (along with a coyote and families of deer, racoons and skunks) and they are not venemous at all and blend in with the grass so they are barely noticable. There is actually a higher chance of getting Lyme disease where I live then getting sick from a snake bit.
I didn't see a single snake on Georges. I didn't really look for them, but they certainly weren't everywhere/all over the place. There may be a lot of them out there but the keep to themselves AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
There is a management plan in place for the park (see http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/parks/mana...cnabs/dmpa.pdf). I think work on the trail system may be ongoing, but I agree that overall the island is likely not going to change much.
Thanks for the link!!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 10:16 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Given the location of the wharf on George's Island I think an entrepeneur (maybe subsidized by the government) could easily run a ferry from the waterfront to Georges and then onto McNab's.

Since the George's Island snakes are just Garter snakes, they might be an added attraction, especially since they are reported to be very docile. As long as they aren't slithering around the tunnels ; it wouldn't bother me too much, however it would certainly scare some tourists away if they don't know what they are. ScovaNotian previously posted this interesting link on the Garter snakes of George's Island: http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/snakes/melanist.htm. Maybe there should be some signs posted with some interesting information on the snakes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues