HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 10:06 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The brown and purple lines (more so the brown line) are miserable from Armitage through Merchandise Mart. The flyover will add more trains, but the CTA should look at running 10 car trains during rush hours. It’s wall to wall from 7:30-9am. There are large crowds at Armitage and Sedgwick. It’s better in the evening, which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me, but it is what it is.
The CTA can't run 10-car trains for multiple reasons. First, only some of the subway stations can berth 10-car trains. Second, not all sections of track have the power supplies to power 10-car trains yet. Third, some of the branches that could most use them lack the yard capacity to store, rally, and send out 10-car trains (Kimball Yard, I'm looking at you). For the Red Line, the RPM project will solve the power issue and possibly the station length issue. I believe Wilson is long enough now for 10-car trains, and Fullerton and Belmont, while not long enough, were engineered so that extending them is simple and requires no track changes. The North Main line stations will either be built for 10-car trains, or it will be relatively trivial to extend them. While leaves yard capacity. Howard Yard *might* be able to handle some 10-car trains, but to really do it right is what is actually driving the CTA to look to extend the Red Line to 130th. They're definitely milking it for all the political benefit possible by talking about service improvements to the South Side, but the real motivating factor is the the yard south of 95th Street is simply too small for the additional service levels needed on the North Side. When they build the new yard, they'll be able to lay up enough cars to serve longer trains, then the RPM should extend the stations on the North Side or prep them for extension anyway. I'm not sure if the Dan Ryan stations were extended for 10-cars during the rebuild in the past decade, but highway stations are easy to extend anyway.

For the Brown Line, I kinda doubt it will see 10-car trains in my lifetime as it was just extended for 8,15 years ago and the flyover will allow a few extra trains and if the Red Line went to 10-cars (far more likely), it could partially absorb Brown Line excess at Belmont and Fullerton, but if I'm wrong then I can envision one of two things happening to get it the needed yard space to support 10-car trains:

1) The CTA and City finally get serious about linking the Brown Line to the Blue Line at Montrose or Jefferson Park and find space near the Blue Line for a yard to support more trains, and then either as part of that project or as a follow-on they extend platforms (again), or

2) The CTA and City give up on linking to the Blue Line, but make a fuss about people being killed by the at-grade crossings (I've actually been on a train that killed a bicyclist) and decide to elevate the Brown Line to Kimball, creating space for a larger, elevated yard, with some lower space for maintenance accessed either through a super-elevator or an incline (or both). If they did that, they could put the yard over the existing maintenance sheds, over the current park-and-ride lot, and over the existing station, more or less doubling the capacity of the current yard and allowing space for more maintenance bays on ground level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
The Brown line through that zone is terribly overcrowded and congested. I wish there was a way to add track capacity between Fullerton and Loop. Wasnt there a plan years ago to run a bypass down Larabee or Orleans that would eventually go down Clinton to the Metra stations? That would be huge for the near north / Cabrini area. (edit) If you look at the steel bents that hold up the Brown line in that area they look like they are wide enough for 4 lines and that the outermost rail sets were removed long ago.
South of Fullerton, there is width for four tracks because there used to be four tracks part of the way to Merchandise Mart - but not for additional Ravenswood (as the Brown Line was called) trains. The additional tracks were for the North Shore Line part of the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee RR, that went all the way to Milwaukee following a route basically equivalent to going from the Merchandise Mart to Howard to Skokie and then on to Milwaukee. Those trains stopped in 1963. The quad tracks went to just north of Chicago Ave, where they merged to a single set of tracks for (then) three stations - Chicago/Franklin, Grand/Franklin, and Merchandise Mart, before pulling into a terminal station just east of Wells on the north bank of the River. That service peaked at over 40,000 passengers a day, but was closer to 10,000/day just before it shuttered. For reference, the current Pink Line averages around 16,000 riders per weekday, for a much shorter route.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Metropolis Investment Holdings no longer exists, to the best of my knowledge.
The NBC tower website says it's owned by Metropolis, so...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 4:34 PM

800 W Fulton

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:15 AM

Chicago | Fulton West

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:47 AM

Nobu Hotel

Jan 27

Chicago | Nobu Hotel by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:00 AM
Chicago

167 N Green

February 3, 2020

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:01 AM
Chicago

The Grand - 369 W Grand

February 3, 2020

February 5, 2020

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 9:38 PM

50 E Randolph

Jan 31

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 10:10 PM

2111 S Wabash

Feb 1

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 10:48 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I believe 2111 S. Wabash will have gone from groundbreaking to completely enclosed in slightly less than a year, which is fairly astounding.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 10:49 PM
you know where I'll be

Fulton West

Fulton West is pretty bad. That's all.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 11:21 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Fulton West is pretty bad. That's all.
I think you mean "West End on Fulton." It never looked particularly great to me from the beginning, and it's pretty far west, so I'm mostly indifferent on the real life outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
The NBC tower website says it's owned by Metropolis, so...
Yes, but Mr. Mann is long gone. So who knows what will happen and when. I do sort of get nostalgic for this design:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 11:32 PM

450 N LaSalle

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 12:30 AM

369 W Grand

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 1:14 AM

Bentham Condos

Last edited by harryc; Feb 10, 2020 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:41 PM

Probably too little too late but they updated the renderings for 855 W madison street now showing VE'd version that got built.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Probably too little too late but they updated the renderings for 855 W madison street now showing VE'd version that got built.

lol

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:22 PM

The material change probably would have been fine with better color choices for the panels in the top section. There is awkward contrast between the panels, the other volumes, and the dark glass. The lighter beige in the rendering above is quite a bit more coherent.

shame

Last edited by jc5680; Feb 10, 2020 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:18 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I think you mean "West End on Fulton." It never looked particularly great to me from the beginning, and it's pretty far west, so I'm mostly indifferent on the real life outcome.

Yep - meant West End on Fulton (important to be precise as there likely is an under-construction project called Fulton West......if not, there will be!)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:21 PM
you know where I'll be

Bentham

So Bentham still hasn't re-started?

My understanding (please correct if wrong) is that the project got hit with a stop work order because it didn't have issued permits yet for the stage of construction it was at.....can anyone remember a similarly large-scale project that had this level of screw-up? I've only ever seen this in much smaller-scale stuff.....and overwhelmingly not new construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations