HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:42 AM

^My bad. Accidentally skipped that first line in your reply about the new permit for the hotel. I was focused on the prior years articles. A hotel it is.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:37 AM
1st Ward

Interesting choice for a hotel. There aren't going to be a lot of rooms with views that aren't of the buildings immediately adjacent to the hotel. But I guess that's what makes this a budget hotel.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Interesting choice for a hotel. There aren't going to be a lot of rooms with views that aren't of the buildings immediately adjacent to the hotel. But I guess that's what makes this a budget hotel.
If you are going to Chicago on a budget, and don't want to stay near the airport and don't mind a place like this then I guess it's not bad. Or something. A bunch of them on Tripadvisor in Japan have 4/5 ratings. The one in Frankfurt has a 8.4/10 rating with nearly 8000 reviews (https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/toy...tml#map_closed).

I guess what you can hope for is (a) the design of the hotel doesn't suck and actually fits in with the building to the north which is a great building, and (b) the hotel itself doesn't suck and (c) A restaurant or cafe or something which they probably would have.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:57 AM
The City

Great to know that the Toyoko hotel (or its successor) will finally get built.

Believe it or not, back in the day there was NIMBY backlash against this pesely little development. Now that Fioretti is out of the picture and OPO is moving forward, it's nice to see this finally happen.

Come to think of it, the OPO, which is the largest rehab project in the United States right now, is going to spur a lot of investment around it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydWrong View Post
Today.

I like this building, but I REALLY wish they had done this in something like a dark grey brick...would have made the overall street presence even better.

Also, has anyone heard any plans for the CVS to possibly move into the retail space in this building? Then, CVS could sell the stand-alone building as a tear down, and something dense built there, as well.

I see so much untapped potential in this general area to be built up more; I always felt that for many years, people have "skipped over" this part of West Town, in preference to Wicker Park.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:34 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...es-up-for-sale

February 12, 2018
Could a big tower rise across from Wintrust Arena?

By Alby Gallun

Quote:
The owner of a parking lot across from the new Wintrust Arena has put the property up for sale, pitching it to residential developers aiming to get in on the building boom near McCormick Place.

The joint venture that developed the Vesta Lofts at 2100 S. Indiana Ave. hired the Chicago office of CBRE to sell the parcel immediately to the south. With the city's blessing, a buyer could potentially build a 40-plus story tower with 426 apartments or condominiums on the site, which is just west of Wintrust Arena, according to a CBRE marketing brochure.

The property sits in a neighborhood that's gaining momentum, fueled by the recent opening of the Marriott Marquis hotel and the 10,000-seat arena, the home of the DePaul University and Chicago Sky basketball teams. The McCormick Place convention center has been the neighborhood's anchor for decades, but the city wants to transform the neighborhood, which it has named McCormick Square, into a bustling entertainment district, with restaurants and other venues for residents and visitors alike.

"That whole pocket of McCormick Square is just improving every day," said CBRE Executive Vice President John Jaeger. "You can ask yourself if the neighborhood will be better in five or 10 years. The answer is an unequivocal yes."

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:34 PM

starting to look like vancouver. need some more height

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:06 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
starting to look like vancouver. need some more height
Hahaha what are you smoking?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:19 AM
The City

Bye bye, John Hancock?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:21 AM

^ Brutal. Seems strange they immediately wanted their name removed but then again maybe theres more to it. Itll always be JHC to me nonetheless I hope they do better than "Whatcha talkin' bout Willis". Great show great line.... bad name for a tower

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:30 AM

inb4 something stupid like State Farm Tower

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
I like this building, but I REALLY wish they had done this in something like a dark grey brick...would have made the overall street presence even better.

Also, has anyone heard any plans for the CVS to possibly move into the retail space in this building? Then, CVS could sell the stand-alone building as a tear down, and something dense built there, as well.

I see so much untapped potential in this general area to be built up more; I always felt that for many years, people have "skipped over" this part of West Town, in preference to Wicker Park.
I disagree, the sunset pattern of brick is actually pretty cool. Fitzgerald is just trying too hard with the funky window sizes.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:14 PM

If they dont go with a company or firm name, it will be so commercial and so dissapointing. I'd rather have them stick with the address or something just chicago titled like "the Mag" or "chicago international" or something like that. Haha, Im just throwing out ideas.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:21 PM
Urbane observer

Fazlur Khan Tower.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

John Hancock

Tough news. I would prefer they just go with the generic address name, that way colloquially JHC will just keep on being JHC for people regardless without having some new nonsense corporate identity attached to it. "State Farm Tower?" Deargodjustkillmenow

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:32 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

No matter what the "official" name of JHC may change to, I seriously doubt ANYONE will ever refer to it by that name (except for perhaps the media, of course, due to legal constraints). Everyone will always refer to it as the Hancock, just like the vast majority of people still refer to the Sears Tower.

Not so sure on Standard Oil/Aon... Thoughts on that one?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:41 PM
BANNED

I don't care what they call it. It's still one of the top 5 skyscrapers in the world.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
No matter what the "official" name of JHC may change to, I seriously doubt ANYONE will ever refer to it by that name (except for perhaps the media, of course, due to legal constraints). Everyone will always refer to it as the Hancock, just like the vast majority of people still refer to the Sears Tower.

Not so sure on Standard Oil/Aon... Thoughts on that one?

Aaron (Glowrock)
Being nostalgic about a building name is really dumb, but a lot of people seem to subscribe to it. John Hancock is just an evil insurance company and Sears is a failing retailer that abandoned the city of Chicago. But sure, let's give them free advertising and completely remove their incentive for continuing to support the city.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:35 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Being nostalgic about a building name is really dumb, but a lot of people seem to subscribe to it. John Hancock is just an evil insurance company and Sears is a failing retailer that abandoned the city of Chicago. But sure, let's give them free advertising and completely remove their incentive for continuing to support the city.
The only reason those buildings exist is because of those companies you despise so much funded them. Chicago without the Sears or JHC towers would not be the same city it is today. You are trying too hard to be edgy with the "fuck the corporations maaaaannn" commentary. You can have your gripes with those companies(hating on Sears though, really?), but you are acting like this isn't a minor form of historical whitewashing. It would be like changing the name of the Eiffel Tower to the Walmart Spire, or something absurd because a company wanted the naming rights. I'm sure some will see this as a tad bit dramatic or hyperbolic, but still...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
The only reason those buildings exist is because of those companies you despise so much funded them. Chicago without the Sears or JHC towers would not be the same city it is today. You are trying too hard to be edgy with the "fuck the corporations maaaaannn" commentary. You can have your gripes with those companies(hating on Sears though, really?), but you are acting like this isn't a minor form of historical whitewashing. It would be like changing the name of the Eiffel Tower to the Walmart Spire, or something absurd because a company wanted the naming rights. I'm sure some will see this as a tad bit dramatic or hyperbolic, but still...
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT0xej...SyL6/giphy.gif

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Feb 14, 2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: unrelated images should be hyperlinked

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations