HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
It looks like the Godfrey got puked on by the amli rivernorth.
This building looks like EMC2's not-as-cool sibling

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:26 PM
BANNED

It's real bad. it looks like one of those ass hotels you see dotting a big ten campus.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:46 PM

The bottom 4-5 floors are good. The tower doesn't fit.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:10 PM

At least the lager rendering reveals the light gray grid is actual brick, not concrete as I first feared. Could be a lot better, but at least decent materials will make it more tolerable. If Sterling Bay does brick with the same quality as what is going up on Mc Donalds now, then we might actually get something good here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
It's real bad. it looks like one of those ass hotels you see dotting a big ten campus.
You mean Assholetels?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:23 PM
BANNED

If Assholetels means expecting more than tolerable, yes. Big brown Assholetel in your fayce babe.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
If Assholetels means expecting more than tolerable, yes. Big brown Assholetel in your fayce babe.

Really, they could just not "reveal" that cheap-looking composite paneling at the corner, as if its worth highlighting. Just continue the brick all the way over and dispense with the (misguided) idea that it has to embrace the corner in some super pronounced way. The double-height openings with the brick and the alternating window offsets actually make a nice rhythm and the elements are proportioned nicely enough. In trying to break up the mass they just made it more severe looking.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:55 PM

Its not that bad, I like the random camoflague like pattern of the bricks they are using to break up an otherwise bland wall

I think it would look like total ass if that was prefab concrete instead of brick

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:20 PM

thats pretty awful.

seriously, all they have to do is copy the faux warehouse look and it would look fine and no one would complain. why does every developer manage to trip over their own two feet whenever they deviate from that aesthetic? either go with a curtail wall or go with all brick, but this whole "I cant decide what i want to be so im going to be 6 different looks at once" look is...not a good look

if this was off a highway feeder ramp or something it would be fine but this is going to stick out like a sore thumb in this location

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
what's shocking is how bad the tower is, compared to how good the first 3-4 floors are
It sort of reminds me of the terrible random mishmash "Aloft/hyatt hotel" at Clark & Grand but not as busy

oh, shockingly its also a hyatt hotel

they need a new design team

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:19 PM
Development Shill

It looks like something a computer thinks people would like based off of highway exit hotels in the midwest.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:23 PM
BANNED

Hmmm y'know what would look good; is if they used some sort of glazed brick on the tower portion with a dark shade that matches the windows. More of a monotone look than this BS.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 7:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Speaking of that style of hotel, anyone heard anything recently about the lot at the NW corner of Clark/Huron? If that got started, along with the proposed condo building to replace that little church building on the next block east, and the condo tower on the NE corner of Huron Orleans, we've have construction on every block of Huron from Wabash to Sedgwick, save for the blocks between Wells and Franklin, and State and Dearborn ...
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
this has become their nasty standard style.... why pay an architect full price more than once?

in denver... from denver-cityscape
But at least that's glass on the corner, similar to their Champaign, IL location:

https://images.trvl-media.com/hotels...83138_77_z.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: PLEASE USE HYPERLINKS TO REFERENCE OFF-TOPIC IMAGES

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
It sort of reminds me of the terrible random mishmash "Aloft/hyatt hotel" at Clark & Grand but not as busy
I really don't mind that building. I think it's great filler.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
this has become their nasty standard style.... why pay an architect full price more than once?

in denver... from denver-cityscape
You don't have to go to Denver to see that. The recently built hyatt place on Franklin for example

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Speaking of that style of hotel, anyone heard anything recently about the lot at the NW corner of Clark/Huron? If that got started, along with the proposed condo building to replace that little church building on the next block east, and the condo tower on the NE corner of Huron Orleans, we've have construction on every block of Huron from Wabash to Sedgwick, save for the blocks between Wells and Franklin, and State and Dearborn ...
Wow, if all those projects get off the ground, then there will only be a handful of lots left on Huron from the lake all the way to the river. I've always wanted to see that happen for a Near North street

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:55 PM
The City

^ Right. To me, the most underperforming east-west street north of the river right now is Chicago Ave. It spans the Chicago River, has a subway stop, yet once you get west of State St it's just a humdrum of garages and low slung buildings. That is a street that needs to be developed into a proper canyon

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:09 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Right. To me, the most underperforming east-west street north of the river right now is Chicago Ave. It spans the Chicago River, has a subway stop, yet once you get west of State St it's just a humdrum of garages and low slung buildings. That is a street that needs to be developed into a proper canyon
The Cabrini Rowhouses and the YMCA are contributors to that underperformance. I don't say that as a complaint, I have no problem with either existing where they do, but they do impact the development patterns. I think the Bush Temple renovation, 805 N Lasalle, the Hudson, that condo building on the corner of Orleans/Chicago, and even that Clark highrise just north of Chicago all help inch Chicago Ave to a full-blown explosion. But also the Jesse White community center will drag on canyonization, as does the community garden nearby. Then west of the river the Tribune currently hurts things, but we are seeing things get to the point where Chicago Ave will likely really catch on and hopefully be nicely built out by 2030 at the latest. IMHO
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:17 PM

635 N Wells

July 19

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 11:46 PM

Bentham - 146 W Erie

July 19

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations