HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:47 AM
Chicago

165 North Des Plaines

June 13, 2016

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:47 AM
Chicago

108 North Jefferson

June 13, 2016

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:48 AM
Chicago

The Parker Fulton Market - 730 Couch Place

June 13, 2016

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
June 13, 2016

The asymmetry of the windows on the floor just before the balconies start is really throwing me here

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Just wanted to make sure this didn't get buried. Does anyone know about this project or which site is being redeveloped?
This project was mentioned back when we had a flurry of proposals in Sept/Oct of last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
768 N Aberdeen
190 units, 95 parking spots, retail
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's the triangular lot at the South corner of Ogden and Aberdeen. It was on the market a while ago and has since sold, presumably to this guy.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
How do you get up into it? There's no room to the east or west of the trainshed for an elevator core. How do you evacuate people in an emergency? There's a bunch of trains and platforms between the tower and ground level, and you can't really go through it without eliminating some station tracks. I guess you could piggyback and build the entrance through Citicorp Center's atrium, but then you'd need their permission as well, and you'd still be looking at 2 escalators plus an elevator ride to your office.

Then there's the structural issues- it's hard to sink caissons for a skyscraper through an active train station with another level of shops beneath it. I guess you could clear-span over it like London's Exchange House, but that's a MASSIVE amount of money for a developer to spend.
Hmm. Eliminate a platform and pair of tracks and then construct new ones hovering over Clinton or Canal, or, in a fit of (ultimately profitable) difficult acrobatics, construct them in the triangular void bounded by Fulton and Canal and Randolph. Ensuring there is horizontal clearance under the Green Line flyover would be one of the exciting acrobatics.

In fact there are already 2 platforms standing there, albeit truncated ones -- look for the 5 red diesel units in the Randolph/Canal corner in Google aerial view. The platforms are currently connected inbound, but you'd build trackage going outbound, and snake the platforms so they just miss Rive Gauche at K Station or whatever it's called.

Electronic ticket payment has reduced the relevance of having ticketing windows close to the actual platforms, so having just the UP-N, or whatever, 250yds north of the rest of the platforms shouldn't disjoint station operation too much.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
This project was mentioned back when we had a flurry of proposals in Sept/Oct of last year
Thank you!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:14 PM

FYI that econobox office building between Jackson and Adams is officially under construction. Drove by yesterday and saw workers tying cassion cages and setting up drill rigs.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:16 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
A little bird who is in a position to know just told me that this will be a 12-story "glass box."
Quote:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...partment-tower

Lennar adds another 180 apartments to River North building boom
By Alby Gallun

The bulging pipeline of new apartments in River North is swelling a little bit more.

Lennar plans a 180-unit project on a site it's buying at 675 N. Wells St., according to a marketing flier for the development's retail space and people familiar with Lennar's plans.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:34 PM

With available space on Wells rapidly diminishing hopefully more developers will start marching west and take care of all those surface lots on Franklin.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
So this would replace the building with the Subway and D'Agostino's?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:51 PM
you know where I'll be

Lennar River North

Here's to hoping that clunker of a design (how drab and banal) is not the final design (since this did show up in a retail brokerage's 'shit-slinging' marketing schtick-pack (where Crain's picked it up from), I'm actually somewhat hopeful that it is just a placeholder - it's often the case with those things.....Lennar can actually commission some fairly decent stuff (Parc Huron in River North - it turns out they didn't actually build it, as they sold to M&R first for change to rental....however largely the same design by HPA originally put in place for Lennar.....also I believe Library Tower in South Loop/eastern edge of Printer's Row which I think is a fairly solid design as well........the quality of the rendering itself also has me thinking it might just be a marketing placeholder.....fingers crossed.....

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
The Near West Loop will be full of parking lots forever at this rate!

Great rebuttal to..... - nobody, as literally nobody is saying that.....that would be foolish to claim.....

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:57 PM
you know where I'll be

Andaz Hotel and 217 North Jefferson

Like these both - particularly 217 North Jefferson......that is one sharp design. JDL is really knocking them out of the park working with HPA this cycle on project aesthetics (I don't think it's awful granted, but I'd throw No 9 Walton in as the exception....not a huge fan).....

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:10 PM

With regards to the 675 N Wells proposal by Lennar, couldn't they build many more units so they could qualify this project for TOD zoning? Seems like only 12-15 floors is very small for a location like this.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:26 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
You just love distracting from the topic at hand. We are not talking about what sites "could be" crated, we are talking about which existing surface lots remain versus how many there used to be. Stop trying to expand the conversation to include all of God's creation. So please, explain to me why developers who have largely been chewing through parcels of vacant land in the near West Loop are going to suddenly shift strategy and start looking for teardowns in the Loop Proper?

My point is very simple, there is not a lot of nuance to it: in 2008 there were about 20 large surface lots in the section of town I posted. Now there are only about 10. What makes you think that suddenly everything is going to change and that trend will cease? You can leave your "you are carried away" attitude at the door and respond with facts. I am not speculating, I am observing what has, in objective fact, happened. I can drive down there and see each and every one of the developments that have replaced lots with my own eyes.

Finally, when did I ever say a proposal is guaranteed to happen? Again you are just making shit up to attempt discredit a simple observation: those parcels have serious active proposals. That is a fact and you can't deny it. Second you yourself just said in another thread that proposals (or at least the parcels they are planned for) are likely to get developed when backed by serious serial developers like Related or Fifield. That was the only reason I even mentioned proposals.

So again, oh great wise sage, explain to me the future tectonic shift that will occur making tear downs in the loop attractive when companies like McDonalds are choosing to locate all the way over on Morgan Street. You were the one who made the first statement that McDonald's is just chasing trends by locating there, so please share your great wisdom as to why walking 8 blocks West from Union station is any different than walking 8 blocks East. Because so far all you've done is repeat your claims without even an argument, let alone hard stats or facts, supporting it. You made the statement that the CBD shouldn't or wouldn't ever push into the West Loop, so the burden of proof is on you to explain why it's not going to happen because it's already happening.

All my main point ever was is that corporate hq/large regional office office locations are not appropriate west of the expressway. Fulton Market District makes little sense as a large scale office job center. Makes perfect sense for residential, and a combination of residential, hotel, some retail - but mostly of the dining variety, and perhaps food/entertainment. As a commuter destination for jobs, it just doesn't add up. I've explained very clearly that this is distance - but not only distance. A walk of similar distance 'feels' much longer and less pedestrian-friendly/welcoming etc, when that walk is west of the expressway than when you're walking east. Eight blocks east is still a trek, but it feels like a trek of around 8 blocks. 8 blocks west is a trek that probably feels more like 12 or 13, and is less pleasant/urban/cohesive to boot......

You are the one insinuating something that just isn't so - that easy/relatively easy development opportunities east of the expressway (again, I definitely wouldn't even hold this is true east of the river!) are somehow in danger of disappearing by next cycle. It will certainly take at least a couple more than that - there will be plenty of good (re)development opportunities in the Loop and Near West Loop for the few next cycles, and that also happens to continue to be where it makes the most sense to overwhelmingly concentrate new large scale office construction over the next couple decades. More boutique and professional office type stuff is of course fine in certain pockets expanding outward. But for large corporate offices (yes, even including tech) - no dice. It doesn't add up, from both the employer's perspective (wanting to maximize your talent pool, ease of broadest swath of metro area human resources to get to your door), and from the city's - the urban planning perspective (the city would be wise to recognize this and look to funnel new hq/large corp offices into the core/truly transit nexus area and away from these fringes)....

Further, nobody is suggesting that the West Loop isn't - and won't continue to do so - booming......obviously it is, I think that's great and want to see more....what I am saying, however, is that that growth should overwhelmingly consist of residential, with retail (food-focused, but some other more service-oriented) and entertainment thrown in for good mix. Large office just doesn't add up (and, yes, this includes Google's mistake on Fulton!)...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnies23 View Post
With regards to the 675 N Wells proposal by Lennar, couldn't they build many more units so they could qualify this project for TOD zoning? Seems like only 12-15 floors is very small for a location like this.
The article indicates Lennar doesn't want to seek a zoning bump. Either they're not comfortable with the process here or the alderman has already shook his head at it. Given the several towers under construction immediately adjacent to the site I'm guessing it's the former.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Further, nobody is suggesting that the West Loop isn't - and won't continue to do so - booming......obviously it is, I think that's great and want to see more....what I am saying, however, is that that growth should overwhelmingly consist of residential, with retail (food-focused, but some other more service-oriented) and entertainment thrown in for good mix. Large office just doesn't add up (and, yes, this includes Google's mistake on Fulton!)...
A growing number of major companies are making these "mistakes". I'm not sure that you aren't letting your own opinion color what you perceive as the actual needs/wants of these companies who are making the decisions.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:41 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yes, and as I've stated before - it is indeed trend-chasing. I'm telling you - I know some of the conversations that are being had, and they are not driven by analysis and number-crunching and and actual hard thinking (or the location decisions you're referencing wold have turned out differently) It's driven largely by 'the trend of the day!', 'look what Google did!', the 'cool, whiz, bang' factor, 'all the millennials bike to work anyway', 'we've got to be perceived as hip and cool and on-trend', etc etc etc.

I'm not making this up. These are the motivating factors. It's actually if you think about it a very much trend and emotionally-driven thing.......it's also got a quite ephemeral air to it (although who knows how long it will be before those that made these big mistakes will 1) realize it, and 2) admit it.......these can be intractable things and difficult to own up to and walk back from, for certain.....

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Yes, and as I've stated before - it is indeed trend-chasing. I'm telling you - I know some of the conversations that are being had, and they are not driven by analysis and number-crunching and and actual hard thinking (or the location decisions you're referencing wold have turned out differently) It's driven largely by 'the trend of the day!', 'look what Google did!', the 'cool, whiz, bang' factor, 'all the millennials bike to work anyway', 'we've got to be perceived as hip and cool and on-trend', etc etc etc.

I'm not making this up. These are the motivating factors. It's actually if you think about it a very much trend and emotionally-driven thing.......it's also got a quite ephemeral air to it (although who knows how long it will be before those that made these big mistakes will 1) realize it, and 2) admit it.......these can be intractable things and difficult to own up to and walk back from, for certain.....
I have yet to hear a convincing argument via "actual hard thinking" about how these West Loop locations that are the same distance from transit as other large employment centers (East Loop, River North) are such a mistake. Is 600 W Chicago empty or have those tenants just not owned up to their errors yet?

Yes the West Loop is trendy but given that the actual distances involved are comparable to other large submarkets downtown I'm not seeing how that's a bad thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations