HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:29 PM

The HcHugh Hotel at McCormick Place is now under construction.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The HcHugh Hotel at McCormick Place is now under construction.
Its only Jan 5th and already 2 Highrises UC!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:21 PM
THAT Guy

More mid-rises in River North

360 W Erie (replacing Citizen Bar)
38 condos - Belgravia

360 W Superior
34 condos

Bentham - 146 W Erie (replacing the Erie-LaSalle Bodyshop)
Sedgwick ()

From Jameson

This is in addition to already announced stuff like 300 W Huron and 351 W Huron.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:53 PM

man the Orleans St. Corridor has gone bonkers

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:10 PM

It's a feeding frenzie, with still so many empty lots to go.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:20 PM

Thanks, Spyguy! Really wish 360 Erie had space for a nice restaurant at the base – the area could really use another. (Though if I lived there, I'd probably eat exclusively at Mr. Beef.)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
360 W Erie (replacing Citizen Bar)
38 condos - Belgravia
is there a reason why the base most closely resembles a medium security prison

also yay more kitchen backsplash facades /s

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:15 PM

At least it does not have a massive podium.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:39 PM

i agree but that makes the unwelcoming street presence all the more frustrating. why is this still so difficult? why are developers and architects still trying to design military bunkers rather than places people want to congregate and feel drawn into? i mean im a layman and i can see this plain as day. theres nothing "trendy" about little slits for ground floor windows (and clearly they recognize this on some level, as theyre certainly not giving the residents above little slits). its just bad design and all in all looks cheap.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:42 PM

Developers trying to use zombie apocalypse security as a selling point?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:56 PM

I keep asking, and being annoying, but I can never find any updates. Is there any news or startdate on the Reid-Murdoch Building highrise? I thought I saw it got approved last fall.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:59 PM

The beginning of the River North condo boom?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The vast majority of people, even on this forum, don't travel just to see a tall building. They travel to visit a city, to experience the urbanity of a different city, to feel how different cities implement urbanity differently. Sure, if a city has an unusually tall building with an observation deck we may go visit it - but it's rarely the primary reason for going to that city, and most people would agree that if the only reason a city was famous was one tall building it would make for a very lame vacation.
Conversely, to a certain set of people, a tall building signifies that a city has the cultural and economic wherewithal to support its creation, and that this conceivably bestows a city with the attendant cultural capital. Obviously, this belief was established because, historically, those were the conditions that existed to provide the production of tall buildings (specifically, those buildings that were aspirational enough to test the limits of technology, economics, culture, etc.). The feedback from this phenomenon being that it's now exploited to give whatever city superficial credibility, and those that know this have busted the (skyline = city importance) equation. That being said, even adequately knowledgeable people know that cities can also have importance in industries that don't require sky-high buildings and that attract the people that produce the things that people are willing to travel to to consume (e.g., Boston).

In Chicago's case, it's an important part of our tourism appeal that we have landmark structures, because for better or for worse (and whether we still deserve it or not), our reputation is strongly associated with architectural prowess (if not singularly derived from it, in the case of international visitors).

The question, then, is whether it's important to attract those people or not. I'm of the position that it isn't, but I can't say one way or the other the level of importance it has and for how many people that would come here and contribute to our economy.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i agree but that makes the unwelcoming street presence all the more frustrating. why is this still so difficult? why are developers and architects still trying to design military bunkers rather than places people want to congregate and feel drawn into? i mean im a layman and i can see this plain as day. theres nothing "trendy" about little slits for ground floor windows (and clearly they recognize this on some level, as theyre certainly not giving the residents above little slits). its just bad design and all in all looks cheap.
I agree the street presence of this building is criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
I keep asking, and being annoying, but I can never find any updates. Is there any news or startdate on the Reid-Murdoch Building highrise? I thought I saw it got approved last fall.
There has been nothing since it's approval back in August

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
I would guess they're giving the parking lot-adjacent tenants – The Rug Co. and The Golden Triangle – time to either move out or reconfigure entrances to their stores.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:29 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
why are developers and architects still trying to design military bunkers rather than places people want to congregate and feel drawn into?.
If you don't put in ground-floor retail, your choices for a project like this, based on program, are pretty much masonry or frosted glass. It's a pretty good bet that the ground floor is occupied by utility rooms, the workout room, the bike room, the trash room and loading dock, the mailbox area, and a 300 sq ft lobby. None of those want to have transparent windows.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
is there a reason why the base most closely resembles a medium security prison

also yay more kitchen backsplash facades /s
There's a couple shiplap facades chillin in river north too.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 12:11 AM

360 W. Erie

Another rendering for the Erie/Sedgwick proposal. reminds me a lot of 400 W. Huron

http://chicago.curbed.com/2017/1/6/1...-erie-sedgwick

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 1:05 AM

Oak Park Station

Dec 1

Jan 1
(photos by Gregory Carmichael)

Jan 4

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 3:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
If you don't put in ground-floor retail, your choices for a project like this, based on program, are pretty much masonry or frosted glass. It's a pretty good bet that the ground floor is occupied by utility rooms, the workout room, the bike room, the trash room and loading dock, the mailbox area, and a 300 sq ft lobby. None of those want to have transparent windows.
I mean, I assume the bulk of the first floor here is parking. For 38 condos, you could easily fit somewhere between 38 and 76 parking spaces depending on what ratio they're going for.

Some rental developments have made the mailbox area into a fishbowl visible from the street, but usually those are large rooms with hundreds of mailboxes.

Knowing Belgravia, I'm sure each of the service spaces will be squeezed to the bare minimum to cram as many profitable parking spaces as will fit (without resorting to costly multi-level parking).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations