HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 3:58 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 4:57 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 5:13 PM
Community Guy

More students would benefit Downtown.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...box=1667041816

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 8:18 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton’s Downtown Enrichers

Edmonton City Centre is proud to be a collaborator within Edmonton’s downtown. As the largest group of retailers (80+ stores) and businesses tenants (TD Tower, 102A Tower, Centre Point Place) we are passionate about all of downtown, the people, residents, businesses, workers, commuters, shoppers, and tourists. This series is our way of reflecting on some of the people that are making a difference in your downtown and enriching the community with the work they do. We hope you enjoy the series.

Anand Pye – Executive Director, NAIOP Edmonton

Interview:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://edmontoncitycentre.com/anand-pye/[/URL]

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:46 AM
Community Guy

Scott Figler
• 2nd
Research Director at JLL
1d

The built environment is constantly evolving to accommodate shifts in how people use space. As office markets adjust to the new hybrid reality it makes sense for functionally obsolescent buildings to be re-imagined. Much has been made of office-to-res conversions in downtown Calgary, but this is a national trend. Over 3m square feet of office across Canada has already been converted or is scheduled to be converted to other uses.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-fi...m4I%2B2w%3D%3D

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 12:55 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton’s Downtown Needs Ideas. Here are Five

We look at cities across North America to determine what’s essential to resurrect a failing downtown

BY TIM QUERENGESSER NOVEMBER 25, 2022
https://urbanaffairs.ca/edmonton-ish...here-are-five/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 3:53 AM

^

It’s interesting to read “…America’s downtowns have not come back to what they were before the pandemic and never will.” It wasn’t that long ago that we would have read “…America’s downtowns have not come back to what they were before 9/11 and never will.”

Downtowns developed and continued to exist for good business and social reasons. As long as those criteria exist and continue to be nurtured, they will be healthy. Where those things do not exist - or where they are either insufficiently supported or outright abandoned - they will flounder their way to failure.

Edmonton’s downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are at a cross roads and it is fascinating to watch three levels of government continue to fail to recognize their roles and obligations in determining which path we are going to follow.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:33 AM
Community Guy

‒This quarter saw suburban Class A and B vacancy rates return to pre-pandemic numbers, while the downtown submarket experienced a significant spike of 104,000 sq., ft of negative net absorption due to the impact hybrid workplace strategies have made on leasing activity.

https://www.cbre.ca/insights/figures...igures-q3-2022

---

69k (3 floors) of sublet coming back to market in Telus House at ATB Place.

Last edited by Coldrsx; Dec 7, 2022 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 7:16 PM
Community Guy

Leaving Telus House for Stantec.

----

Established in Alberta 100 years ago, Bennett Jones joins Stantec Tower's impressive tenant roster.

EDMONTON, AB, Dec. 19, 2022 /CNW/ - Standing tall in the centre of Edmonton's ICE District, Stantec Tower will welcome Bennett Jones as a new tenant in the coming months. The internationally acclaimed Canadian law firm will occupy 50,000 square feet on the 14th and 15th floors of the tower.

Since its completion in 2019, Stantec Tower has become a landmark in Edmonton's downtown core. Currently managed by Canderel, the 69-storey development is occupied by some of the most distinguished companies in Edmonton. Now, an acclaimed Canadian law firm is set to lease close to 50,000 square feet of space over two floors of the building.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...879658443.html

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 9:30 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 11:55 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:33 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 5:32 PM
Community Guy

Downtown...where all the lights are bright.

https://urbanaffairs.ca/edmonton-ish...eeds-the-help/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:05 PM
Community Guy

Scott Figler
• 1st
Research Director at JLL
5m

Companies continue to right-size their office footprint, adjusting to a new reality of hybrid work. In 2021 many companies ramped up hiring and took on too much space; now many are having to reverse course as the economy slows. This is leading to a surge in sublease availability across major Canadian markets that has almost doubled from pre-pandemic levels. On the flip side, it is creating great opportunities for companies who are looking to grow, and particularly looking for furnished space so that they don't have to spend money on a build out.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-fi...JskUDG5A%3D%3D

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 10:38 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 3:03 PM
Change is good

I usually don't click on sun articles, especially knowing its going to be gunter, but I did, and he's not completely offside this time. Only 90% but has a bit of a true point. Sadly.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 2:47 PM
Community Guy

City Building at the U of A - 2nd Annual

Continuing the Conversation

Welcome to the 2nd Annual City Building Conference presented by the Centre for Cities and Communities at the Alberta School of Business, with special thanks to the Alberta Real Estate Foundation's generous support! This year we will build upon the success of our first conference with more opportunities to connect and collaborate with fellow academics and industry leaders. The day will be filled with presentations, workshops and breakout sessions diving into all things City Building. Registration will include lunch and refreshments throughout the day. See below for a general outline of the day. We look forward to seeing you there!

Conference Registration Fee is $31.50
---

https://app.groupize.com/e/city-building-conference

---
2nd Annual City Building at the U of A Conference

8:00 Registration Begins

8:30 Opening Remarks - Kyle Murray, PhD, Acting Dean, Alberta School of Business

8:45 - 12:05 Morning Sessions include:

Panel – Building a Just City

Chaired by: Damian Collins, PhD, Director, Community Housing Canada Research Partnership, and Professor in the Faculty of Science
Breakout Session 1:

A) Panel - Retail's Growth Outlook

Chaired by: Chad Griffiths, Partner, Associate Broker, NAI Commercial Real Estate
B) Panel - City Building for Changing Demographics

Chaired by: Allison Watson, Associate Vice President, Leger
C) City of Edmonton Zoning Bylaw Renewal and District Planning: Planning for Change

Presentation - Engaging Students in Addressing Complex Challenges

Leo Wong, Associate Dean, School of Business Office of Education
Panel - What goes into housing affordability, and why it matters.

Chaired by: Kalen Anderson, Executive Director, Urban Development Institute (UDI) Edmonton Metro

12:05 LUNCH

1:05 Keynote: Catherine Warren, Chief Executive Officer, Edmonton Unlimited

1:50 - 4:35 Afternoon Sessions include:

Breakout Session 2:

A) Panel - Smart Sustainable Buildings

Eleni Stroulia, PhD, Acting Vice Dean, Faculty of Science
Ahmed Hammad, PhD, PEng, PMP, Associate Professor, Faculty of Engineering
David Dale-Johnson, PhD, Stan Melton Executive Professor and Director, Centre for Cities and Communities
Tracey Didluck, Project Manager, Integrated Planning, Development and Partnerships, U of A Facilities and Operations
B) Research Update - Partnering to Improve and Elevate Health and Wellbeing Outcomes in the Planning and Development of Housing and Neighbourhoods

Karen Lee, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, Director, Housing for Health
C) City of Edmonton Zoning Bylaw Renewal and District Planning: Planning for Change

Panel – The Future of Downtowns, Presented by the Downtown Recovery Coalition

Chaired by: Alexandra Hryciw, Director of Strategy and External Relations, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, Chair, Downtown Recovery Coalition
Breakout Session 3:

A) Presentation – Reimagining Cities in the Post Pandemic World

Paul Messinger, Associate Professor, Alberta School of Business
Kishwar Habib, PhD, Project Lead, Reimagining Architects and Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Alberta
B) Workshop - Why do we not have longer term fixed rate mortgages in Canada?

David Dale-Johnson, PhD, Stan Melton Executive Professor and Director, Centre for Cities and Communities

4:35 - 5:30 Closing Remarks and Reception

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 1:22 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 3:54 PM
Community Guy

Cory WosnackCory Wosnack
• 1st
Principal & Managing Director at Avison Young Commercial Real EstatePrincipal & Managing Director at Avison Young Commercial Real Estate
2m

Some might feel converting buildings is a rare occurrence in our market. In reality, that’s far from the case. There is a long list of buildings in downtown Edmonton that were converted to residential over the past two decades.

To unlock this opportunity, several factors need to occur simultaneously such as low office demand, high vacancy, low cost of acquisition, strong demand for new residential and mostly vacant buildings that have the basic structural components to lend itself to another use.

A residential strategy is one of the best ways to make downtowns feel safer and boost its micro economy.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cory-wos...risecities.com

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 2:07 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton