HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:25 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
A great recent take on that was “we have larger homes for smaller families, so that we have a place for all the stuff that we don’t need.”
LOL...aka hoarding disorder.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I'm not saying its not desirable. I never said that.

I'm simply stating I understand why somebody would want to be in a 6,000 sf custom build colonial revival home with all the modern accoutrements overlooking Aronimink Golf Course or the Springton Reservoir or in a community like Licester that has a club house, pool, etc minutes from the Main Line.

There are buyers for all of them. And they're both wonderful places in their own right.
I didn’t take it that way. I just think that, from a certain perspective, Havertown is already among the “most desirable“ suburbs, given the rapid over-asking sales around here. It does not offer the zip code cachet of- or the size or luxury of some homes on - the main line and its satellites (although, truth be told, we are a satellite to Wynnewood and Ardmore). However, it does offer location location location plus a more “townish” vibe with those in that market.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:34 PM

Hey all! My Philadelphia 2022 Photo Thread Part 3 is up! Check it out!

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...20#post9856820

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 4:10 PM

Philadelphia developer proposes $65 million luxury resort at Jersey Shore

Quote:
A Philadelphia developer is breaking into the Jersey Shore market with plans to build a more than $65 million luxury resort on 30 acres of land in Cape May County.

The Brickstone Cos.' President John Connors Sr. said the company is proposing a full-service "woodland retreat," dubbed the "Clermont Lodge," off the intersection of routes 83 and 9 in Cape May Courthouse. The location, an undeveloped patch of woods, is a few miles inland from both Sea Isle City and Avalon.

Site plans from Brickstone, the owner of the Lits Building and other Center City properties, shows a total of 120 overnight accommodations across the property's 56-room main lodge, 40 bungalows and 24 one- and two-bedroom cottages. The approximately 50,000-square-foot main lodge will also feature a restaurant and bar and spa services.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ay-resort.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 5:45 PM
Me?!?

Work on Cynwyd Trail extension in Lower Merion Township to begin later this year

The new trail will add a new link between Lower Merion and West Philadelphia
https://www.mainlinemedianews.com/20...ter-this-year/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:40 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Why do $800k townhomes seem "odd in Delco"?
Ok I had a poor choice of words. That part of Delco isn't Essington...for sure. If they were selling townhomes for 800K where I live I'd think it would be odd.

The older single home housing stock that is literally across West Chester Pike that sits on more land aren't commanding 800K. That's why it seems odd to me.

It will all look nice when it's done but the prices just seem out of whack. The Newtown Walk units at Ellis are reselling only in the 600's. They need to have a ton of bells and whistles and top of the line finishes on the inside and have community amenities like pool and gym for these prices to try to justify the prices. The single homes across West Chester Pike are going for 400-600K but they have land.

Last edited by PhillyRising; Feb 8, 2023 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:42 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Very strange. Newtown Square is gorgeous. Top schools lowest taxes in Delaware County. Steps from Episcopal and the Main Line. Just odd frankly coming from somebody that lives in an exurb half way to Lancaster.
You don't have to be insulting.

I live in Eagleview which is a well planned and walkable community...far more walkable than for anyone living in Newtown Square. Google Eagleview Town Squre and see all of the businesses we have outside our front door. I can also walk to the Giant or the Target closeby withou having to take my life in my hands dodging traffic on a busy highway. Try walking along West Chester Pike. Nobody in Newtown Sqaure is walking to the Acme or even the Whole Foods. Also...I can walk from my apartment all the way to Downingtown using the miles and miles of walking trails that are here. I can walk from here to Marsh Creek State park using the walking trails. I can also take a bus that starts here to Exton and then on to Paoli..get on Regional Rail and get myself into Philadelphia without having to get into a car. So don't act like i live in some no sidewalk souless cul de sac far off the main road where I have to use a car for everything. You don't know me and you obviously have never been to where I live or how I can go about my day.

I also wasn't insulting Newtown Square. I like working there. I would live there as well if I felt like moving. I just don't see how they can command that much money for a townhouse there that crammed in on that development. They are sitting between a hotel/shopping center and a corporate campus/apartments and along side Route 3. They are not a few miles away up in the horse country estates. Newtown Square isn't Radnor. It's mostly a very nice middle class and well kept township that has some expensive real estate on the north side of it, but has mostly a lot of middle class housing that soon going to become unaffordable thanks to these homes pushing up prices. I could see 600K at most but not 800K. I'm there four days a week. I think I can comment on some place where I spend a good part of my week. I literally work hundreds of feet away from these home and go past them every time leave the parking garage to go home from work. How often are you there?

Last edited by PhillyRising; Feb 8, 2023 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:50 PM
PHL

Speaking of Newtown Square, i like it a lot but it's ruled out for me because of the very dumb decision to close down the Regional Rail line that used to end there. I just do not want to live near Philadelphia and have no rail access to it without driving to Langhorne.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 6:21 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
Ok I had a poor choice of words. That part of Delco isn't Essington...for sure. If they were selling townhomes for 800K where I live I'd think it would be odd.

The older single home housing stock that is literally across West Chester Pike that sits on more land aren't commanding 800K. That's why it seems odd to me.

It will all look nice when it's done but the prices just seem out of whack. The Newtown Walk units at Ellis are reselling only in the 600's. They need to have a ton of bells and whistles and top of the line finishes on the inside and have community amenities like pool and gym for these prices to try to justify the prices. The single homes across West Chester Pike are going for 400-600K but they have land.
People like new. New homes in that area rightfully sell well, and from what I read re-sales have been mostly at a premium.

Per the last sentence, where are you referring to? I see a few older singles and split-levels on nearby Brookside Road recently sold for mid/upper $500s. But they were modest in size, needed updates, and still commanded relatively high price per square foot costs, which doesn't prove anything from an affordability standpoint. Most singles listed in the $400-$600k range are ranchers, small cape cods, and colonials that need work.

Quote:

I also wasn't insulting Newtown Square. I like working there. I would live there as well if I felt like moving. I just don't see how they can command that much money for a townhouse there that crammed in on that development. They are sitting between a hotel/shopping center and a corporate campus/apartments and along side Route 3. They are not a few miles away up in the horse country estates. Newtown Square isn't Radnor. It's mostly a very nice middle class and well kept township that has some expensive real estate on the north side of it, but has mostly a lot of middle class housing that soon going to become unaffordable thanks to these homes pushing up prices. I could see 600K at most but not 800K. I'm there four days a week. I think I can comment on some place where I spend a good part of my week. I literally work hundreds of feet away from these home and go past them every time leave the parking garage to go home from work. How often are you there?
Not Radnor, but getting closer. I also wouldn't categorize Newtown Square as mostly middle class.

The median sale price for a home is well over $700k, and median household income ~$123k. I would categorize Newtown Square as largely upper middle class, pockets of middle class, and a growing wealthy populous.

It's a conveniently located area, generally beautiful, good amenities, major corporate presence, minutes from other desirable towns, great public schools, top-tier private schools, and home to prestigious country & golf clubs. You may not find $800k townhouses worth it, but certainly not a shocking price for that area. Real estate is expensive everywhere, especially in desirable suburbs.

Some interesting links.

1. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...re_PA/overview
Real estate map of Newtown Square. Expensive real estate is present in many areas, not just the North side of town.

2. https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/19073/housing-market
General housing states for the township.

3. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ne...typennsylvania
Recent census stats.

4. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...quare_PA/sby-6
Current real estate listings in the township.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Feb 8, 2023 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Speaking of Newtown Square, i like it a lot but it's ruled out for me because of the very dumb decision to close down the Regional Rail line that used to end there. I just do not want to live near Philadelphia and have no rail access to it without driving to Langhorne.
Langhorne? Are you thinking of Newtown, Bucks? There's never been regional rail to Newtown Square, Delco. There used to be a trolley (until 1954) from 69th to West Chester down the WC Pike median.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 10:42 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
There was never any regional rail there. There was a trolley line that went down West Chester Pike but that went away decades ago. It's a shame it did.

People in Newtown Square either have to go up 252 to Paoli or Daylesford to get on the Paoli/Thorndale line or they go south on it and get on the Wawa line at Media or Rose Valley. Or...they just get one one of two bus routes that traverse West Chester Pike to 69th Street and transfer to the El. Personally...I'd take the bus and the EL...you probably get into town faster.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 11:12 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
People like new. New homes in that area rightfully sell well, and from what I read re-sales have been mostly at a premium.

Per the last sentence, where are you referring to? I see a few older singles and split-levels on nearby Brookside Road recently sold for mid/upper $500s. But they were modest in size, needed updates, and still commanded relatively high price per square foot costs, which doesn't prove anything from an affordability standpoint. Most singles listed in the $400-$600k range are ranchers, small cape cods, and colonials that need work.

Not Radnor, but getting closer. I also wouldn't categorize Newtown Square as mostly middle class.

The median sale price for a home is well over $700k, and median household income ~$123k. I would categorize Newtown Square as largely upper middle class, pockets of middle class, and a growing wealthy populous.

It's a conveniently located area, generally beautiful, good amenities, major corporate presence, minutes from other desirable towns, great public schools, top-tier private schools, and home to prestigious country & golf clubs. You may not find $800k townhouses worth it, but certainly not a shocking price for that area. Real estate is expensive everywhere, especially in desirable suburbs.

Some interesting links.

1. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...re_PA/overview
Real estate map of Newtown Square. Expensive real estate is present in many areas, not just the North side of town.

2. https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/19073/housing-market
General housing states for the township.

3. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ne...typennsylvania
Recent census stats.

4. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...quare_PA/sby-6
Current real estate listings in the township.
Look at the homes along Elgin/Eliis and School Lane...I looked on Zillow to see what there were listing as and it was about 400-600K. These are the older homes closest to these new homes going up. Again...mostly from the 50's and 60's but it looks like some tear down and rebuilds have gone in and they do trend higher. I just would like to know how they estimated these new home to be worth that much in this location. I would love to know how the elevators are going in because I have yet to see one house with any cement elevator shafts being built as they frame the houses. I guess they must be more of a lift anchored in the basement.

I just find home/apartment prices way too high. I think my $2300 a month for a two bedroom here where I live to be insane. There are units in the new building on our square that go for well over 3000 a month...in Chester County. To me...that is a luxury Center City highrise rent price...not out here.

I though when I sold my townhouse in Exton for $310K in 2014 that it was crazy. It just sold again for 450K!!! They didn't really do much to it other than paint everything, replace a few appliances and a new AC unit. That's how crazy these prices are....it's mind boggling.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I though when I sold my townhouse in Exton for $310K in 2014 that it was crazy. It just sold again for 450K!!! They didn't really do much to it other than paint everything, replace a few appliances and a new AC unit. That's how crazy these prices are....it's mind boggling.
Again, though, it's 2023. Real estate is much more expensive compared to even 5 years ago all across America, even many areas globally. 800K used to get you an ultra-luxury "1%-er" type home as few as 10 years ago, but it's now just an upper-middle class price point.

This is especially true in pretty much all major metro areas. $2300/month also sounds pretty reasonable for a 2-BR in highly-sought Chester County. Comparably desirable suburban areas in other metro areas would cost at least 20% more.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 12:38 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Comparably desirable suburban areas in other metro areas would cost at least 20% more.
I guess it depends on how you are looking at it but Chester County (Exton) is about 33 miles from CC so comparing that way if you go 33 miles from DC you can pay an easy $500 less in rent than that 2 BR $2300/month figure, and DC is more expensive than here of course.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Langhorne? Are you thinking of Newtown, Bucks? There's never been regional rail to Newtown Square, Delco. There used to be a trolley (until 1954) from 69th to West Chester down the WC Pike median.
Newtown > Newtown Square

Just throwing that out there.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Newtown > Newtown Square

Just throwing that out there.
Oh, easily. Newtown has an actual cohesive fabric of a town. If they had their train back it'd be no contest.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 11:54 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Again, though, it's 2023. Real estate is much more expensive compared to even 5 years ago all across America, even many areas globally. 800K used to get you an ultra-luxury "1%-er" type home as few as 10 years ago, but it's now just an upper-middle class price point.

This is especially true in pretty much all major metro areas. $2300/month also sounds pretty reasonable for a 2-BR in highly-sought Chester County. Comparably desirable suburban areas in other metro areas would cost at least 20% more.
I have noticed that the rents on available apartments in my complex are slightly down...not by much but down nevertheless. A unit in my building has been vacant since October.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:40 PM
Me?!?

It's a shame that it was left to deteriorate and it could be a nice attraction:

Norristown Preservation Society: Old Airy Street prison is in danger
https://www.timesherald.com/2023/02/...-is-in-danger/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:46 PM
PHL

Yes I was referring to Newtown sorry not Newtown Square.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 1:53 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
It's a shame that it was left to deteriorate and it could be a nice attraction:

Norristown Preservation Society: Old Airy Street prison is in danger
https://www.timesherald.com/2023/02/...-is-in-danger/
It would have made a nice small art museum and it's been a crime that there has been a parking lot next to it for the last 45 yeas. That used to be where the old boro hall stood from the late 1800's and it was a gem of building on the outside. It got torn down after the built the current one a few blocks away in the 70's

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations