HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So the criticism here is that sending the Airtrain east would add to the travel time, so then why don't they send it WEST along the Grand Central Parkway to meet up and connect with the N train in Astoria instead?
Bingo!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 9:17 PM

Besides being faster to Manhattan, the N Train is less crowded than the 7 and also goes downtown and eventually to Brooklyn, serving a wider area of the city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 1:01 AM

^ To your point. From. Pretty obvious extending the N/R is the better choice.

Jackson Heights is not possible because of NIMBY's

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 1:09 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
So the criticism here is that sending the Airtrain east would add to the travel time, so then why don't they send it WEST along the Grand Central Parkway to meet up and connect with the N train in Astoria instead?
well extending the astoria subway has always seemed like the best option. but re this plan i would say cheaper, easier and less disruptive maybe. also you get the lirr bonus at willets. oh and that the practically lawless pa does whatever the hell it wants to. that too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 1:40 AM

No, you guys are not understanding me. I am not talking about extending the N line. They tried going down that road and it didn't work because of resistance.

I am talking about the Airtain going from LGA on the GCP to the N train Astoria Blvd station. Basically, in that illustration above, following the yellow colored line and instead heading down to Jackson Heights, it would continue on the Parkway until it meets the second station on the black colored line.

Do you guys see what I'm saying?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
No, you guys are not understanding me. I am not talking about extending the N line. They tried going down that road and it didn't work because of resistance.

I am talking about the Airtain going from LGA on the GCP to the N train Astoria Blvd station. Basically, in that illustration above, following the yellow colored line and instead heading down to Jackson Heights, it would continue on the Parkway until it meets the second station on the black colored line.

Do you guys see what I'm saying?

Makes sense...Run it west along the GCP to the Astoria Blvd/Hoyt Ave Elevated Station. Only issue might be before Steinway/GCP where the freight line/Amtrak elevated line that goes to the Hellgate Bridge intersects the GCP...you might have to go over it..definitely not enough room to go under it.

There would have to be an extra stop along the way. The Jackson Hole Diner stop, for anyone wanting a burger and fies! (:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:25 AM

The N proposal was tried as well, and was also shot down by N.I.M.B.Y.'s. The people in Astoria didn't want an elevated line in their Neighborhood .

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 2:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
well extending the astoria subway has always seemed like the best option. but re this plan i would say cheaper, easier and less disruptive maybe. also you get the lirr bonus at willets. oh and that the practically lawless pa does whatever the hell it wants to. that too.
That LIRR connection would be a bonus, but it connects to the one line that doesn't connect to the rest of the LIRR system. So it won't benefit anyone coming from LIRR the way the Airtrain connection at Jamaica does.

They're building along the Grand Central right of way anyway, so a connection presumably could have been built to connect to the N train, just not at the last stop.

But I guess anything is better than nothing at this point.

Anyway, Anthony Weiner's back!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2087690

Weiner: Cuomo's AirTrain to LaGuardia plan steps up to the plate but needs more
Instead of a train to an already-mobbed Flushing line and its 16 local stops, the better approach is to extend the N/Q terminus in Astoria,
so we can have a true one-seat ride and eight stops to 'the city.'

January 21, 2015

Quote:
For a city that’s a magnet for business travel and tourism, with arguably the best transit system in the world, it is an enduring shame that we don’t have an easy way to get back and forth to Kennedy and LaGuardia airports.

So kudos to Gov. Cuomo for stepping up to the plate and offering a solution — sort of — with the idea of building an AirTrain-type connection to the 7 train at Willets Point in Queens.

But if we are going to solve this problem, we should do it right.

Instead of a train to an already-mobbed Flushing line and its 16 local stops, the better approach is to extend the N/Q terminus in Astoria, so we can have a true one-seat ride and eight stops to “the city.”

While the 7 is one of the most fun and interesting lines to travel, and you would get to see a baseball stadium that may someday host a true major league team again, it makes little sense to shuttle people and their bags a mile and a half in the wrong direction only to have them get off and hop on a subway.

It might cost more and need some serious political muscle, but the appeal of the one-seat ride to the heart of Manhattan would ease traffic, reduce pollution and make our travels more civilized.

But we shouldn’t completely shelve the LaGuardia AirTrain idea. We should extend the JFK AirTrain to connect to its sister Queens airport.

This would take traffic off the Van Wyck and make New York into a hugely appealing superhub for airlines.

I remember the original plan to build the Airtrain from JFK to LaGuardia. From the LIRR system map below, you can see how little a connection to the Willets Point station will do to connect with the system. It's almost irrelevant, with the 7 subway line virtually offering the same service.

If they were able to build to Jamaica meanwhile, not only with it connect virtually all of the LIRR system to LaGuardia, but a rail connection to Brooklyn (either by subway or LIRR) would be possible as well. Far more people would benefit.

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:56 AM

Is that official? Haven't they gotten approved? When they will extend AirTrain from JFK to LGA? Is that one-seat ride?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:32 AM
BANNED

This is a joke. NYC is a world class city and needs to do a transit link to an airport properly like it's overseas competitors in a world class manner. I can't believe they proposed a rail route that would take longer than bus routes. Nuts. The JFK link was half-assed enough (excuse my French) and takes forever to get into the city. I would have thought that they'd have learnt their lessons this time around and would have perhaps avoided such disappointing solutions. Instead of going all the way with something that could be truly valuable addition to the city that would be coveted by business travellers, they are going to be making the same foolish cost-cutting mistake again just because it is the easier option politically. They will not capture the business market. I think they should can the idea for a while until someone with half a brain comes up with a service that is worthy of LaGuardia and NYC. The AirTrain to JFK is just pathetic when you compare it to NYC's GLOBAL COMPETITORS. LaGuardia is the business hub of the city, it deserves something that business traveler are going to use and not avoid like that toy train to Kennedy.

Last edited by aquablue; Feb 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 1:33 PM
New Yorker for life

http://gothamist.com/2015/02/10/nyc_..._suck_ofco.php

New York Airports Ranked The Least Accessible On Earth, Study Finds

Quote:
A study released today by Global Gateway Alliance ranks JFK and LaGuardia among the least public-transit accessible airports, compared with the rest of the world's busiest airports. Factors considered include travel time, cost, mode and number of transfers.

The most efficient airport was found to be Spain's Madrid-Barajas, which shuttles passengers to and from the city's center in just 16 minutes with zero transfers. Remarkable, especially compared with JFK's 47-minute hell slog, though to be fair, this figure would vary wildly depending on your destination—most of us do not rest our heads in Times Square. Remarkably, LaGuardia was ranked slightly less awful than JFK, despite its lack of subway access. It ranked third worst along with LAX in Los Angeles, Istanbul Atatürk, South Korea’s Incheon and Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta.

Governor Cuomo last month announced plans to build an AirTrain to LaGuardia in the coming years, to connect with the 7 train and the LIRR at Willetts Point. He also mentioned the possibility of a high speed ferry terminal to connect LaGuardia to Manhattan, as well as a hotel business center and retail shopping at the airport.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/10/nyc-air...-in-the-world/

NYC airport commute the worst in the world

By Rebecca Harshbarger
February 10, 2015

Quote:
New York City’s airports are rock-bottom when it comes to getting to them by subway, bus and rails, according to a new analysis.

Even though New York is supposed to be a transit-friendly city, its metro airports were socked in the Global Gateway Alliance survey by cities like Atlanta and Phoenix.

The 30 busiest airports around the globe and their mass-transit options were looked at by the airport advocacy group.

JFK tied with Denver’s airport for last place due to the 47-minute trip it takes from Penn Station to get there via the LIRR and Air Train.

I have to say though, that "47-minute commute" from JFK to Manhattan is a little off. I've done it a few times, but I suppose it depends on what terminal you leave from. The airtrain trip itself is less than 5 minutes once you leave the airport. And of course, if you don't know how to do it, it could add to the time.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
[url]
I have to say though, that "47-minute commute" from JFK to Manhattan is a little off. I've done it a few times, but I suppose it depends on what terminal you leave from. The airtrain trip itself is less than 5 minutes once you leave the airport. And of course, if you don't know how to do it, it could add to the time.
I think that duration is pretty believable, however taking a cab/car to JFK is a total crap shoot depending on traffic and costs a hell of a lot more. Depending on where I am exactly I'll either take the E train or LIRR with the subway trip being slightly longer. It doesn't bother me because I'm not sitting in parked traffic wondering if I'll actually make it to the airport with enough time. It would be great if the trip was quicker but that it is a reliable amount of time (at far less cost) is quite helpful for planning.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:29 PM

When you get beat by Phoenix, then you pretty much suck.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:25 PM

LaGuardia Airport's Long-Awaited Makeover Stalls, Yet Again

Thursday, February 19, 2015
Jessica Dailey

Quote:
Hey, remember when the Port Authority said they would choose a design team in January and get started on the desperately needed makeover of LaGuardia Airport? Yeah, they were just kidding about that. No design team has been chosen, and according to the Journal, a team won't be chosen for several more months, making this approximately the 907th delay for the $3.6 billion plan to completely overhaul the airport's central terminal building. The latest delay can be blamed on Governor Cuomo's announcement of a design competition for ideas to remake all three area airports. The Port Authority decided that "it would be prudent to see what the conceptual design is before proceeding with the process."

The Port Authority first announced plans to replace LaGuardia's terminal building in late 2012. In March 2013, they started overhauling a parking garage. In January 2014, it looked like the Port Authority would choose a design team by spring, and we were teased with some wishful renderings in March. A few more months past, and in July, the Port Authority said they'd choose a team by September. September came, and they pushed the decision to October 22. And then in October, Cuomo came in with this new design competition, but he expected the central terminal plans for LaGuardia to keep progressing. Nothing was announced on October 22 (obviously), but on December 10, the Port Authority was supposed to reveal the two finalists. Nada.

The Journal reports that the bidders agree to wait until the end of April for a decision, but that timeline doesn't line up with the timeline for Cuomo's competition, for which submissions were due February 2. The Port Authority supposedly has three finalists in the running, but it's anyone's guess as to when they might be identified.

People involved with the process are annoyed at the delays and worried that the $3.6 billion price tag will only go up as the project drags on (to which we say: duh). Even with all of the setbacks, the Port Authority still says the expected completion date is 2021, but honestly, who believes that?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some info on Laguardia Convention Center or 112-21 Northern Boulevard: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=589

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
LaGuardia Airport's Long-Awaited Makeover Stalls, Yet Again

Thursday, February 19, 2015
Jessica Dailey
LGA need get 3 or 4 new runway!!! Come on you guys!!! They need expansion more new gates space and reduced the congestion. Reduce delays, and reduce taxi time.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 5:23 PM

For lots of reasons, that's just not going to happen. What could happen, without too much trouble, is to change the runways from crossing to parallel. I outlned this before. Fill in the old seaplane basin. Get rid of 4-22. Build a new terminal complex at the 22 end of that. Demolish all the old terminal. Build a new 10,000' 13R-31L where the old terminals were, about 1,000' south of the existing runway. Extend the existing 13-31 to 9,000' and make it 13L-31R. With the intersection gone, you pick up 20 to 30 operations an hour. Yes, you lose crosswind capability, but that's only necessary about 4% of the time.

Oh, and for access, run a spur off the N line at Astoria Blvd, and run an elevated track right above the Grand Central Parkway to the new terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
LGA need get 3 or 4 new runway!!! Come on you guys!!! They need expansion more new gates space and reduced the congestion. Reduce delays, and reduce taxi time.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 5:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:54 PM

LGA, as it sits, was obsolete thirty years ago. It's just been left to rot, essentially.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 3:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

City's homeless seeks shelter at LaGuardia

Quote:
From a distance, Joseph Sowards looks like any traveler stuck for the night at LaGuardia Airport's central terminal after his flight was canceled. Get closer, and it becomes clear from his layered clothing and dirty hands that he's one of New York City's record number of homeless.

"They don't bother me here," said Mr. Sowards, 44, an unlicensed plumber from Maspeth, Queens, who was lying on the floor. He's been sleeping in parks and abandoned buildings for the past 10 years.

While the homeless population is bigger at the Port Authority bus terminal and Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan, a growing number are finding shelter at New York's airports, according to Volunteers of America. Since 1986, the 118-year-old nonprofit has provided outreach to the homeless at LaGuardia and John F. Kennedy International airports under a contract with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Mr. Sowards was one of about two dozen people who had taken shelter in LaGuardia's 50-year-old central terminal on a subfreezing night this month. They slept in seats at the baggage claim and waiting areas and on radiators in the presecurity food court. They used restroom sinks to wash, and some with suitcases blended in with other stranded travelers.

Volunteers of America, which has offices at LaGuardia and JFK, counted a monthly average of 45 chronic homeless people at LaGuardia in 2014, an 80 percent increase over the average month in 2011. On the coldest nights, as many as 50 took refuge at LaGuardia in East Elmhurst, Queens. JFK's chronic homeless increased to an average of 33 per month, double the number in 2011.

"There's some new faces," said Sharan Kaur, an assistant general manager at Auntie Anne's Pretzels, who's worked at LaGuardia for five years.
Conditions at the airports reflect the growth of homelessness in the most populous U.S. city. Every night, more than 60,000 people--almost 26,000 of them children--sleep in shelters, an increase of about 20,000 in three years, according to the Coalition for the Homeless, a New York-based advocacy group.
====================================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...r-at-laguardia

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development