HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 6:37 PM

these small underground garages here and at the McMaster residence are making for some excellently quick projects!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
these small underground garages here and at the McMaster residence are making for some excellently quick projects!
Imagine the speed savings Toronto is going to see with the removal of parking minimums. There will likely be plenty of buildings with parking garages, but many more will be built now without and this should both make more buildings profitable and possible, and also speed things up considerably. Previously undevelopable sites will be ripe for redevelopment.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:24 PM

Columns for the first floor have started to be poured and rebar in place for continued pouring:

Apologies for the bad night photo:

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 4:02 AM
Forever forward.

Progress as of today:

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:05 AM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 12:46 AM

The site as of yesterday.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:59 AM

Coming right along. I'd expect it to top out sometime in the summer at this rate.

I'm really excited to see 41 Wilson get started. Should be really soon. Same developer, so I'm expecting a similar pace.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 10:30 PM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 1:49 AM

1 Jarvis
by Pulkvedis Pods, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 12:01 PM

Haven't been many updates on this one..but it looks like they are getting to the fourth floor now

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 11:19 PM

Small update.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:35 AM

They were working on this today, Saturday

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 10:00 PM

What allowed this project to go through so quickly in comparison to some other condo starts in Hamilton? Was it that Kiwi beside sort of paved the way to make this similar in size proposal go through without a hiccup?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 10:07 PM

There's a bunch of reasons, but it seems like Emblem has a big bank account to push things forward, and this is in an area with very little residential that could justifiably push back. The same reason we see industrial lands getting dense development so quickly too.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:25 AM

Very little or no NIMBYism in the area!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 1:40 PM

It's a combination of as-of-right zoning which all of Downtown Hamilton has, which limits the approvals process to a technical details site plan approval process only, a well financed project from a developer with deep pockets, and a project which sold out basically overnight meaning it could start very quickly.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 9:53 PM

Quote:
It's a combination of as-of-right zoning which all of Downtown Hamilton has, which limits the approvals process to a technical details site plan approval process only, a well financed project from a developer with deep pockets, and a project which sold out basically overnight meaning it could start very quickly.
Thanks! Curious what outside of ward 2 as of right zoning is like; outside of the LRT corridor wondering what other efforts have been made to quicken the process.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimetoomany View Post
Thanks! Curious what outside of ward 2 as of right zoning is like; outside of the LRT corridor wondering what other efforts have been made to quicken the process.
IIRC Hamilton also has a lot of as-of-right zoning across the LRT corridor.

The Eastgate Mall redevelopment has several 20-storey buildings proposed as that is the as-of-right density they already have that they can move on while their zoning amendment is processed for the taller buildings.

Generally Hamilton is very unusual in Ontario by having a significant amount of as of right density, most municipalities have existing zoning being very restrictive.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 3:17 PM

Quote:
IIRC Hamilton also has a lot of as-of-right zoning across the LRT corridor.

The Eastgate Mall redevelopment has several 20-storey buildings proposed as that is the as-of-right density they already have that they can move on while their zoning amendment is processed for the taller buildings.

Generally Hamilton is very unusual in Ontario by having a significant amount of as of right density, most municipalities have existing zoning being very restrictive.
Id call this a good thing and a fun fact I wasn’t even aware of. With the way zoning has contributed to many contemporary urban issues and providing housing supply, as-of-right zoning really helps streamline what is already a complicated and laborious process. Glad to learn Hamilton’s taking a proactive approach.

What I’m curious about now is why we have a plethora of as-of-right zoning. I suspect it lies in either a) planning have enough time on their hands to create secondary plans and the various zoning designations, or b) legacy zoning that allowed/allows for ample development which didn’t come in the past as a result of our economic slump. Option c) is that Hamilton is actually just really on the ball planning-wise now

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 3:30 PM

I'd suggest that despite the hate on Thorne here, Thorne is a very progressive and thoughtful urban planner. His staff have crafted great policy that encourages development throughout the city. I understand the hate for the height restrictions, but speaking to him about it, it makes sense. With LRT, demand will be stretched throughout the city, and at the same time the city wants redevelopment of the downtown, and without a height limit, the density demand would be met by fewer buildings, and speculation of the downtown would increase. It's actually sound policy, though it has its flaws.

The current zoning policy of Hamilton isn't perfect, but it's pretty decent. The most recent changes really improved the environment, but I'd like to see further changes to reduce restrictions. Toronto is a great place to take some ideas from like the removal of parking minimums, and the allowance of certain types of commercial in residentially zoned neighbourhoods. Hamilton recently allowed up to 4-plexes as well in many parts of the city, however it's only if the building looks like a single family house, which is a not great policy.

Im a big fan of many of the zoning policies in Hamilton. I'd like to see the TOC be expanded a bit both adding it to future transit lines, like the A-line, but also increasing the distance from stations. TOC zoning should expand at least 750m from any LRT station. Some places it is like 20m then back to detached housing zoning which is obviously nuts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton