HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

View Poll Results: Your pick for the Promenade Park at Pier 8
Hamilton: Hammer City 1 7.14%
Pier 8 Escarpment Park 5 35.71%
VIEW Hamilton: Past Present Future 0 0%
Cove 7 50.00%
Proposal 5 1 7.14%
A Place to Breathe 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

Proposals for Pier 8 Promenade Park

The city will announce the winning design in mid-September, with construction to begin next spring.

1. "Hamilton: Hammer City"

Team: Forrec Ltd. with CIMA+; exp Services Inc.; Creative Irrigation Solutions Inc. (CIS); Andrew Davies Public Art Consulting; and Altus.

2. "Pier 8 Escarpment Park"

Team: gh3 with Lightemotion; Applied Wayfinding; Moses Structural Engineers; Moon Matz; Fabian Papa and Partners; Brad Golden & Co.; Creative Irrigation Solutions Inc. (CIS); and BTY.

3. "VIEW Hamilton: Past Present Future"

Team: Hargreaves Associates with Invizij Architects; MTE Consultants; Smart Watering Systems; Suzanne Powadiuk Design; Public Art Management (PAM); and A.W. Hooker Quantity Surveyors.

4. "Cove"

Team: Janet Rosenberg & Studio with Teeple Architects; Ombrages-Eclairage Public; Dew; exp Services Inc.; Art Strategies Inc.; Smart Watering Systems; and Turner & Townsend.

5. Proposal 5

By PFS Studio with OMC Landscape Architecture; Bortolotto; public art consultant Ciara McKeown; Ombrages-Eclairage Public; SLA; exp Services Inc.; Creative Irrigation Solutions Inc. (CIS); and Hanscomb.

6. "A Place to Breathe"

Team: The MBTW Group with PWL Partnership; RAW Design; AMEC Foster Wheeler; Kirkland Engineering Ltd.; Blackwell Structural Engineers; Brad Golden & Co.; Beaches Irrigation; and A.W. Hooker Quantity Surveyors.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:38 PM

Pier 8 winner will be announced this morning

The City of Hamilton will announce the winning design for Pier 8 Promenade Park at an event Friday morning.

The announcement will be made at 11 a.m. and is expected to include Mayor Fred Eisenberger, Jason Thorne, General Manager of Planning and Economic Development with the city and others.

Six designs were shortlisted for the park design and the public was able to comment on them until Sept. 10. A volunteer jury of experts selected the winner based on: innovation, response to the vision and goals for the park, design excellence and community opinions.

The event will be held at Pier 8 at the Waterfront Trail.

Construction on the park is expected to start in the spring.

The Hamilton Spectator

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:17 PM

Forrec was announced as the winner, design was "Hammer City"

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:40 PM

How disappointing there were at least three better proposals than that one

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

More info on Hamilton: Hammer City

https://d3fpllf1m7bbt3.cloudfront.ne...rec-design.pdf

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
How disappointing there were at least three better proposals than that one
And edit: two others that weren't, personally I'm quite content that we managed to get something decent enough as this. Not overly generic, nor ornamental.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

'Hammer City' design wins competition for Hamilton's Pier 8 promenade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...nade-1.4302288

Pier 8's waterfront promenade will be designed around a theme that plays off the city's industrial and waterfront heritage.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger announced Friday that the winning submission in the design competition for the new waterfront development comes from Toronto-based Forrec Ltd.

The design is called "Hammer City" and features three distinct spaces along the sides of Pier 8.

The jury that selected the winner described it has employing "materials and features that reflect the marine and industrial heritage of the site, to create a unique sense of place that will become a destination along the Waterfront Trail."

The Forrec Ltd. team will work with the City's Waterfront Development team to develop a detailed design and documents to implement their proposal, the city said in a press release.

Construction on the park is anticipated to begin in spring 2018.

Scott Torrance, Forrec's practice lead for landscape architecture, told reporters at the announcement that designers were "inspired by the city's deep rooted history."

"We really wanted to get a sense of place about here, Hamilton," he said. "We see this as the place Hamilton would come together to gather and celebrate together."

He said the design includes a beach, a games terrace, a cafe, and playground space, as well as "wetland remediation gardens," as a nod to Hamilton's industrial past, and the green space that was destroyed by heavy industry on the water.

Design images show the east side of the pier featuring a pavillion with a crane-like structure, where events like movie nights, arts shows, farmer's market's and concerts would be held, complete with a floating stage, set against the industrial skyline.

On the longer north side is the "boatworks promenade," which incorperates the steel hulls of freighter boats into its design structure.

Separating them at the transition between the north and east sides is an open, undefined, industrial-themed space called the Landing.

"Getting this right and making it a dynamic and exciting place to be was critically important," Mayor Fred Eisenberger said at the announcement.

Six proposals were submitted as part of the design. Forrec's was chosen by an expert jury including architects and artists, and after considering almost 300 comment submissions from the public, the city says.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 10:14 PM

I'm pleased with this. Was my 2nd favourite after Rosenberg. I love the gantry pavilion, the wooden boardwalk and the many uses appealing to many different people. Kids playground, beach area, basketball, ping pong, bocce, cafe with patio, amphitheatre and the cool art installation in the NE corner of the site.
IF it gets built as rendered, it'll be a hot spot for sure.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 11:13 PM

So, what's the plan here? I haven't been paying the closest attention to this development, but I think I'm paying enough attention to know more than I know. What is the time line for this? Is this just the park? Is the park being built first? Are they designing and building the buildings too? When will they start building the condos and (hopefully) apartments?

So many questions. Maybe I'm just ignorant, anyone know?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:16 AM
Ham-burgher

I like this choice. I voted for Pier 8 Escarpment Park but hemmed and hawed about choosing this one. I like the rusted steel (didn't know they were ships hulls until today) and the wooden boardwalk. It's a nice mix of uses. And the gantry section is neat.

To be honest I think any of those proposals would have been fine. I'm more concerned with the quality and form of what gets built behind them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:08 PM

deleted

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
So, what's the plan here? I haven't been paying the closest attention to this development, but I think I'm paying enough attention to know more than I know. What is the time line for this? Is this just the park? Is the park being built first? Are they designing and building the buildings too? When will they start building the condos and (hopefully) apartments?

The public space is being built first. Thoughtful article about the plan in Saturday Globe and Mail. Hope this link works. https://tgam.ca/2wNKNql

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 1:13 AM

Not to get off-topic but the subheading of that Globe article threw me a little: 'Drawing heavily on the city's history of shipbuilding and heavy industry, new "Hammer City" space resonates with the community...'

Is that a thing? Shipping, yes, but I was unaware of our history as a shipbuilding city.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

In this link, it'll answer most of your questions

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...43#post7932143

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 8:17 PM

I'm pretty pleased this one was chosen. My biggest complaint was the name but that's now apparently been changed to 'Harbour City'. I thought a few of the submissions were way too understated, this one could really define the waterfront and help make it a destination.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues