HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 12:39 AM

It's not the oldest church, but it's quite old and being demolished by Stanton Renaissance!

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 1:58 PM

thespec.com - Church demo needed before designs complete, says developer

Apr 18, 2014
By Meredith MacLeod

The owner of a heritage-designated former Baptist church on James Street South says he will have concept plans to show in about four weeks, but the demolition of the back portion of the stone building must begin before then.

"It's a safety issue," Louie Santaguida told the city's municipal heritage committee Thursday. He said he is pushing his engineers and architects to get plans together, but it takes time.

"Why does it need to come down now before we know what will go in its place?" pressed committee member Paul Wilson, a Hamilton Spectator columnist.

Santaguida said he couldn't share his plan yet, because "it's changing as we meet every day." He did say he plans to build a multi-storey development, including residential units, cafés, restaurants and a public "galleria" area.

Committee member Michael Adkins said he has been in the building and he believes if a controlled demolition doesn't begin "it will all come down.

"I would rather save some of it than none of it."

Engineering reports have documented crumbling walls, water damage, bowing support pillars and unstable foundations in the 136-year-old sanctuary, which takes up more than two-thirds of the site. Estimates to make repairs have ranged from $2 million to tens of millions.

The city required Santaguida to provide a letter of credit for about $50,000 that provides for conservation of the facing James Street façade of the church, which includes a large arched entrance, and a tower and totals about 16,000 square feet.

It's the first time the city has attached such a condition to a heritage permit, said Steve Robichaud, the city's manager of development planning, heritage and design.

"It covers the stabilization and protection work and ensures the necessary conservation measures are undertaken during construction."

Santaguida said a structural wall is being built inside the church that will keep the façade safe during dismantling. He said crews are "surgically peering" through the building to determine what can be saved. What is removed will be integrated into the new design, he said, including stained glass windows and the stone in the north wall facing Jackson Street.

"We are doing our damnedest to preserve that church," said the president of Toronto-based Stanton Renaissance.

He estimates the total cost of the project is $80 million, which includes the $610,000 he paid for the property.

Janice Brown, president of the Durand Neighbourhood Association, told the committee the public should have more input on plans involving heritage buildings.

She argued the heritage permit review sub-committee, which recommended approval of a demolition permit last fall, should have forwarded the matter.

"How in heaven's name did you make this decision to not have this go forward to the planning and economic development committee and to council? I don't know what your criteria is."

She said the extent of the demolition, the "landmark" value of the building and the controversial nature of the plan meant that it should have been considered by councillors.

"We need to make some changes, otherwise we are going to lose all of our downtown built heritage," said a clearly emotional Brown.

Robichaud said the city is undertaking a review of the 10-year-old delegation bylaw that allows city staff to sign off on heritage applications, as happened in this case.

He said the review wasn't triggered by the James Street Baptist application, but the case will be studied as part of the review.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 12:50 AM

^Super sketchy, dude.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:11 PM

The name of the tower was released today. It'll be called "The Connolly"

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:29 PM

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:23 AM

Boy they are doing a great job of saving this part of the facade:

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 2:22 AM

How else would you like them to organize a massive amount of rough, uniquely shaped rocks that have yet to be cleaned?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
The name of the tower was released today. It'll be called "The Connolly"
Any significance behind the name?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Any significance behind the name?
Joseph Connolly was the name of the architect who designed the church.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 12:10 AM

It's kind of like how many suburban streets are named after what they've replaced > Appletree Ln, Bridlewood Dr, Meadowlands Blvd and on and on. Lame.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 2:09 AM

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:53 AM

Hamilton’s James Street Baptist Church will be revamped into The Connolly, a mixed-use project

It’s always a pleasure to see a developer partner up with the local community, especially when the project involves reshaping a historical landmark. Stanton Renaissance is carefully converting Hamilton’s historic James Street Baptist Church, situated at 98 James Street South, into The Connolly, a mixed-use project.

Built between 1878 and 1882 , the church is the oldest in Hamilton and was actually slated for demolition. But Stanton Renaissance will maintain the familiar facade and attempt to save as much of a building that had been condemned as structurally unsound. The refurbishment will see the space re-imagined as a 30-storey mixed-used space with retail, commercial, hotel and residential components.

As the project transitions, the developer wanted to ensure they weren’t entirely abandoning the old for the new. Part of the church since 1939, the enormous pipe organ was saved from the scrap heap when Louie Santaguida, President of Stanton Renaissance, offered the instrument free to anyone willing to remove it. Northern Organs took him up on the offer and painstakingly removed the organ, pipe by pipe in January. The craved wood facade that surrounded the organ was taken by Historia Restorations and displayed at the historic Treble Hall.

Other artifacts from the structure have found homes across the city with fixtures going to Chuck’s Burger Bar and a sheet music cabinet fitting in at the HumblePie Shop. Gas Works, a non-profit serving at-risk youth, even received a piano, gratis.

The original pews are being sold with the funds passed on to local charities and causes. Around Christmas, Stanton Renaissance donated funds to a child in the east end suffering from brain cancer as well as the Good Food box Program.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 12:30 PM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 9:30 PM

The logo was added to the project site...

Source

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 11:31 PM

I hate seeing churches come down...makes me uneasy.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:02 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Why? It's not really different from any other old building.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:19 AM

^I can assume how you feel about it based on that comment.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I hate seeing churches come down...makes me uneasy.
I know exactly what you mean. Went to radius for lunch, and couldn't keep me eyes off of the deconstruction. Just stood at the front door, staring at it for about a minute before entering the restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 2:09 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^I can assume how you feel about it based on that comment.
Well I'm not christian if that's what you're asking.

I like old buildings plenty, but if they density is going to increase then I don't mind too much (though I wish we could get rid of 1/2-2/3 of the surface parking downtown before tearing anything down).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Well I'm not christian if that's what you're asking.

I like old buildings plenty, but if they density is going to increase then I don't mind too much (though I wish we could get rid of 1/2-2/3 of the surface parking downtown before tearing anything down).
I don’t think that’s what was meant, and I don’t think you need to be Christian to feel uneasy seeing a once-venerated place being demolished. Seeing an old temple or synagogue being torn down isn’t preferable, either.

But who cares really. It’s just our heritage. If we really want to see old stuff, we can take a vacation in Europe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton