HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 1:34 AM

The Destroyed City

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 4:26 AM

A rather depressing display of the loss of heritage buildings downtown. Certainly some buildings in this picture were beyond saving and didn't have "heritage value", but the loss of landmarks like old City Hall and the CIBC building, among others, really reduced Hamilton's heritage building inventory.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 4:50 AM
Hammer'd

Disgusting. Though I note that the Lister Block is shaded red in this as well... I can't blame you. What it is to become isn't too much better than a demolition.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 6:22 AM

whoops! There is another mistake in there too, but this photo is mainly to show the entire blocks that were replaced.

There is evolution and change, with new buildings replacing older ones over and over in every city, but Hamilton has little to show for all this destruction.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:36 PM
Hammer'd

Yup, that definitely comes across. It makes me depressed beyond words. For me, the skyscraper district that we had on James South between King and Main was a HUGE loss. I am so very thankful we still have the Pigott building.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:39 AM

Would be interesting to see this on an even larger scale. Incredible. And incredibly sad.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:05 PM

Meanwhile others are praising Hamilton...

http://www.buffalonews.com/185/story/884855.html

Anyway.

Oh come on. With the exception of a few, those buildings would largely have been demolished in any decent city.

The problem is not the buildings that are gone. It is that in the 80s 90s and 00s this city lost the very ambition the city was built on. Nothing happened.

If this city was doing better business wise I wouldn't mind grabbing a little more red chalk for some of those buildings on King.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 11:52 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
Meanwhile others are praising Hamilton...

http://www.buffalonews.com/185/story/884855.html

Anyway.

Oh come on. With the exception of a few, those buildings would largely have been demolished in any decent city.

The problem is not the buildings that are gone. It is that in the 80s 90s and 00s this city lost the very ambition the city was built on. Nothing happened.

If this city was doing better business wise I wouldn't mind grabbing a little more red chalk for some of those buildings on King.
Nice article, in the Buffalo News.

I tend to agree with you on the assessment of the old downtown. I am old enough to remember most of the old downtown. I was very young but my recollection of those areas of the downtown were of derelect buildings.

I am sure there were some buildings that would have survived to this day, but for the most part, the areas that were bulldozed were razed because they were derelect.

The old CIBC building had to be jacked up every few years. It would sink. When it was built there was no such things as pilings. You could tell when they jacked it up because the sidewalks around the building would slope away from the building for a year or two, until it once again would sink.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 6:46 PM

The old CIBC building had to be jacked up every few years. It would sink. When it was built there was no such things as pilings. You could tell when they jacked it up because the sidewalks around the building would slope away from the building for a year or two, until it once again would sink.

When the original building was built (lower 2 stone floors) the foundations were fine. Only when the upper floors were added did the weight becme a problem.

Last edited by canmanont; Jan 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM. Reason: incorrect description

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:27 AM
try being in the Buff

Here is a similar story I did on BuffaloRising a few years ago
http://archives.buffalorising.com/st...ave_everything

The red Xs in this one show additional buildings that people wanted to destroy
but which have been saved by shear will and determination to defeat the ignorance.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:31 AM
Hammer'd

Wow Buffalo has it bad too. It seems like less of the buildings that were demolished turned into parking lots though? I don't remember as many empty lots as there are in Hamilton.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos