HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
This doesn't look like Commercial Street to me.

I have kind of a hard time seeing that as Commercial Street, too, but if these are views from the top of the Maier Brewery (Brew 102), as they must be, then that has to be Commercial.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:49 PM

Los Angeles, 1899

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Sep 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
I have kind of a hard time seeing that as Commercial Street, too, but if these are views from the top of the Maier Brewery (Brew 102), as they must be, then that has to be Commercial.
I always have a hard time with new perspectives. If this is Commercial then we've never seen this part of it close up nor from this angle and never with this high res. All that said, I can't find any point of reference that I recognise. If this is Commercial then the high ground is beyond the river and the density of nice, well laid out houses seems unlike what I think of when I conjure Commercial Street this far off of Alameda. Here's an image of what I believe to be Aliso, not Alameda, (from earlier in the thread) which (as you well know) runs parallel to Commercial. If this is Aliso, this would be somewhat closer in-town but not by too much. Always hard to tell, but seems to me the houses and properties in this shot are more ramshackle and I can't really believe they'd be less so the farther you get from town and one block south on Commercial.

N. Alameda St.(?) near Commercial St. in 1924

Berkeley-Bancroft

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I always have a hard time with new perspectives. If this is Commercial then we've never seen this part of it close up nor from this angle and never with this high res. All that said, I can't find any point of reference that I recognise. If this is Commercial then the high ground is beyond the river and the density of nice, well laid out houses seems unlike what I think of when I conjure Commercial Street this far off of Alameda. Here's an image of what I believe to be Aliso, not Alameda, (from earlier in the thread) which (as you well know) runs parallel to Commercial. If this is Aliso, this would be somewhat closer in-town but not by too much. Always hard to tell, but seems to me the houses and properties in this shot are more ramshackle and I can't really believe they'd be less so the farther you get from town and one block south on Commercial.

I vote for Ducommon on this one. I definitely don't think that's Aliso in 1924. L.A. streets don't get narrower over time, they only get wider!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 8:54 PM

here's what the archive says about the subject pic...

Panoramic view of Los Angeles looking southwest on Aliso St. from the brewery, February 1899

Panoramic view of Los Angeles looking southwest on Aliso St. from the brewery (Maier Brewing Co.?), February 1899 Photograph of a panoramic view of Los Angeles looking southwest on Aliso Street from the brewery (Maier Brewing Co.?), February 1899. Residential buildings cover a majority of the area in the foreground. Horse-drawn carriages are parked along the curb of the street at right. Clusters of large buildings of the city can be seen in the extreme background. Dark clouds loom over the area to the right. Previous record stated: "location of the brewery is now the location of Union Station".
CHS-5785 -- Legible signs include: "H.W. Stoll & Co., Los Angeles sodaworks, bottles of [...] and W[...]lemp's St. Louis[...], [...]ager beer", "Duke Orlando cigars", "[furnish]ed rooms", "M.A. Newmark & Co.", "El Palencia cigars", "[...] Fox's health food", "El Merito cigars", "General Author cigar".
CHS-5784 -- Legible signs include: "[wat]er lifter, P.N. Odonnels, iron and brass foundry, machine shop, 1869", "coffees, teas, spices", "[...] carriage [...]", "Arcadia", "hotel [...]", "Rock Island Plows, Milwaukee mowers, farm wagons", "Percheron stallion kept here", "wholesale, retail, wood, coal, hay & grain, charcoal & kindling, tel. Main 1298", "Aliso Street, board, feed & sale stable, horses boarded by the day, week or month, stalls for rent", "southern California", "bakery", "F.W. Braun".

USCdigital archive/Title Insurance and Trust / C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 9:00 PM

Did you look at the photostitch panorama? It's pretty clear what streets are what. (It's the photo on the right that's looking southwest on Aliso Street.)

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Sep 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 9:15 PM

ebay

listed as...
I would have guessed a later date.

I searched the 1929 & 1932 city directories for an address to no avail.
(although I found out the names of the company's pres., vice-pres. & sec-treas.)

below: This is a looooong shot, but I thought someone might recognized the silhouette of the impressive building
that is reflected in the window.

detail

Does it look familiar to anyone?
__

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Did you look at the photostitch panorama above? It's pretty clear what streets are what. (It's the photo on the right that's looking southwest on Aliso Street.)
Of course not, I never pan right! lol. Now it's clear, we're looking back toward town not east. In the first pic we're seeing the Broadway City Hall tower. Of course the photostitch brings everything into order. Thanks. Why did I think we were supposed to be looking east? I need a drink.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Sep 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay

listed as...
I would have guessed a later date.

I searched the 1929 & 1932 city directories for an address to no avail.
(although I found out the names of the company's pres., vice-pres. & sec-treas.)
Try 622 N. Western Avenue. http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCar..._doc=hollywood

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 10:20 PM

Thx Chuckaluck I searched 1929 to 1936.
__

Hollywood Boulevard looking east from Wilcox Avenue.

detail

---> pan right

below: The original postcard.

ebay

__

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 10:37 PM

The Ralph Hamlin Franklin Dealership in Los Angeles circa 1910.

http://www.franklincar.org/FranklinG...ase-100505.htm

below: A faithful recreation of Hamlin's famed Franklin Dealership has been built at the Gilmore Car Museum in southeast Michigan.

http://www.franklincar.org/FranklinG...ase-100505.htm

__

Ralph Hamlin in 1901.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Ori...e%20Racing.htm

below: ....and in 1911.

http://www.mindjunker.com/photograph...-45-pics.html/

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 11:39 PM

I thought about shopping on Larchmont at the Safeway http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9181 and then was later disappointed to find out that the matinee at the Larchmont Theater had been canceled due to the theater's previous demolition.

Larchmont Theater 149 North Larchmont. (Sorry we never met.)

I suspect these four images are companions with one another. Don't believe I have seen them here before*.

1918 Main Street looking south from Third Street. What caught my attention was the "mention" in the accompanying notes for the first image of another movie theater, "The Automatic" located at 310 Main St. (?) Frankly, I am not so sure that I can see the "Automatic" sign, but I tend to overlook many obvious things . . .
USC Digital

1918 - Featuring the Good Fellows Grotto - Grill and Oyster House. Wonder how it compared to Carpenter's? (And did it feature a trough spittoon?)
USC Digital

1918 Second Street, looking west from Main Street.
USC Digital

1918 Main Street looking south from Sixth Street

USC Digital
* (For those keeping score, this image was recently posted here> http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...CHS-14090?v=hr)

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Sep 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 1:09 AM

Quote:

ivy station, los angeles, 1905
At the current location of the Culver City station of Los Angeles Metro's Exposition light rail line, this is a westbound view of "Ivy Station" in Culver City, California circa 1905. Located near the corner of Venice and Robertson Boulevards, the station was later renamed Culver Junction with the addition of a line down Venice Blvd in the late (19)00's and eventually closed in 1953.
image via Metro Transportation Library and Archive

Locomotive, the "San Gabriel" brought to LA in 1869. (Curious what ever became of it.) Owned by Los Angeles County and ran between San Pedro and LA. This line competed with the Los Angeles & Independence RR, which ran between Santa Monica to Los Angeles.

The "San Gabriel":
http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/fac...ages/train.gif

Interesting treatment of Rail line between LA and Santa Monica here>http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_fo...recursors.html

Southern Pacific RR at Santa Monica Circa 1900. Notice Santa Monica Hotel and what appears to be a race track including a partially covered grand stand or bleachers.
USC Digital

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:08 AM

Santa Monica - The Beautiful Arcadia Hotel and what gave way to the McClure Tunnel.

This beautiful Hotel looks as thought it could have given the Hotel Del and others a run for their money. For those that don't know, it was demolished in 1909 and it has a Noirish past that was probably discussed on this forum. Have seen images below with different dates, circa 1895-1900.

The Southern Pacific had an interesting tunnel at the intersection of Olympic Blvd and PCH that was ultimately named the "McClure tunnel." The tunnel, which has been recently declared "functionally obsolete," was constructed in 1935. It was named after Robert E. McClure in 1969. According to CalHighways: "Robert McClure was the editor and publisher of the Santa Monica Evening Outlook, a delegate to the 1964 Republican Convention, and a member of the California Highway Commission from 1954 to 1962. He is remembered as 'the father of the Santa Monica Freeway'."

Precursor to the McClure Tunnel 1895(?)
http://digital.smpl.org LAPL

SMPL

bridgehunterflicker

Last edited by BifRayRock; Dec 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:10 AM

Another "type" of railroad and the Arcadia

http://paradiseleased.wordpress.com/...hotel-arcadia/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:28 AM

Los Angeles Herald 3-3-1907

Google SV March 2011

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
I live across the pond so am slightly restricted in getting information - maybe someone could tell how I go about getting details of Los Angeles properties - ie date built - names of owners and dates owned - is there a web-site I could check this out - or is it restricted information ?

thanks - Bilbo
Hi Bilbo,

Go here:
LA County GIS-NET

Launch the app and a new window opens. You can search by address or zoom in on the map. It seems like only the main address of the parcel shows up in the search - for instance a single piece of property might have one or more buildings with addresses of 312, 314, 316, 318 and 320, but the piece of property itself is only identified by one address. The 'Identify' link should pop up a window with the info you want. It's not 100% - some old buildings are not properly entered into the database and the 'year built' or other fields just show 0. There are further links to assessors maps. I don't think it shows past owners.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
^^^LOL. Sometimes I can be pretty slow.

I have those pics, but I never put two and two together that the pics are of the SAME tunnel until your explanation
"Here's the east end of the same tunnel."

No wonder I'm always confused by the tunnel pics. I never considered the other side of the hill. Duh!

below: A photo of the 3rd Street tunnel, west entrance.

usc digital archive

below: The only description on this photo was Hope Street, Bunker Hill.

Cal State Library

above: Can you imagine the sordid 'going-ons' inside the Hotel Elmar.

This is a good example of a photograph with 'noir' qualities.....
The transient SRO hotel...the lone man....the empty streets and overcast sky.
"On Bunker Hill" says that the Hotel Elmar was located at 235 S. Hope. This would make it approximately where the Disney Hall is now (or the REDCAT) part of the building which faces Hope. While it is somewhat updated the retaining wall is still there and Hope is split as it goes through that area.
I believe the second pic is from above the 3rd Street tunnel entrance of the first pic. So the Hotel Elmar site would be approximately the north half of that cooling/ventilation building that sits just outside the tunnel. They extended the tunnel a bit, so I expect that the road coming down the hill towards camera would now be the site of the southbound lanes of Hope St. between Kosciuszko Way & 3rd, and/or the sidewalk area.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:42 PM

And with Real Indians?

Western band at the Farmers Market Fall Festival, Herman Schultheis, 1937

A five piece country and western band stand in a circle wearing black pants, boots, checkered shirts and cowboy hats in front of a poster which promises a "free circus, real Indians" at the Farmers Market Fall Festival. Instruments visible include a stand up bass, a fiddle and a guitar.
The Fall Festival/County Fair was held October 27-30, 1937, at the Farmers Market. Earl Bell Gilmore started the Farmers Market in 1934 in an empty field on the corner of Third and Fairfax (6333 West Third Street). An expansion and reconstruction project in 1941 included the addition of the Clock Tower.

LAPL

Watching a country band at the Farmers Market Fall Festival, Herman Schultheis, 1937

'A crowd gathers to watch a country and western band at the Farmers Market Fall Festival.' A crowd?

Walking by a tepee at the Farmers Market Fall Festival, Herman Schultheis, 1937

From the look on this guy's face, he's not a happy Indian. Could be trouble.

'A man wearing braids and traditional Native American clothing walks past a tepee at the Farmers Market Fall Festival.'

LAPL

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Sep 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM. Reason: additional image

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 7:35 PM

I get the address 1932-36 as 731 N. Western Avenue. It appears to have been renumbered to 737 N. Western Avenue but I do not know how to post the image of the current building using these controls yet.

Last edited by agakhan44; Sep 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Code appeared; not photo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos